Sign in to follow this  
carsxxxsracer

TA04 Damper Piston / Piston Rod Help

Hello All

I'm rebuilding a TA04 SS to use in this years iconic cup and needed a new set of piston rods to replace the kit ones as the coating had gone in places.

I consulted the manual and bought the exact replacement part (50601) however when they arrived the distance between the two E clip grooves is smaller that the kit ones so you cant get the second E clip on to hold the piston in place.

Thinking it was me that had made a mistake, I then bought a pack of 50950 thinking the pistons that would come with this would not have the raised area on each side of the piston and would fit the new piston rods. Wrong!

So my question is what do i need to buy that will come with the right thickness (and diameter) pistons that will fit the dampers and the rods i have bought? I guess there has been a design change from Tamiya at some point which is why i'm having all of this hassle???

Seems silly to have to buy a whole new damper set to fix the problem, any help appreciated!

🤔 strange, are you using the black damper pistons or the white TRF version?

Have you got a picture or can you measure the space between the grooves on the rod?

Sven

If worst comes to worst you can always file the pistons down I needed to do this once. Hopefully someone can give you the right parts.

Right got the vernier out, piston rods have the same gap which is good, they measure up at a smidge over 1.7mm from the top of one groove to the bottom of the other. The difference is in the pistons themselves.

Im using standard black pistons, the ones that came out of the dampers measure up as 1.7mm thick. The new ones and all the other in my spares box measure up as 2.1mm.

Ideally i want to buy rods to suit these as seem to be the 'standard' width, any idea what i need to buy????

🤔🤔🤔

I have 4 different length rods and they all measure 2.1mm(ish) between grooves.

What's the length ?

9 minutes ago, svenb said:

🤔🤔🤔

I have 4 different length rods and they all measure 2.1mm(ish) between grooves.

What's the length ?

They measure up 33.5mm, come straight from the 50601 packet

20180303_213530.jpg

I have those, same length.

Yes your right the spacing is slightly narrower, but I've just put a piston on👍 not easy but it's on.

15201137969426107542581228785209.jpg

38 minutes ago, svenb said:

I have those, same length.

Yes your right the spacing is slightly narrower, but I've just put a piston on👍 not easy but it's on.

15201137969426107542581228785209.jpg

Is that a 2.1mm piston? I attempted it and snapped the E clip in 2 then started this post :(

Might have to do what lentner3 suggested and file them down a bit, first time i have ever come across any kind of Tamiya fitment in nearly 20 years of messing around with cars.....

I measured it 2mm but it must be the same!

Shave it down as lentner suggests if needed. The TRF pistons do float slightly.

1 hour ago, carsxxxsracer said:

Is that a 2.1mm piston? I attempted it and snapped the E clip in 2 then started this post :(

Might have to do what lentner3 suggested and file them down a bit, first time i have ever come across any kind of Tamiya fitment in nearly 20 years of messing around with cars.....

I was rebuilding some shocks a few weeks ago and grabbed a few parts trees from the spares box and noticed that there were two size of piston thickness. Both were tamiya trees but I can’t remember which kits they were for. Didn’t think much at the time as the shocks that I had rebuilt were not Tamiya.

meh I don't bust out Dremel for that, not even worth picking up the cordless Dremel

best tool for reshaping shock Pistons is a nail file B)

71011_BlackFiles.jpg

go borrow one from the bathroom...

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

meh I don't bust out Dremel for that, not even worth picking up the cordless Dremel

best tool for reshaping shock Pistons is a nail file B)

71011_BlackFiles.jpg

go borrow one from the bathroom...

Agreed I think I just used some sand paper over my finger. Go slow so you get a nice tight fit.