MickinOz

Kyosho Nostalgic Collection

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a number of vintage Tamya's, Sand Scorcher, Bruiser, Hot shots, but now I have something really special..for me in any case.

Its taken a few years, but I have finally sort out a Kyosho 250 GTO Nostalgic to add my collection.

I originally bought one new in 1996, sold it in 1997. I bought a new Daytona in 1999, and have kept it to this day. I picked up a second Daytona a little while ago (not in the photo) and a 2 wheel drive configured version of the Lotus Europa. I've massed a few spares for the engine now, and have rebuilt all my GX11s.

I'm pretty pleased.

IMG_20180221_225427.jpg

IMG_20180221_215001.jpg

IMG_20180221_214946(1).jpg

• Like 6

Nice! I always liked that series. I had the MGB back in the early 2000s, got it for a song from the clearance shelf at the local hobby shop. Drove the wheels off it, and, naturally, completely trashed the body. It was the only nitro-powered model I ever really liked. Great cars, nice to drive, and well-done scale models too.

I thought perhaps Kyosho would consider a rerelease based on their's and other makers successes in the rerelease space, but alas, no..

I had the Daytona Cobra in '97 and I loved it!! That thing was fast! We went to Florida in '97 and we went on a hobby shop search down there and I got all kind of hop ups for it so I could add them on to it when we got back from our trip. I sold it a year later and I miss that car now.

Lynn

The Nostalgic Series is indeed very nice and Kyosho obviously put a lot of effort into this. So what wonders me is that so little was done to give the different models wheels and tires  with the rights size and appropriately high sidewalls instead of just lowprofile 1/10 touring car size wheels and tires. Even if the bodies had been true 1/10 scale, it would have looked weird, but because the bodies are different larger scales (some almost 1/8 scale, if I remember correctly), the resulting models mostly look a lot less nice than the boxarts indicate. Sure, it can be corrected, and I can understand that Kyosho decided for the same size touring car wheels and tires for all for simplicity, but with the effort obviously put into the bodies, I still think it's sad.

I thought the Cobra/Daytona/MGB/etc Nostalgic Series were all Pure10 true 1/10  touringcar size with 1.9" wheels.

The ScaleSeries were the larger SuperTen size with 2" wheels.

I don't know about the others but the MGB worked out to almost exactly 1/9 scale. Which means that the real car's 14 inch wheels should have scaled down to 1.55 inches. But there's also that weird effect where correctly scaled wheels often look too small on a model, so maybe Kyosho did it right after all. They were awfully pretty fake wire wheels...

• Like 1

On ‎23‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 4:59 PM, WillyChang said:

I thought the Cobra/Daytona/MGB/etc Nostalgic Series were all Pure10 true 1/10  touringcar size with 1.9" wheels.

If I remember correctly, the actual scale (with one decimal) was stated on the box of each model and not a single one of them was as small as 1/10 scale.

Just for fun, I checked the dimensions for each model in the 1998 Kyosho catalog and as they vary (except wheelbase of course), there are good reasons to believe Kyosho stated actual values. I just have a three of the bodies in the series myself, so I can't measure them all, but if of interest, I can measure the ones I have (Porsche 906, Ferrari 330, Cobra Coupe).

I also googled the dimensions of the real cars, and because especially the wheelbase of some of these cars varied in reality, I took the average (doesn't really make a significant difference in the calculation anyway).

As height is not a fixed dimension, neither for the real cars, nor for the models (the Kyosho 2WD's are stated 3mm lower than the 4WD's), I reckon this shouldn't be considered, but I calculated the scale height anyway. An "average" scale of all the dimensions (less height) probably doesn't make much senses either, but it could give an indication. So here you go:

Untitled 2.jpg

On ‎24‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 1:17 AM, markbt73 said:

I don't know about the others but the MGB worked out to almost exactly 1/9 scale. Which means that the real car's 14 inch wheels should have scaled down to 1.55 inches. But there's also that weird effect where correctly scaled wheels often look too small on a model, so maybe Kyosho did it right after all. They were awfully pretty fake wire wheels...

It's not so much the wheel diameters that annoy me, but the low profile tires and the width. The width is OK for some of the bodies, but especially the rear tires of the GT40, 906, 330 and Cobras look silly, in my humble opinion.

As for the wire wheels, though fake, I think they look rather convincing for being injection molded. Beat the "wire wheel" stickers for disk wheels included with the Carson Mercedes 300SLR "722" Mille Miglia by lightyears! I actually think they are so good, that I put them aside with a Kawada Toyota 2000GT body for a rainy day. A Tamiya "Smoke" paint wash to give them a little more depth and a set of knockoff nuts to enhance the look, maybe?

Yes, not perfect but totally nostalgic. I picked up another but chance today. I haven't even opened it yet, I'm that pleased.

I'm a huge fan of the Kyosho nostalgic series cars!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1