Sign in to follow this  
MICHAELs TopForce17

Looking for my first vintage project car

7 hours ago, sparkysx said:

they don't sell the unbadged technigold anymore.

Nope they sure don't and I tried like heck to get one. I was informed by two sources that they stopped making them. Really a bummer. In the end, I lucked out and scored a really nice Technigold for a great price for my Hotshot resto. 

I’ve been in direct contact with them concerning the motor and they said it wasn’t a very good motor so they didn’t stock it anymore, I wasn’t impressed.

1 minute ago, sparkysx said:

I’ve been in direct contact with them concerning the motor and they said it wasn’t a very good motor so they didn’t stock it anymore, I wasn’t impressed.

Was this Howe's models in the UK? 

48 minutes ago, NWarty said:

Was this Howe's models in the UK? 

I phoned them first, and then MFA

1 hour ago, sparkysx said:

I phoned them first, and then MFA

I'm thinking it was a super small production run. Heck, we nerds in this niche hobby probably snatched up most of them. 

On 3/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, kevinb120 said:

Vintage hardbody models are expensive and fragile.  If you are going to refurb one it will add up quickly too.  A good vintage body kit for something that has not been re-re'd can bust your entire budget, then are you going to drive it?

Maybe go with a re-re?  More universal designs with classic hardbody looks are the rere Brat and the upcoming Lancia.   

The Brat pretty much does a little bit of everything well and is definitely easy to find parts for while being nearly identical to its original form, and offers more then enough challenge to paint/finish the body well.  Heck it even comes with a 'basher' lexan shell :) It will gauge how much patience you have for the hobby before seeking out a basket case 40 year old model.  Even the beautiful shells right now still go for the price of a decent 1/24 plastic kit.  The ORV chassis also offers options for other hardbodies like beetle and F150 hardbody shells(I'm doing a Ranger tribute body on a rere Brat this spring, only needs two body mounts to fit).   I would imagine the Lancia body could also be fit to it for an original Lancia 'rally' tribute with a bit of work.   A few more parts and you can easily make a Frog conversion too.  Good place to start for $170 plus a bearing kit. 

The upcoming Lancia is most likely not going to do too well on anything other then street or light gravel, but it is one heck of a body kit with interior.  

You could stay in budget with the Brat, and a few other hardbody 'projects' for you to keep busy with it and still have that vintage feel of building old Tamiya stuff, and later keep an eye out for some basket case you want to bring back from the dead, which may end up taking years.  At least you can bee-bop around with the re-re without much fear of breaking a $300 vintage body.  I just got back into this hobby after 30 years of non-tamiya (and very expensive) stuff.  When I opened my Brat re-re, I felt like I was 13 years old again.  It's so **** close to the original  I'm glad I didn't get back into this years ago and spend top dollar on a NIB vintage one. 

This is the best response that I've seen. Trying to rehab a tired Tamiya kit is just going to be chasing your tail. I got back into this mad hobby after 30 some odd years. Picked up the rere Brat (ORV chassis). These wonderful, yet flawed, buggies are so much fun. There are some great hop - up parts to be had for these but you have to check your self. Modern RTR stuff from other companies (names shall remain unmentioned) are way better for bashing duties (Imhop). Especially for off road duties. Though, I did have much fun running my buddy's RC 10 over with my Blackfoot back in the day!

looks like you have put you vintage project back on ebay with a buy it now price $230.

its best to look into the cost of the parts b4 you jump in. my 959 shelf queen project is running me to the tune of about 800€ and counting but it will be a1 once i'm finished with 2 body shells  on and off road tires and fully running with all original parts apart from the servos and esc

. i think you jumped into the deep end with one of the hardest car to restore, parts and price wise.look for some thing that you can use and have fun with after like a boomerang or the likes.