Sign in to follow this  
Parkesy

Midnight pumpkin durability

Hey guys, thinking of getting a midnight pumpkin more for my son than myself. He’s done a number on his grasshopper after I put the 540 in it and I’m waiting for a couple spares but then thinking I might leave that one on the bench until he’s a bit older. Looking for an excuse to build another kit and wondering how durable is the pumpkin? I see it has similar front arms to the grasshopper. Are roll overs likely to break the body or suspension mounts? I can always wind the throttle epa back as well, which I should have done with the grasshopper... 😏 But kids soon work out which dial makes the car go faster so it needs constant monitoring! 😂

When you say, "done a number on his grasshopper", what do you mean exactly? Is he running into parking curbs, or steel poles? No R/C will survive high speed impacts. Quite frankly the grasshopper, and hornet are pretty tough R/C cars. I started with a Hornet back in the 80's and basically wore out the parts rather than break anything. A proper driving area such as a open field, or baseball diamond are good places to practice driving for younger drivers. I taught both my daughters to drive in a open field away from people and property. The Pumpkin is based off the hopper series and will basically be no different. Yes, the body mounts typically break off in a rollover, but aluminum mounts are available. Also the center of gravity is higher making rollovers quite easy. If your not happy at all with the Grasshopper, maybe look at the DT-02, or DT-03 line of cars. Those seems just about as close to indestructible as any R/C can be.

Thanks mate, yeah he broke a front suspension arm, as well as the front mount that’s part of the chassis. He hit a chain link fence at a 45’ angle and I think the wheel got snagged in a link. This was in a large open park we drive in and I think curiosity got the better of him and he wanted to find out what would happen.  I know the grasshoppers are tough as they come, so just hoping these are somewhat close? I’ll probably look at a multi memory flysky transmitter to go with and then I can program the epa into it instead of a dial which he just winds back up. That might help things. Settings for him, and settings for Dad. 

Not sure about the durability of the plastic used in the rerelease Pumpkin, but my original was tough as nails. Hobbimaster is correct, the body mounts can be weak points during rollovers. It handles like a shopping buggy, but that's part of its charm.

The pumpkin will be a little slower than the hopper because although runnibg 540 and the same gearbox it runs a 10t pinion instead of 18t. That makes the wheelies possible. I had a lunchbox and just found it really easy to tip over and actually quite hard to drive, although it was fun in rougher terrain. 

A lot of people with kids find the crossover between these two ideas better - the Mad Bull. Similar layout but more evolved buggy chassis in the DT01 compared to the grasshopper, with monster truck wheels for clearance and funnies. Lower cg and wide track means much harder to roll and easier to drive. Also seem tough as old boots.

• Like 1

I would get him something controllable that he can learn to drive with. All the cars mentioned are fun but non handles very predictably.

How about moving to the future with a DT-03 or a Dumptruck?

I'd recommend the dump truck as well. The bodywork is tough and doesn't require painting, so doesn't show up scratches much, and also has a sprung loaded front bumper, as well as being a fun build for dad with independent suspension all round and 4wd.

Failing that, +1 on the Mad Bull

8 hours ago, RushRebel said:

Not sure about the durability of the plastic used in the rerelease Pumpkin, but my original was tough as nails. Hobbimaster is correct, the body mounts can be weak points during rollovers. It handles like a shopping buggy, but that's part of its charm.

Yep there’s something about the originals and how tough they were! Still got my fox from a kid in 89’ and my sister and I abused that rotten and don’t recall braking anything bar for a crack in the rear motor bumper 😄

I went and ordered one today, couldn’t help myself. This Tamiya bug has hit me again 🤭 I might just leave it in the box and build sometime later this year and keep it for me. With the cost of spares vs nib kits maybe I’m better off with another grasshopper for him and should hopefully have enough spares to keep it running for quite a while, and pop the 380 back in it? The mad bull does look tough as nails but if something breaks he’ll have 2 cars stuck on the bench and me forking out way too much for a couple of little plastic parts 🤨 I should have known better a few months back that “I’ll just get 1 kit for old times sake” would grow to something more 😕

• Like 1

As others have stated.  Weakest part are the body mounts.  Unfortunately when mine broke they broke chunks off the chassis where they mounted so I had to replace the tub chassis as well.  Not a big deal as parts are cheap and it is fun to tear it all down.

Only other thing is really the Body.  Since it is a hard body it's heavy and causes roll overs very easily. It also cracks and scuffs really easy so I'd recommend replacing it with a Lexan copy from Parma. 

Definitely the body posts, transmission is tough as nails! Not a great handler at all but then again my Grasshopper is even worse. You'd think it would be more stable because it's so much lower but I find it traction rolls incredibly easily even with just a 27t silver can. My Lunchbox seems to be slightly more stable in that regard despite everything, I was actually pleasantly surprised. The bigger and softer tyres help it to remain more composed off road too.

I think there's some kind of mod to strengthen the rear deck part of the chassis too, apparently it's prone to flex and snapping because it sort of sticks out like a shelf. You can put a couple of links diagonally from the shelf/deck to the rear of the tub to prevent it from flexing. Sort of like a strut brace in theory.

Have you guys really had big problems with body posts breaking? We have beat the crap out of our MP and haven't broken any. I bought a runner shell that doesn't have the windows in it, and the cab has started to crush, but no issues with body posts.

It's been 3 years and this thing has been beaten on. They are tough trucks.

I’ve nearly finished it and can see how weak the posts look. That’s the worry, that it won’t just be a post that breaks but the moulded chassis part it mounts to as well. I’ve got his grasshopper running again so this one might just be a shelfer and pull it out for a few wheelies every now and then and avoid roll overs 

5 hours ago, Parkesy said:

I’ve nearly finished it and can see how weak the posts look. That’s the worry, that it won’t just be a post that breaks but the moulded chassis part it mounts to as well.

No, it'll just be the post.  Easily glued back together, or you can drill and pin it for extra strength.

On 3/15/2018 at 4:38 PM, Biz73 said:

Have you guys really had big problems with body posts breaking? We have beat the crap out of our MP and haven't broken any. I bought a runner shell that doesn't have the windows in it, and the cab has started to crush, but no issues with body posts.

It's been 3 years and this thing has been beaten on. They are tough trucks.

I've only broken the body posts themselves twice but I've broken the tub where they attach 4 times. The last time I replaced the tube I bought two as the seller combined shipping. Switching to a lexan body really helped. Haven't broken one since. 

I guess I've been lucky. I'm going to be paranoid now! :lol: