Man1c M0nk3y

Man1c’s Top Force ‘17 Basher

Well, I had hoped to have done more by now, but I’ve had so much on it’s just been a battle to find any spare time. I did however manage to do some more on the front and rear assemblies last week, so excuse the delayed update.

The rear then...

26953658208_008480315d_z.jpg

The tower from Fibre-Lyte as previously posted and some Top Force Evo turnbuckles (53109)

40781316752_4b7a8743b7_z.jpg

Ready to go on. Note the lovely blue lock nut(!) and screw cap washers. All will become apparent.

40781313632_ac58c50bb3_z.jpg

There’s those washers. Better load distribution is the aim. Also note the lower of the three holes have been used for the top arms. This hole most closely matched the original kit tower mounting hole, however this became a problem later.

40781304082_e4208946f3_z.jpg

Theres that lovely blue nut! More strengthening. 16mm machine screw used vs 10mm from kit. 

The rear lower arms now. Nothing fancy here. All kit spec...

26953658538_08a7233cdf_z.jpg

Ready to go on with a cheeky little addition...

40781316272_4d2f5748a2_z.jpg

This is when it all started going wrong though. 

I spotted the universals going cheap on eBay and grabbed them without really thinking beyond checking the fronts I already had matched the overall length of the rear axle/dogbone arrangement which they do, however nothing is ever that simple is it 🙄

26957467258_9f54510761_z.jpg

With the turnbuckles set exactly as detailed the only way everything would fit was to now use the top outer mounting hole. Not a problem I thought and carried on with the front, however it was niggling away at the back of my mind, so after a bit of looking around and playing about it seems the Top Force comes with negative camber already dialled in but setting up how I had was resulting in pretty much zero camber. Now yes the point of the turnbuckles would allow me to get that back but I wasn’t happy so today I’ve swapped the universals back to kit with axle/dogbone arrangement and back to the lower mounting hole.

This picture highlights the difference. Universal on left side...

26135904547_159665957f_z.jpg

And both sides done...

40297491754_fcdb16cf5c_z.jpg

I’m almost certain the issue is because the axle on the universal has a slight ridge all the way round which the axle in the kit doesn’t have, so although the overall length matches the universal is pushing the hub away resulting in the top arm not being long enough it is intended place. I could I’m sure have adjusted around the problem but I’m happier going back to the kit setup. 

All’s not lost and the money wasted however as it seems they are a perfect fit (albeit overkill I’m sure) for the rear of the DT03 so that’s had an unexpected ‘upgrade’ instead.

Onto the front then and I’m happy to say that was incident free 😁

40785467482_b8f574fda4_z.jpg

The Front Fibre-Lyte tower, some more TF Evo turnbuckles and some more of those blue locknuts, purely for tarty reasons this time!

40785467572_d5cf37f2ca_z.jpg

Now then, the contentious part maybe for some...

40827231841_0170b711e1_z.jpg

I just don’t like the red front hubs. I don’t think they gel with the rest of the car. Traditional or not, they had to go! The bearings are just 1150 rubber sealed as per.

25955764737_3304fa031e_z.jpg

Lower arms, universals (problem free this time!) and some light weight king pins (53141).

40827233961_0553e3452f_z.jpg

And all done...

40118108494_8e872f9ae1_z.jpg

39932543685_45935fea38_z.jpg

Shocks next, just need to find the time!

• Like 3

This build is pretty, and pretty well presented, and pretty detailed! That’s 3 pretty’s!

All that prep for the top rear diff cover must surely work with the powerful motor this is going to run.... watching with interest, it looks a great build.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

This build is pretty, and pretty well presented, and pretty detailed! That’s 3 pretty’s!

All that prep for the top rear diff cover must surely work with the powerful motor this is going to run.... watching with interest, it looks a great build.

Lol, I’ll take all the pretties you can give 😁

I actually enjoy the documentation side as much as the build and also happy to share the slips along the way rather than just gloss over and show the finished/correct version, especially if it helps someone else. 

I certainly hope it all proves worthwhile and yes the intention is something naughty powering the thing when I get to that stage. Really need to carry on with the DT03 plans mind. Just not enough time!

• Haha 1

Are you building yourself a support for the shock tower? I'd recommend it, I crashed hard the other day and pulled the shock tower nearly off. Bent the long screw with the nut on the back :o

Luckily the gearbox case survived, I've bought a spare just in case but also added this:

IMG_20180323_213317247.jpg

I need to tweak the mountings slightly but it's solid now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phil5556 said:

Are you building yourself a support for the shock tower? I'd recommend it, I crashed hard the other day and pulled the shock tower nearly off. Bent the long screw with the nut on the back :o

Luckily the gearbox case survived, I've bought a spare just in case but also added this:

Unless I drilled the tower I wouldn’t be able to do as you have as I don’t have any holes in that area. 

I’ll have a look at the setup however. 

A very tidy little mod you’ve done though 👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Unless I drilled the tower I wouldn’t be able to do as you have as I don’t have any holes in that area. 

I’ll have a look at the setup however. 

A very tidy little mod you’ve done though 👍

You could mount a similar thing to the wing mount holes with longer screws and ballnuts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

You could mount a similar thing to the wing mount holes with longer screws and ballnuts.

