Sign in to follow this  
Losi XXT-CR

XV-01T build

So I bought this back in December. I wanted something more on road capable. But still able to handle a bit of rough terrain.

I opted for the truck Asterion version of this chassis feeling it would suit better. 

Haven’t had chance to run it yet. Need to get some extended motor wires and I haven’t finished the shell yet. 

1AF703F0-1607-4867-BF8C-2F44A29EF990.jpg

I had a motor/ESC combo sitting on the shelf. It’s a SkyRC Leopard 9T (4370kv) motor in a finned can. And 60amp ESC. Its a sensorless setup sadly. But will likely be fine. 

83A71CC1-5B1D-41FC-AC6E-C270EA0F32D5.jpg

I has to make some modifications to the sealed ESC box. As sadly it was too small for my chosen ESC. And you can’t leave the cover out as one of the inner arches attached to it. 

Actually this sums up my feelings on this kit. It’s been a fun build although the instructions have been a little vague in places. But it does seem a running theme with this chassis that every single part of it is needlessly complicated. 

Lots of little components when one simple one would have sufficed. 

And none of it seems designed with maintenance in mind. It’s built as though you’ll never take it apart again. Getting to the diffs is a major strip down. 

Also not sold on needing a screwdriver to change the battery either. And traditional ‘stick’ style packs seem the be on the only ones to fit well. Regular hardcase Lipos will be a no go. 

However overall I’m impressed with the quality of the build and the array of different plastics for the varying components. 

It is tiny though. I know it’s 1/10th scale. But compared to a 1/10th stadium truck it seems half the size!

9E70F3D5-9759-422E-8743-A02B093C83B1.jpg

7B15DEF3-5229-47A3-9463-FA56DF4DB12D.jpg

Can’t wait to run it. :D

More to follow....

• Like 1

Quite keen on one of these, mainly because of the engineering differences from a normal TC. Enclosed gearboxes with belt drive makes it similar to a TA03; but the concealing of the belt makes it unique. 

Update:

Got to run it more at the weekend. Sorry no vid this time. 

Mess running it in a big open field with rough variable length grass. 

The stock tyres work much better here. Although it does tend to grip roll very easily. 

It’s quite a feisty beast with the 4370kv motor. Almost looks comical at top speed as it looks completely in-scale. Despite fairly long grass it was bang on the same top speed as my Arrma Raider XL BLX 1/8th scale buggy on 2S. 

Think I might try fitting a gyro to the Asterion as I feel it will suit it. 

I do have a click coming from it. I recall when I fitted the diffs to the diff casing there was a tight spot as I rotated them. But I couldn’t figure out where or what was causing it. Hoping it will “bed” in with some more use. 

Will try and get a vid of it next time. 

Looks super quick on the concrete and great fun on the grass. Amazing how it ends up on its wheels after most rolls.

Great fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Looks super quick on the concrete and great fun on the grass. Amazing how it ends up on its wheels after most rolls.

Great fun!

Thanks. Yeah pretty impressed with how it goes. About the right pace but on the speedier side :D

It does seem a little prone to rolling. But I guess the trade off is, you wouldn’t be able to take a normal 1/10th rally car on that sort of grass too. 

On 2/18/2018 at 10:14 PM, Losi XXT-CR said:

Also not sold on needing a screwdriver to change the battery either. And traditional ‘stick’ style packs seem the be on the only ones to fit well. Regular hardcase Lipos will be a no go. 

According to this picture a hardcase 2s lipo fits just fine, it even looks like it could take a 3s almost.

_MG_8996small.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip