Sign in to follow this  
waterbok

Tamiya headquarters Job offer 3D designer

I never should have switched away from CAD

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/company/recruit/2019/career/design.html

Mid-career recruitment RC model design staff

Department introduction: 【Planning & Development Department】

Tamiya is familiar with fans all over the world due to high quality, such as RC (Radio Control) model, scale model, mini 4WD, work series etc. The product created by the staff of the planning and development department attracts fans all over the world. The Planning & Development Department is responsible for many tasks in model development and conducts actual interviews to improve the reproducibility of models, research and development to ensure superior performance and reliability, precise design work by CAD, etc. It is. This time we are looking for design staff of RC model which is one of Tamiya's leading products.

Job Description

New product planning of RC model (electric RC car, engine RC car, RC Big Truck, RC tank etc), designing by R & D, CAD

• design01.jpg

Along with high reproducibility, we will consider the ease of assembly and strength, and advance design work with CAD.

• design02.jpg

Products that the designer's mind is full will be sent out to fans all over the world.

•  

Qualification requirements

(1) Experienced design work (3D-CAD).

Personality desired

(1) Those who have enthusiasm for pulling Tamiya's product development. 
(2) Those who are interested in all technical fields and are willing to absorb knowledge greedily. 
(3) A person who can positively communicate with people.

Working hours

8:00 - 17:00 (1 hour 10 minutes break)

Work location

Headquarters in Tamiya Co., Ltd. (3-7, Inugawa-hara, Suruga Ward, Shizuoka prefecture)

A holiday

Annually 120 days (Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, according to our calendar)

Salary

Preferential treatment according to experience

Welfare

Employee-selective welfare system "Benefit station"

Documents to be submitted

Please send necessary documents to the following address. 
· Entry Sheet (with photo) 
※ Entry Sheet ( PDF File ) 
※ If you need an entry sheet in Word file please fill in "Inquiry Form" inquiry content "Word File Hope" and send it. We will send it by reply mail. 
· Career history (format freedom) 
· Other self self-appealing materials, copies of 2D or 3D drawings of principal drawing that can be submitted, materials related to experience of manufacturing, model (RC model, scale model, mini 4WD, etc.) Please attach attached items such as a printed photograph of completed photos.

Closing

Must arrive on Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Selection

After screening documents, we will inform you of the schedule of written and interview exams for successful applicants. 
* Please note that it may take more than a few weeks after the deadline to carefully select all the application documents in screening documents. I will contact the results of the screening regardless of acceptance or rejection.

Destination

Tamiya Human Resources Section Human Resources Section 
Miyoshi Tire Co., Ltd. Suruga Ward, Shizuoka-ku, Shizuoka-shi 422-8610 TEL (054) 286-5105 
Contact form

* We will not use any personal information you gave us for anything other than the purpose of this selection.

• Like 2

I wish I knew how to do 3D modelling.  

@waterbok what free program did you recommend?  It's too late to apply for the Tamiya job, but I've got to learn anyway.  

There are more than a few forum members here who could bring the skills for this job... Thanks for sharing!

I know it is not me, though; I am still figuring out how to model in two dimensions :P

Wow, love how they include Saturday and Sunday as holiday entitlement. So 16 days leave a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

Wow, love how they include Saturday and Sunday as holiday entitlement. So 16 days leave a year.

You can also take half-a-holiday every evening after 5, yay! 

lol...Japanese packaging is funny sometimes.  

I'm curious what the labor laws are in Japan.  Many human resource departments in USA companies post job openings externally even if they have a preferred candidate already in mind.  The purpose of this is to avoid potential discrimination lawsuits or auditing by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.  So, it's possible Tamiya has a preferred candidate in mind already but are advertising for similar reasons.  It certainly seems like a dream job if one could land it!

When I was a kid, this was all I wanted to do. My parents, of course, told me "no way, give that dream up and do something else". Not very inspiring. Although, I will caution, sometimes when you do your hobby for a career, it can take the fun out of it.

It's definitely a nice office.  I had the privilege of taking a private tour. I'm not sure how I can get any work done since all I wanted to do is play with all the R/Cs and models. Plus seeing all those prototypes! 

Honestly, maybe it's the way they describe it, but it just sounds kind of... joyless. Might be a cultural thing, but telling me how long the lunch break is for a "dream job" makes it seem like work, even if I'm just daydreaming. Also, I think it would have been more interesting to me in the pre-CAD days. But 3D computer modeling just doesn't appeal to me, which is one of the reasons I can't really get excited about 3D printing. I think I'd be better suited for a job as a reviewer at one of the magazines.

21 hours ago, Juggular said:

@waterbok what free program did you recommend?  It's too late to apply for the Tamiya job, but I've got to learn anyway.  

Fusion 360 but its not easy, loads of good instructions videos on youtube though.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Grastens said:

There are more than a few forum members here who could bring the skills for this job... Thanks for sharing!

I know it is not me, though; I am still figuring out how to model in two dimensions :P

Try continuing on the back of the paper and youre into 3D ;)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Prescient said:

That includes Japanese holidays aswell think they have several so that might go under 10 :o

21 hours ago, Prescient said:

But since you would be doing what you love, you'd always love to come into work and don't need the holidays, right? Right?! :D

Depending on the profession, I've heard some horror stories about working in Japan. Even with 3 weeks leave, you may be lucky to take all of them in a given year as this may be "frowned on" by the employer, or even perceived as disrespectful to the other employees that have to cover in your absence. I would also be surprised if the job is actually 8am-5pm -- salary-men often have pretty late evenings.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, frameskip said:

Depending on the profession, I've heard some horror stories about working in Japan. Even with 3 weeks leave, you may be lucky to take all of them in a given year as this may be "frowned on" by the employer, or even perceived as disrespectful to the other employees that have to cover in your absence. I would also be surprised if the job is actually 8am-5pm -- salary-men often have pretty late evenings.

Right afterwork racing with the chef on the new track and having to let him win and all whilst drinking beer, highballs or sochu ;)

My colleague has been back in Japan for a year now and she takes the last Train home at midnight and that’s the busiest train of the evening.

Working for a Japanese company in London I know their culture of work and you do not leave work before the manager goes home, dead simple.

Although our Japanese guys and girls in the UK are getting more westernised and sometimes even adopt our British Monday sickie lol ( myself not having taken a sick day in over 14 years straight frowns upon this! Haha!)

My colleagues do say they could not go back to working in Japan though after being in the UK, it’s mostly work work work back in their home country.

The point to note might be that a westerner working in Japan might be excused the leaving at 5pm thing though... but what’s the point as all your mates will be working till late;)

I'd love a job with weekends off, forty hours a week, normal person hours, and an hour lunch break! Paid vacation on top of that! Bet they have health insurance, too! Sounds dreamy.

It really does sound nice to me. I'll bet that it would be incredibly interesting and fulfilling to create complicated and beautiful toys for guys like us to appreciate. If the ad was released in English, I wonder if they might be looking for a Western influence in RC?

If i just lied alot and faked some references etc, how long do you think its possible to blag the job before getting found out?

Still, 40 hour weeks! No thanks 😉

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 11:26 AM, Juggular said:

Try tinkercad.com.  No software needed and let’s you get your feet wet quickly.  Then when you start to realize it’s limitations get a hobby license version of fusion360.