Sign in to follow this  
AndySalazar

I just got a Blackfoot! What upgrades are critical?

Super excited to get a Blackfoot! 

I ordered some Ball Bearings for it, (Fast Eddy) 

and that's it so far.  I'd heard about the MIP ball diff, but I dont want to soak another $60 on this right away.  Not planning on gong brushless or Lipo right away.

What am I missing?

• Like 1

I have a Monster Beetle and have found it great, other than the diff. I was really disappointed that the diff started clicking after 8 - 10 packs through it, and thats completely stock with a lot of running with throttle EPA at 60%. I have shimmed it which is working for now, but I think the MIP diff is unfortunately necessary, even without going brushless or lipo.

Otherwise, its a great car and heaps of fun even with the silvercan and NiMH.

Ps I'm assuming the Blackfoot has CVA shocks like the Monster Beetle, and its identical other than the body

I have a set of chassis support plates made by Mheald of this Parish.

MB-01.JPG

They are all sold and I don't think he is planning on making any more, but if you ask around you may find some.

Proper CVAs are a must too rather than the pogo shcoks that came as standard.

And finally these re-enforced bolt on rear shock supports are worth getting if you plan on giving it some air. There are other types on Shapeways that do the same thing.

s-l1600.jpg

If you’re planning to upgrade the motor (even to just a Sport Tuned) you will need the MIP diff. 

7 hours ago, AndySalazar said:

What does Shimming it mean and how do you do it?

All I did was put a .4mm shim on either side of the diff.  They are wedged between the gearbox case (that flimsy metal bit) and the diff, so when the metal flexes there is still pressure on the diff and it doesn't click.  Its really a stopgap, I don't expect it to last forever but its much better than a diff that clicks all the time.

There are other mods around if you search but I think the best bet is to buy the MIP diff, which I will do eventually.  Its actually my 4yo son's Monster Beetle so won't be going faster anytime soon so I haven't spent the money yet.

You don't need the MIP diff. Just look up "oldfrogshot diff mod" and read up on the many different ways of bolting the two outdrives together. I personally prefer using 2mm threaded rod and a pair of 2mm locknuts, but there are other ways. Do that with fresh new diff gears, and it will hold together a long time.

As for the rest of the truck, somewhere on here is a 10 year old thread about durability upgrades for the Blackfoot/Monster Beetle. Worth searching for and reading. Some of the parts aren't widely available anymore, but a lot of the simple tricks still work. I used a few of them here, on my restored Blackfoot: https://dustylexan.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/tamiya-blackfoot-portrait-of-a-restoration/

(Also, just a general piece of advice for anyone reading, if you're looking for something to put modern brushless power into, don't choose a 30 year old design. Modern designs are better suited for modern power. Leave the oldies to putter along with their 540s, like Tamiya intended.)

• Like 3

As for what you might want to upgrade right from the start, ball bearings to finish the build. Tamiya only includes ball bearings for the transmission, not the wheels. Other than that, I would just build it and run it. Wait for things to break and then replace the broken parts with better parts seems to be the most cost effective way to go. My Monster Beetle has full bearings, and yes, a MIP ball diff. My diff started clicking, and popping after 3 runs with a stock 540 silver can motor. Your millage may very.

For some a gyro might be a good option. especially is looking to keep body in good shape. 

On 3/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, Hobbimaster said:

As for what you might want to upgrade right from the start, ball bearings to finish the build. Tamiya only includes ball bearings for the transmission, not the wheels. Other than that, I would just build it and run it. Wait for things to break and then replace the broken parts with better parts seems to be the most cost effective way to go. My Monster Beetle has full bearings, and yes, a MIP ball diff. My diff started clicking, and popping after 3 runs with a stock 540 silver can motor. Your millage may very.

This, just run it as designed and fix what breaks. You want it to do more, buy a brushless Slash.  It costs the same as one  to get a Blackfoot to half as much(if it's even possible to get even there).  Enjoy 1987 technology as it is.

I have a brushless HPI Blitz which is similar to slash and find myself running the Blackfoot alot more. Not sure exactly shy, but i think its just the way it interacts with the terrain.