Granddad Stinky

Hobao Woes.

After buying my Hobao 1/8th nitro buggy 80% roller, I’ve since found out that there’s nowhere to run it, anywhere near me. You get reported to The Plod even running it on the beach. I tried to sell it on eBay but I guess everyone had the same problem.

This will be my little sulking corner, where I’ll begrudgingly convert it to brushless power.

It is beautiful piece of work though. 3mm hardened chassis plate, 4mm shock towers, 17mm shocks and adjustable everything, even changeable anti squat plates.

seGaFXR.jpg

gTmPsvI.jpg

oIxbmf8.jpg

ajzChkT.jpg

sKqjojM.jpg

5tpYvOP.jpg

Pkc76Mt.jpg

Ip6t2bp.jpg

jF68f67.jpg

• Like 1

That looks a right laugh. Shame there’s no where to use it. No waste land where you would be largely left alone? Seems a shame. Also seems indicative of the UK (especially my area) where you can’t do anything because it’ll upset someone. 

Good luck with the conversion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

That looks a right laugh. Shame there’s no where to use it. No waste land where you would be largely left alone? Seems a shame. Also seems indicative of the UK (especially my area) where you can’t do anything because it’ll upset someone. 

Good luck with the conversion. 

All the land for miles is either privately or council owned. The Feds will even kick you off the beach. The only place to legally run it is in the foreshore, the bit between high and low tide, because that doesn’t technically belong to anyone. That doesn’t stop you from being stopped for being noisy. It’s too populated.

Shame. Electric it is then. I looK forward to seeing you tackle this. If as well sorted as you others it’ll be a belter. 

Trust me, you're better off. Nitro power is a colossal hassle: messy, smelly, wasteful, fiddly, high maintenance, and lacking reverse. And all for the "fun" of having something that spews smoke everywhere while making a noise like a weed-eater on amphetamines. Converting to big brushless power is the way to go, even if you didn't have troubles with "the man."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Trust me, you're better off. Nitro power is a colossal hassle: messy, smelly, wasteful, fiddly, high maintenance, and lacking reverse. And all for the "fun" of having something that spews smoke everywhere while making a noise like a weed-eater on amphetamines. Converting to big brushless power is the way to go, even if you didn't have troubles with "the man."

Yeah, i’ve heard much the same from a few people. I guess nitro is fun if you’re in the USA and you have half a ranch as a back yard.

However!

There are plenty of fast Hobao buggies on YouTube. One guy hit 126mph on 6s using a GPS unit, so it’s not all bad.

A decent quality engine alone would have been £120, then two HT servos, battery pack, starting gear, fuel, glow plugs.... 😴😴

For that money I could buy a Hobbywing combo and only one servo. A basic Savox would be fine at £25.

My first job is to strip all of the unwanted parts from it, the brakes, engine mount and the like and get them on eBay.

I never looked back after I converted my hyper7.5.....:D.....so much less hassles being brushless....^_^.....but I do miss the smell and racket it made....:lol:...

before....

after

40 minutes ago, evssv69 said:

I never looked back after I converted my hyper7.5.....:D.....so much less hassles being brushless....^_^.....but I do miss the smell and racket it made.......

before....:lol:

after

Suddenly I don’t feel quite so bad. 😁

• Haha 1

That’s all of the nitro parts removed from the chassis and I have bags of parts for yet another eBay visit.

The chassis holes are different on the electric version, there are no big holes where the engine mount goes. There are more small countersunk holes though, and the servo tray is completely different. I really don’t want to start drilling holes in such a lovely piece of work, so I’ll have to be inventive with some aluminium plate and use what’s there. 6061 grade is pretty strong and a reasonable price.

0JSWjM2.jpg

voj8ZKi.jpg

rMYY77n.jpg

36 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

That’s all of the nitro parts removed from the chassis and I have bags of parts for yet another eBay visit.

The chassis holes are different on the electric version, there are no big holes where the engine mount goes. There are more small countersunk holes though, and the servo tray is completely different. I really don’t want to start drilling holes in such a lovely piece of work, so I’ll have to be inventive with some aluminium plate and use what’s there. 6061 grade is pretty strong and a reasonable price.

0JSWjM2.jpg

voj8ZKi.jpg

rMYY77n.jpg

do u have the motor mount yet? as I know a dude who cnc mills the hyper ones.....not sure if the vs holes r the same......I can put u in touch if need b...;)...and most use the losi 8e tray on hyper conversions...;)......again not sure how different the vs chassis is comparec to the hyper7`s..

