steelo

re re optima 'wanders'

I have a re re Optima and noticed today that the car tends to 'wander' when you steer it left or right. After you exit a turn and let go of the steering, it just wants to keep turning that direction. It's like the front wheels aren't centering after a turn. It doesn't appear anything is binding and I'm using a pretty new high torque servo which 'seems' to center okay. The tires are pretty bald now since it's mainly only seen use on the asphalt. Any ideas?

The servo saver is very strong on these, i don’t think it’ll be steering, unless the servo horn is loose.

Did you make sure the rear toe-in blocks are in correctly? I use the middle setting #2, the two marks ( = ) should face forwards.

I had a similar issue that i thought was also my servo saver, my servo and even thought the kyosho universals i added. After playing around for a few days trying things out i found out it was the screws holding the front hubs that the king pin flange tube goes into. If they are overtightened they lock the steering or substantially hold it back even with my hitec high torque metal gear servo i use. You must still use threadlock but do not overtighten. I learned the hard way and lost the pipe and had to order more for $12

F3C864F9-CCF5-40B8-AE89-C01586B1983A.png

Ok, I might be an idiot but the blocks have hash marks on both ends. I forget does it matter which way the block goes in so long as the hash marks face inward facing the front of the car?

I was looking at the rear toe-in 'blocks' on the rear of the car as I think I had one installed incorrectly. One wheel seemed straight (0 degrees toe in) while the other had ~2 degrees toe-in. I removed and reinstalled both of them. My confusion was that both ends of the blocks had hash marks. So, I was unsure if it mattered which way they went in as long as when looking at them from the front of the car the hashes face inwards towards the chassis.

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I was looking at the suspension 'blocks' on the rear of the car to adjust the toe in. I think I had one in incorrectly. One wheel seems straight while the other had toe-in. Those are the blocks I was referring to =)

Sorry, I missed your previous post. I’m glad you spotted the error. Post an update after your next run. 👍

Thanks, I hope this corrects the issue. I didn’t run it yesterday but after I fixed the toe-in issue I noticed the front steering mechanism felt pretty 'sloppy' and loose by hand. I’ll have to go over it again tonight and make sure all the nuts and screws are tight. Parts definitely shouldn’t be worn out yet, it gets run maybe once every 2-3 months…