Sign in to follow this  
GooneyBird

TA03F Pro David Jun Edition (re)build for drifting

On 18-3-2018 at 10:52 PM, Grastens said:

If she is open to that, it must be love!

The GT-R looks fabulous! Especially in motion ;)

You have no idea how lucky I am that my wife moves in and out of the hobby at times. She's had an F104X1 for a good while now, but when the local F1-scene died down she lost interest. Seeing me slide the Skyline around rekindled that. Plus, she really likes the scale aspect of it (IE: this actually looks like a car, and moves at speeds that seem appropriate for the model instead of Mach 3 like my other carpet racers)

Now that she's commandeered the TA03F she's put on a body shell I had built for her a while ago (a white GT86), and readying it for this Sunday. Meanwhile, I'm struggling to convert my cup racer into a drifter so I can join her in the fun.

On 20-3-2018 at 11:33 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

Your car looks awesome in action. And great minds think alike; this is not yet a runner but my bodyshell I have for my TA03F:

[pic]

Had to share a picture!

Thanks! Yours looks really good too! Stealth body mounts?

Remember when I said that my wife likes drifting the TA03? Well, I had an old GT86 bodyshell I once built for her TT01 that never really took shape.

IMG_3182.jpg

That's my wife sliding the GT86/TA03. I still need to tweak the height of the body shell, so that's why I haven't cut the body posts yet.

I also added a hopup to the car. I wanted to be able to adjust camber on the car. The manual suggests getting 53192 for it, which consists of a few 3x18mm turnbuckles, some 5mm ball cups and connectors, and a small manual to assemble it all.

Of course, the official hopup is all but impossible to find, so I just used other bits to make up the parts needed:

IMG_2597.jpg

Instead of aluminium turnbuckles I bought a set of titanium bits. Roughly the same price, and less likely to scratch. Also, it looks more like the original steel items from Tamiya. The blue ball connectors..well..they look nothing like the original parts, but the car has a blue/gray theme going anyway.

IMG_2598.jpg

Gee, thanks Tamiya. I thought I was looking at steering knuckles. :P

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

Simple, elegant, and it works. The car now runs ~3.5 degrees of camber in the rear, and ~4 degrees up front. No idea what it does for handling on a car with hard plastic wheels, but it certainly looks cool.

Another thing I changed is the battery holddown mechanism. I was not satisfied with the plate that I stuck to the battery and screwed in the car. It would warp, and getting it in and out was a hassle and would mar the rear of the servo. Clearly, something else was required. I tried with @InsaneJim69's adapter for the Quick Release battery holder, but alas, the one I bought (for the M03) is too wide to fit. I was afraid it'd be different from the recommended item, but thought I could make it work. Guess I can't.

Time for plan B!

IMG_2603.jpg

Two battery posts from an F104, and two servo arms from the Great and Mighty Stash of Leftover Stuff. To remove the battery, take out the two screws holding the posts to the chassis and slide it out sideways.

IMG_2594.jpg

Like a glove!

On the other side I used two TT01 servo posts to brace the battery against. They provide a nice and wide surface for the battery to lean up against.

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

Another advantage is that I now have two screw holes on the other side. I put those to use holding up the wire loom. That keeps it nice and tightly wrapped against the chassis.

Slow improvements! Also, I have no idea what I'm doing as I've never built a car for drifting. However, my wife seems to like it a lot, and that's all that matters. I've even converted my TT01 into a drift car just so I can join her:

IMG_3119.jpg

It looks magnificent in motion too!
IMG_3163.jpg

• Like 4