• Like 1

Just now, evssv69 said:

do u have the motor mount yet? as I know a dude who cnc mills the hyper ones.....not sure if the vs holes r the same......I can put u in touch if need b...;)

That might be helpful. It takes the place of two centre pillars and one hole in the chassis plate. The OEM one is £36.

yeah it replaces one of the stock mounts on the center diff.......I jus sent him a message on here http://anythingrc.co.uk/ so soon as he get bak to me I let  u know...or u can go find him on there....dazp1976 .....;)

• Thanks 1

what combo u going with for it???I would highly recommend this one....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-EZRUN-MAX8-Combo-with-Twin-Deans-HW38010400/253348467438?epid=1265036187&hash=item3afcbed2ee:g:hsIAAOSwsZJaT4cc

I`ve ran 3x of these in various 1/8th`s and there sweet combo`s...;)....infact I only run hobbywing esc`s now.....currently running a 2x xerun150`s....a max6...a max5.....and I`ve ran most of there 150amp ones......ezrun pro....quicrun.....max8......all spot on.....:D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, evssv69 said:

what combo u going with for it???I would highly recommend this one....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-EZRUN-MAX8-Combo-with-Twin-Deans-HW38010400/253348467438?epid=1265036187&hash=item3afcbed2ee:g:hsIAAOSwsZJaT4cc

I`ve ran 3x of these in various 1/8th`s and there sweet combo`s...;)....infact I only run hobbywing esc`s now.....currently running a 2x xerun150`s....a max6...a max5.....and I`ve ran most of there 150amp ones......ezrun pro....quicrun.....max8......all spot on.....:D

Well you know the old saying...

How fast = How much cash.

It’ll be a while, i’m on ESA so funds are limited. I have to save my pennies. 😂

fair enuff...keep eye on e bay....I bought a hobbywing combo for 55quid once...:wacko:......quicrun150 and 4274 2000kv hobwing motor.....so bargains can b had....:D....can even pop wheelies....

20170810_120023

Your thoughts please gentlemen.

As this will be a budget project and I don’t really want this sitting in the cupboard for years, I have a suggestion.

I don’t believe in cutting corners on ESC quality, so a Hobbywing WP-8BL150 looks good value at around £65. From my boating days I have a GoolRC brushless motor, a 3680 1500kv. GoolRC do more in the way of boat gear than cars but although this won’t set the world alight, it should run quite cool at 1500kv on 4s. It used to run 8s but that was with a cooling jacket and a water cooled 180A ESC. I know a 40 dia would be better, but it’s quite a long motor.

I’m thinking this will get the car going and I can upgrade the motor later. I presume a 150A ESC would be enough?

• Like 1

I have an old Hyper 7 I converted to brushless. I have run it on 4 and 6s with a 150A ESC. I have just bought all my stuff from Hobbyking, its dirt cheap I haven't had any problems.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Your thoughts please gentlemen.

As this will be a budget project and I don’t really want this sitting in the cupboard for years, I have a suggestion.

I don’t believe in cutting corners on ESC quality, so a Hobbywing WP-8BL150 looks good value at around £65. From my boating days I have a GoolRC brushless motor, a 3680 1500kv. GoolRC do more in the way of boat gear than cars but although this won’t set the world alight, it should run quite cool at 1500kv on 4s. It used to run 8s but that was with a cooling jacket and a water cooled 180A ESC. I know a 40 dia would be better, but it’s quite a long motor.

I’m thinking this will get the car going and I can upgrade the motor later. I presume a 150A ESC would be enough?

good choice on the esc....150 is plenty for any 1/8th imo.....weather buggy...truggy or truck.....;)....that motor will move it but ideally u want a 40/42 size higher kv in it imo......but as u said u can upgrade later.....but see how it goes first.....:D

If I had the cash I would buy all the second hand 1/8s and convert them brushless. Love how the big brushless motors perform, love the torque! 

• Like 1

Definitely the best thing to do IMO, like you say there's just limited places you can run them these days. They are the RC choice of Chavs unfortunately so the general public tend to have only experienced them in the hands of Asbo kids being a nuisance. They do have a lot of charm for obvious reasons but the amount of upkeep required compared to a brushless system just doesn't make it seem worthwhile these days. I definitely want to grab an old unloved one day and convert it. I'm always watching Tamiya Terra Crushers and TNX going cheap on ebay.

I'd love a brushless FG Marder too, they ain't going so cheap though!

I'm starting to think you have as many projects going on as me, it's just that yours actually have progress lol.