I've got a standard ESC (TEU105BK) and a standard motor (RC-540) in my Lunchbox. I was thinking of giving it a little more speed by getting the Sport tuned RS-540 motor. I don't want to spend too much and go brushless and go too fast that it becomes undriveable, I just want a big more speed without breaking the bank. My question is would the standard ESC be ok to run the sport tuned motor? and if I up the speed should I be upgrading anything else on the car. I have added hight quality ball bearing when I built it.  I'm new to RC so not very clued up with compatibility of motors and ESC's! Any help greatly appreciated. If there is an alternative motor to the sport tuned RS-540 that doesn't need a new ESC please let me know. Thanks

Hi there. I have a HotShot running with the black motor and the same ESC as I used for the silver can. And I only use the most basic stuff. Quickrun 1060 and the likes. The car is indeed a tad faster than my HSII with the standard motor. The difference is not huge though. Since most vintage Tamiyas have the motor on the outside it also looks really cool.
The black motor is still quite close to the standard silver can as far as specs, so I would not worry about it.

Edit : On a second note, I see that the TEU105BK is rated for motors down to 25T, but not lower. The black motor is 23T, so it draws more current than the ESC is rated for. It could still work, but maybe other forum members need to chime in here.

There are some budget brushed ESC’s on eBay for £5-10 delivered. They’ll let you run most brushed motors I believe. 

I’m running an old race brushed ESC with no motor limit on it. And a 12 Turn brushed motor. It’s a little hairy but plenty speedy. 

I have a nice new boxed 11 Turn motor for sale if you are interested. 

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/228375-pair-of-new-modified-motors-11-triple-£30/

The Sport Tuned motor(27 turn) will work with the esc that you have. The GT tuned motor(25 turn) is 1 step up from the Sport Tuned, and will work as well.

Ok thanks, I’ve been reading a few reviews that say it should work ok with the stock esc, but then some said it didn’t, so I was a bit confused! What’s the difference between the sport tuned and the gt tuned?

The LB runs well on a Sport tuned . Uprate the shox to oil as a minimum , you can spend a lot on an LB uprating it , but a S/T motor and oil shox should be good for a fun runner . You can add weight to the front of the chassis to stop too much wheelying if you want and it gives a bit more traction to the front wheels on corners

The GT tuned is just the next step up from the Sport Tuned. It is a 25t motor and will give you a bit more top speed. You can also rebuild it when it starts to wear out, if you choose.

I run my VLB with a 17t Yeah Racing hackmoto brushed in mine on the standard TBLE-02s esc. It's fast enough, wheelies like a demon and gives healthy run times on 2100mah Nimh.

A cheap RC4wd 20 Turn motor or a ecx amp 20 turn motor works great on the stock esc and gives you much better speed over the stock kit motors.

i'm running the sport tuned in mine with the TBLE02S ESC and its more than enough power to have fun. Mine now has oil filled shocks and a custom 4 link rear to go along with the CPE (I think) front suspension setup. Drives nice.

There's definitely a wealth of cheap options out there. The GoolRC rebuildable motors are apparently great quality an very cheap. I often buy FTX 550 15T motors from my LHS for £7.99. You can get HSP 20T 540 motors for £4-5 from Chinese ebay sellers of Aliexpress. 

Today i`ve changed the motor in My Lunchbox today. (Silvercan to a Sport tuned)

The Sport tuned Motor works really well with the RC-Car and the standard ESC from the Kit.

In my Opinion the Sprt tuned Motor is a good choice because you get good Runtimes, its not overpowerd and doesn`t wear out to fast.

Edit:

I haven`t drove my Lunchboy for 2 or 3 years and was suprised what a good Jumper that little Thing is (Oilshocks + 3rd shock mod).

I love to jump over little Kickers or woodplanks that lay on the Ground.