paullyjay

Alternative Blackfoot Bodyshell

I've recently acquired a re-re Monster Beetle, which I plan to convert to a Blackfoot, I wanted to get a bashed up second hand re-re shell, perhaps one with damage that I could refurb and use as a basher, but I've had no luck locating one and I don't really want to spend the £50ish to buy all the new bits when it's going to be used as a runner... So I was wondering if any one here knows of somewhere (preferably in the UK) where I could find a polycarbonate/lexan copy of the original Blackfoot shell - I'm looking for the F150 with the rear wheel arch flares, or something very similar...

Cheers

Paul

You could always get a polycarbonate / lexan Subaru Brat body and use that to make a Mud Blaster...

If not, then have a look at Prolines or HPI's website and see if they have any generic bodies that look close enough to what you are after..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Backlash said:

You could always get a polycarbonate / lexan Subaru Brat body and use that to make a Mud Blaster...

If not, then have a look at Prolines or HPI's website and see if they have any generic bodies that look close enough to what you are after..

I may have found a Proline shell...

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=380477

But now I can't seem to find any measurements for the original Blackfoot body as a comparison... I have a feeling this one might be a little bit too big...

Your find might fit.  I measured up the Frog body I have laying aroud... the wheelbase is about 245mm.  That blue body says 257mm.  

It's a bit different, but I like this body, but it's so expensive.  Like you, I don't want to spend that much money on a body.  

324mm wheelbase is way too big for a Blackfoot anyway.  

Image result for Pro-Line Crawler 1946 Dodge Power Wagon Clear Body PRO349900

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies/1946-dodge-power-wagon-clear-body/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paullyjay said:

But now I can't seem to find any measurements for the original Blackfoot body as a comparison... I have a feeling this one might be a little bit too big...

That shell is designed for the Stampede.  I'm not sure of the wheelbase of that particular model...

I measured the wheelbase of my Bush Devil with a typical American tape measure and got 9.75 inches.  That comes out to 247.65mm or so...

That Proline body may be a touch too long???  But what is 1cm here or there???

Personally, I'd love to get a 2003 Honda Odyssey body for the Bushy D, but the only one I can find is a drift body Odyssey and its not the right model year... 

I think we're going to have to live with the standard BF, Brat, and Monster Beetle bodies...

Terry

• Like 1

Also, it seems that 260mm is the standard for Drift bodies???  I have no idea, and that's what Googlez tells me.  And we all know that if you read it on Googlez, it must be right!

So maybe we can mod a drift body to fit???  

Terry

On 2/28/2018 at 3:31 PM, paullyjay said:

I just bought this Pro-Line '66 Ford F100 body for one of our Blitzers. Here are the specs from Tower Hobbies:

Length: 15.5" (394mm)
Width: 5.9" (150mm)
Height: 5.0" (127mm)
Wheelbase: 10.1" (257mm)

Parma makes (or used to make) a Lexan copy of the Blackfoot shell. It looks pretty good; not as detailed as the real thing, but nice for a runner, and a direct fit. It shouldn't be too hard to find one online.

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2018 at 8:18 PM, markbt73 said:

Parma makes (or used to make) a Lexan copy of the Blackfoot shell. It looks pretty good; not as detailed as the real thing, but nice for a runner, and a direct fit. It shouldn't be too hard to find one online.

Thanks! I found one on ebay, unfortunately it's on the wrong side of the Atlantic, so postage is as much as the shell... but that is exactly what I am looking for... Hopefully I'll find one in the UK!

I believe the Parma one was discontinued when Tamiya re-issued the Blackfoot. They are harder to come by now.

• Thanks 1

Have a sniff around for the shell from Freelander, looks Furd enough :) 

• Thanks 1

I managed to snag a vintage Blackfoot shell, now I need to find all the other bits... I think I need: windows, rollbars and front grill.... Is there anything else that I'm missing?

On 3/5/2018 at 11:50 AM, Biz73 said:

I believe the Parma one was discontinued when Tamiya re-issued the Blackfoot. They are harder to come by now.

It appears that Parma is offering their lexan BF body again???

At least it says its available on their website:  https://parmapse.shptron.com/p/1-10-blackfoot-clear-body?pp=15

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paullyjay said:

I managed to snag a vintage Blackfoot shell, now I need to find all the other bits... I think I need: windows, rollbars and front grill.... Is there anything else that I'm missing?

Ampro is developing a dashboard that will fit the BF shell.  Makes for more realism, etc...  There are also lighting kits available via Tamiya and/or 3rd party manufacturers...  

As for the front grill, you'll find that the original Ford grill is very hard to find (and expensive when you do).  Most people live with the newer grill (which is different).  Ampro makes an insert for the newer grill, but you have to do some cutting...  

Terry

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

At least it says its available on their website:  https://parmapse.shptron.com/p/1-10-blackfoot-clear-body?pp=15

Terry

I had a good look around, but couldn't find any in the UK and postage was just a killer!

1 minute ago, Frog Jumper said:

Ampro is developing a dashboard that will fit the BF shell.  Makes for more realism, etc...  There are also lighting kits available via Tamiya and/or 3rd party manufacturers...  

As for the front grill, you'll find that the original Ford grill is very hard to find (and expensive when you do).  Most people live with the newer grill (which is different).  Ampro makes an insert for the newer grill, but you have to do some cutting...  

Terry

Thanks - I'll check out the AMPRO website...

3 hours ago, paullyjay said:

Tailgate and rear bumper. Original tailgate says "FORD," I think the later versions are plain.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Tailgate and rear bumper. Original tailgate says "FORD," I think the later versions are plain.

I just checked the photos and it already has the tailgate with 'Ford' embossed... just gotta hope it arrives in good condition!

55 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Original tailgate says "FORD," I think the later versions are plain.

Yes.

Ampro makes a piece that you can glue to the plain tailgate in order to re-create the original Ford one...

He also has one that glues to the front of the hood, since the new body shell doesn't have Ford on it either...

Terry

3 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

Sweet! I figured they discontinued it when the Blackfoot was re-re'd. It makes a great runner shell because it is lighter, and brings down the center of gravity.

I cant understand why the BF body is super cheap ~$30 shipped, but the other parts are near unobtanium, people want $40 for rere grilles and rear tailgate sprues(each), when they should be about $7 each.  Some sellers part out new kits occasionally, selling them complete for about $100.  It is actually cheaper to buy a new Blackfoot kit, take out the body set, and sell the rest of the kit. 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2018 at 5:03 PM, kevinb120 said:

I cant understand why the BF body is super cheap ~$30 shipped, but the other parts are near unobtanium, people want $40 for rere grilles and rear tailgate sprues(each), when they should be about $7 each.  Some sellers part out new kits occasionally, selling them complete for about $100.  It is actually cheaper to buy a new Blackfoot kit, take out the body set, and sell the rest of the kit. 

I totally agree!! That's the exact reason I started this thread!

Anyone fitted one of these 3 following Proline shells to their Tamiya Blackfoot, I'd like to see one mounted to make sure bodypost holes are going to be ok on the stock Blackfoot chassis etc

My Original Blackfoot shell measures 

length 410mm

width 170mm

wheelbase 250mm

Option 1 - Pro-Line 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Clear Body #PL3470-00

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-2017-ford-f-150-raptor-clear-body/rc-car-products/403930

Specs:

• Length: 16" (406mm)
  • Width: 6.25" (159mm)
  • Height: 4.4" (112mm)
  • Wheel Base: 10" (254mm)

Option 2 - Pro-Line 1966 Ford F-100 Clear Body 1/10 #PL3412-00

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-1966-ford-f-100-clear-body-1-10/rc-car-products/380477

Specs:

Length:15.5" (394mm)
Width:5.9" (150mm)
Height:5.0" (127mm)
Wheel Base:10.1" (257mm)

Option 3 - Pro-Line 1972 Chevy C10 Body #PL3251-00

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/pro-line-1972-chevy-c10-body/rc-car-products/33453

Spec:

• Length: 365mm (14.375")
  • Width: 149mm (5.875")
  • Height: 105mm (4.125")
  • Wheel Base: 232mm (9.125")

That’s great research cheers!!! :D tempted to spend some coin now...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, J@mes said:

That’s great research cheers!!! :D tempted to spend some coin now...

Let me know if you try on of those, I would think the 3rd (Proline Chevy C10) option is the least suited due to that smaller wheelbase and shorter overall length, but either of the first two options should fit ok.