Sign in to follow this  
Zac_F83

Back with a keeper! NIB Quad Rider EV build!

I have been looking at these kits for a long time - 4 years or so when I first got back into RC. Said that if I'm getting back in I'm getting the kit I've wanted, but couldn't justify the cost of a NIB kit. Said that 2 weeks ago, and started looking for kits..

After a week of nothing but staring at the 1 pic on RCmotomaniacs, I finally found one local of all places - a heavily used, and beat nitro that was converted to electric. Struck a deal to pick it up the following weekend (2.5 hour drive so had to wait til the weekend).

2 days after making that deal I'm on eBay searching for parts, vintage electronics, and searched expensive first, and BAM and NIB Quad Rider EV kit pops up on the top of the page. $100 shipped cheaper than RCmoto. Emailed the seller an offer, which went unanswered, so I thought about it for a day, and pulled the trigger on it next night.. Seller didn't confirm it was complete but all the important stuff was there, and uncut/modified. (Paid $475 shipped for it), and super excited to build/rebuild this kit finally!

Immediately after buying the kit, I started searching for parts in the 1997-2003 range, and settled on this setup after not getting to lucky on Facebook or finding any real decent parts/motors on eBay-

Novak GT7 ESC
P2K2 Epic 27t stock motor
Trinity Kinwald Dirtinator 13x2 motor
Kyosho Scorpion 12mm hex 2.2 5 spoke wheels
Reproduction Tecnacraft Scorpion 1.75/1.9 4 spoke wheels (going to mod to fit)
Unknown vintage knobby 1.5/1.9 tires
Futaba MJ T2PHKA TX/FP-R122JE RX/S148 servo
Fast Eddie bearing kit
New Orion 3000mah 7.2 NiMH batteries (2)

Still need -
32p pinions
2.2 tires
Make scale nerf bars/ foot nets
New scale shocks (AE or similar once I figure out the lengths they need to be)
New turnbuckles/rod ends
JConcepts 1.7 Double Dee's (anyone have a pair they will sell??)

Quad Rider.jpg

Quad Rider 1.jpg

Dirtinator motor.jpg

GT7 Combo.jpg

Kyosho 5 spoke.jpg

Tecnacraft wheels.jpg

Orion batteries.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks! It is going to be a ton of fun for sure I think! looking for shocks at the moment haha

• Like 1

Any updates on this build? I recently finished restoring my Quad Rider EV and probably have some useful set up information if you've never ran this model. 

If your looking for factory tires the TR17 spike tire is still available via ebay it was a factory option as indicated in the back of the manual. Its a larger tire than the micro pin, but does not look too out of place, it excels in grass,and varying terrain...little skiddish on a blue groove track but manageable. 

The factory front shocks are severely over dampened as stock, but the spring rate is correct. I was looking at the aftermarket route initially as well, but most of the lengths available were for monster trucks, or scale crawlers and the spring rates, and dampening just will not cope with the weight of this model. I ended up purchasing a new set of W-5143 long shocks in yellow "also optional factory upgrades". These come with multiple pistons to allow varying levels of compression. I believe I'm using the lightest pistons "most holes" coupled to the factory springs, a large preload spacer and 30 weight oil. This combo is amazing and is how the model should have come from the factory. 

The rear shock is under dampened from the factory but I've been unable to figure out a ideal solution. I would like to make or find a piston that has more compression "less holes" because merely using super thick oil still wont cut it. To help the situation I run a small lightweight Venom lipo 2S 2000mah battery which weighs a fraction of a stick pack, It also reduces weight up high and the tendency to rollover, I get roughly 15 min run time out of this battery. 

As I'm sure you've found the pitch for the spur gear is unique and difficult to find correct pinions for. Kyosho USA told me its a 48P pinion, but I'm not sure of the "MOD" size...Robinson Racing may have something to fit if they can get one long enough to reach the spur. So far I've been running the factory 12 tooth pinion, I'd like a little more top speed that a 14,or 15 tooth would offer but also do not want to wreck this thing as parts are super scarce!!!

My quad is a resto-mod style build using:

Brushless Kyosho Lemans 2000kv motor 

Kyosho Lemans 240S ESC

Standard Futaba non digi servo, and 203gf reciever

Venom 2S Lipo 2000mah 30ish C discharge rate