Cubee

HotShotII blasphemy

Hi there. First post on this forum.
Just wanted to show what I have been doing with my recently acquired HotShotII that was in a fairly broken state. The usual cracks around the screw holes and a couple of unexpected ones.

I have been working some time now to recreate several Tamiya parts as a 3D design. While I almost never do an exact replica, the parts are drop-in functional replacements.
On this car you can for instance see some printed wishbones, and the lower one at the front is an integrated print instead a composition of the original HotShot wishbone with that HotShot2 extension.

For anyone who is interested I will be posting my designs on Thingiverse. I only do this after I validated them for fit and function ( not for longevity, that will have to wait ;) ).

https://www.thingiverse.com/Qbee/designs

Front wishbones.jpg

Rear Wishbones.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What would spark most interest would probably be a replacement part for the rear shock tower, as these are quite difficult to get hold of. The wishbones are readily available thanks to the recent boomerang re-re

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cubee said:

I have been working some time now to recreate several Tamiya parts as a 3D design. While I almost never do an exact replica, the parts are drop-in functional replacements.

On this car you can for instance see some printed wishbones, and the lower one at the front is an integrated print instead a composition of the original HotShot wishbone with that HotShot2 extension.

For anyone who is interested I will be posting my designs on Thingiverse. I only do this after I validated them for fit and function ( not for longevity, that will have to wait ;) ).

https://www.thingiverse.com/Qbee/designs

Looks great!! Hope you do share the improved front lower arm :) I'd certainly give it a test.

fyi if it helps save you any time, I found some arms by fellow thingymember CORNL here's a link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2627499 but weirdly they don't always appear on a thingisearch

Thanks for the feedback.

@MadInventor Indeed the shock tower is on my radar but I only start modeling once it breaks, and mine seem to be holding up really well :)

@WillyChang That Super Sabre R part was the one swing arm that I had not modeled yet. So many thanks.

Great design, Thank you! I think these parts should be needed to be some flexible material, also thick a bit than before, but Tamiya didn't the works.
Can I ask a question? Should I need a program to mirror the parts for the other side?

3 minutes ago, gpgp01 said:

Should I need a program to mirror the parts for the other side?

What are you doing with the file & what's your workflow?

i layout STL with Cura and it's got a mirror/duplicate tool that does the job just fine... Cura then does the slicing & outputs as gcode 

29 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

i layout STL with Cura and it's got a mirror/duplicate tool that does the job just fine... Cura then does the slicing & outputs as gcode 

I was just thinking the STL files to be printed by Shapeways when I have a chance because I have no 3d printer and didn't know about what softwares should be used for it.

Seems I need to learn how to deal with Cura for it.

1 hour ago, gpgp01 said:

Great design, Thank you! I think these parts should be needed to be some flexible material, also thick a bit than before, but Tamiya didn't the works.
Can I ask a question? Should I need a program to mirror the parts for the other side?

I printed my parts in black Polymaker PolyPlus. I mainly use black because it looks good and it seems to print better than the other colors. It is also of the correct flexibility I think. Pure generic PLA is not well suited because it is too stiff and brittle. There is also PolyMax but I feel that PolyPlus does a better job in general for my prints.
You could also go for ABS. I personally have no experience printing in ABS.

For mirroring you can use a ton of tools. A slicer can do it or a program like MeshMixer.

43 minutes ago, Cubee said:

I printed my parts in black Polymaker PolyPlus. I mainly use black because it looks good and it seems to print better than the other colors. It is also of the correct flexibility I think. Pure generic PLA is not well suited because it is too stiff and brittle. There is also PolyMax but I feel that PolyPlus does a better job in general for my prints.
You could also go for ABS. I personally have no experience printing in ABS.

For mirroring you can use a ton of tools. A slicer can do it or a program like MeshMixer.

Thanks for your help. I wished I avoid to use tools and 3d printers to make or get some parts I needed. My eyes are not that good to look at screen for a little long time. Maybe I could find out some tools which children can use with relatively easy.

On 3/3/2018 at 6:15 PM, Cubee said:

Thanks for the feedback.

@MadInventor Indeed the shock tower is on my radar but I only start modeling once it breaks, and mine seem to be holding up really well :)

@WillyChang That Super Sabre R part was the one swing arm that I had not modeled yet. So many thanks.

@Cubee Hi, is there any chanche that you realize the rear shock tower model? I'm looking for for someone drawing or even selling an already printed one.