True that’s certainly an option, cheers for pointing it out. Need to find some time to look at it as the build progresses forward. 

It'll be on hold for a couple of weeks now with work/life. 

• Like 1

I drilled mine. If mounted up on the wing mounts it would foul the body, that's about as high as you can go and keep it hidden.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil5556 said:

I drilled mine. If mounted up on the wing mounts it would foul the body, that's about as high as you can go and keep it hidden.

Ah right. I’ll look into it closer to the time. 

2 hours ago, novicelad said:

I want one of these now 

Best be quick then. Getting harder to find. Tamico did still have some last time I looked. 

25 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Best be quick then. Getting harder to find. Tamico did still have some last time I looked. 

Unfortunately feeling a bit skint at the mo I've added it to the birthday list

41 minutes ago, novicelad said:

Know that feeling only too well at the minute. Hopefully somebody thinks you’ve been well behaved and treats you! 

4 hours ago, novicelad said:

i got my top-force from tonys tamiya parts last month and he had a few left  so may be worth a try when your ready

On 26.3.2018 at 1:13 AM, Phil5556 said:

Excellent solution, this one i will have to adapt on my Top Force. 

So I’ve not updated this for a little while. I’ve been distracted with sorting the girls DT03 out and then with a pretty big change in circumstances it’s ground to a stop. 

I have no idea when it’s likely to get finished going forward. 

I could finish it to a degree by just finishing it as per kit but I don’t want to do that as it'll never be what I wanted to do. Plus, I don’t have spare electrics and won’t be robbing them out of the girls buggy.

So, I don’t need to get rid of it as it’s costing me nothing sat on the shelf and can just as easily stay there. 

It is however annoying me not being able to now finish it. 

If anyone is interested in buying it off me then please get in touch. I’m not after making a profit or anything but equally won’t let it go for peanuts. It can sit on the shelf for as long as it takes in that case!

It still sits exactly as the build progress above. 

UK only please. 

Resurrection time!

Did some work on the Top Force today.

It did end up sitting on the shelf for all this time and received nothing more than cursory looks!

So after reading @bjorklo ridiculously good TF build again recently I decided it can’t sit on the shelf any longer and can instead be another basher for the girls so they don’t have to argue so much over the DT03!

Anyway, the TF.

It’s in a weird state of partially ‘hopped up’ and partially standard now. 

46038136474_205173805e_z.jpg

Nothing special or not seen before. Just need to decide on some electrics and sort body.

With regards to earlier pictures it now has no turnbuckles so need to figure out some for it, and also go back to the drawing board on the shocks after selling the Hi-Caps. 

Anyone successfully got the DF03 alloy shocks on seeing as they are the recommended hop-up for the Manta-Ray? Tried searching for the new manual but my google skills are weak!

• Thanks 1

Forgot to add and can’t seem to edit post now but the only thing that’s non kit beyond the original build progress/pictures is the alloy servo mounts.

Got them off someone on eBay who was making them back when I got the car. They are not actually for the TF (they are for another Tamiya model however) but the measurements were the same iirc. I’ll know for certain once a servo goes in. Didn’t pay a lot anyway if not.

Just need an alloy version of J12 now  Anyone know of any?

Small update then. 

Tye servo mounts are spot on. Used an old dead servo to check. Forgot I still had it as it was in a box for later investigation that never happened!

46808731442_190cd99c1e_z.jpg

Also, that boring black plastic J12 piece has gone. After posting earlier about wanting an alloy version I came across a Facebook post stating that the Varja/Avante/Egress part fits. Only place with it was Tamico which gave a cheeky excuse to get some other bits!

46860799281_208c22a031_z.jpg

46808731392_c738352221_z.jpg

Purely shiny factor really but think it looks so much better and ties in the rest of the alloy parts. 

Part number for anyone interested is TA-13455211

Not much happening with this one. No time at the minute sadly. 

I have however done a few quick jobs on it. 

Firstly when building the gearboxes up I swapped the prop and cups to the Yeah Racing ones. There is a lot of fore/aft movement with it so I stuck a 3mm o-ring in each cup which removed the play but also made it stiff which admittedly I didn’t really notice at first.  I have now removed the o-rings and everything moves so much easier and smoother but the play is back. Whether that’s a problem or not really I don’t know. Apparently the stock part is the same though so probably not. 

Seeing as this is now going to be another basher for the kids I’ve fitted the little rear gearbox guard thing off the Manta Ray. Possibly of minimal use but I like the look and I can hope it’ll deflect some impact. 

I’m also not personally keen on the TF’s spoiler mount so I’ve fitted the Manta Ray plastic one for now. I may change my mind on this though when it’s all done. 

33216006928_daf315bfdc_z.jpg

And as you’ll notice it now has tyres. Was going to just fit the kit tyres but they are too narrow to fit the DF03 wheels. I was going to stick some Schumacher rubber on but heard some good stuff about these ones so gave them a shot. 

40126275813_f329435924_z.jpg

They are Fastrax Turf Ripper which is apt as the girls will mostly use it in the park on grass. Time will tell if they are actually any good but with all 4 costing me what 2 Schumachers would have been I’ll not complain. 

Hopefully the next update should see some progress on the shell and maybe even electrics. 

• Like 2