Running Fox

Tamiya Hornet with lights

Who has experience with mounting led lights on a Tamiya Hornet? 

Any tips or tricks, especially on mounting lights at the rear of a Hornet.

Regards

Walter

What exactly does that unit do? Does it simply turn on lights?  Or can it do brake lights and turns and such?

2 hours ago, kwkenuf said:

What exactly does that unit do? Does it simply turn on lights?  Or can it do brake lights and turns and such?

TLU-01 by itself does no controlling, it just powers (up to 8pr of) LEDs from main battery.

TLU-02 is the one that intercepts signals from your servo leads and can control the LEDs... but it doesn't connect to LEDs - you'll need one TLU-02 plus at least one or 2 of the TLU-01s for full functionality.

imho that's a lot of underbody space required and a rats nest of spaghetti wiring :unsure: IMHO there are cheaper & neater all-in-1 controller boxes & LED kits from 3rd party

11 hours ago, WillyChang said:

TLU-01 by itself does no controlling, it just powers (up to 8pr of) LEDs from main battery.

TLU-02 is the one that intercepts signals from your servo leads and can control the LEDs... but it doesn't connect to LEDs - you'll need one TLU-02 plus at least one or 2 of the TLU-01s for full functionality.

imho that's a lot of underbody space required and a rats nest of spaghetti wiring :unsure: IMHO there are cheaper & neater all-in-1 controller boxes & LED kits from 3rd party

:blink: Agreed.  Depending on what a person wants, a hacked servo can be a simple choice.  I did that for the lights I put on my monster truck.  Plugged into the third channel of the radio to turn them on and off.  I also went that route to set up brake lights, which I plan on doing on my next truck.  I don’t care for blinky turns or other flashers, but yeah, the third party control boxes look like a smart choice.

19 hours ago, Running Fox said:

The postman brought ... a Tamiya light system which my son and I will try to build in a Tamiya Hornet Re-Re

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53909

Now we only have to wait till the postman brings us the shapeway (Ampro Engineering) light houses and lenses

Wow, I just realized that thing is $64!  A cheap $3 analog servo and a signal splitter would do the same thing.