ThunderDragonCy

Why is the DT03 so unloved compared to the DT02?

Related to getting my 3 deg rear uprights, i am interested as to why the 03 is so unloved by DT Challenge racers and other track runners. To me (i am not a racer, but understand technical things) the 03 has longer wheelbase (similar to race buggies) and much better front suspension and steering setup. Same rear suspension as the 02 so even scores there. I have an 03 and although it took a few (enjoyable) months getting a setup on it, it seems like a great handling chassis. Any racers or track runners got any thoughts? More interestingly, are there any parts i could design within the mod class rules that would improve the 03 past the 02?

When I owned both (dt03 now sold) the 03 seemed much weaker than the 02.

It didn't matter if I was running an aqroshot or a neo fighter, any bad jumps or clips with a curb the chassis would seemingly crack on the nose section and has happened to three other people that have owned one that I know, the dt-02 I've had right from the beginning with the clear gearbox of the super fighter g, castle brushless etc etc, much more durable from my nephews and my experience, although both are nice, while the 02 is still available I'd still recommend that model first (and it has more and nicer bodies!)

• Thanks 1

I think it's generally accepted that the 03 handles a bit better, no bump steer and the angled front arms make it more eager to float over bumps etc. I think for some though that makes it almost clinical compared to the DT-02 although for me personally I find both enjoyable to drive, I really get a kick out of how merciless I can be with my 03, it's very composed.

Some people think the 02 is a little more durable too.

• Thanks 1

I thought it was because the DT-02 is already well-established, well-liked, and apparently still in production. That would make it a tough act to follow, which the DT-03 is doing.

Personally, I look forward to the day I pick up a DT-03!

• Thanks 1

I own neither but I like the Desert Gator and Sand Viper shells, but don't like either of the DT03 shells. I considered them when i bought my TT02B's a year or so ago but chose 4wd. As a noob I didn't realise there was a major difference as they both were entry level 2wd buggies and would have ordered the DT02 that came with bearings (Desert Gator I think). So my decision was based on included bearings and they look heaps better in my opinion. Great reasoning eh!

• Thanks 1

My dt03 came with both bearings and oil dampers in the box, it was a surprise though. 

The dt03 is longer and more composed than the dt02. Easier to drive and in some ways more fun. It just doesn’t look at good as a dt02. I guess if you liked the rail buggy look of the hpi Baja vaterra glamis uno then the dt03 is for you. If you prefer the race buggy look then the dt02 is probably going to suit.

the zahak DN01 utterly destroys them both in terms of handling, and its wheelbase sits between the two. 

For me personally I think the dt03 with a few tweaks has the greatest fun potential.

Juls

• Thanks 1

I'm not a track racer, my one of aspect for buying kits is aesthetic part of body. Still I'm feeling that dt03 is needed getting a bit more charming looking body which looks some more bulky as well.
A slight stretched stadium blitzer-lish body would be nice for me at least, instead of Aqroshot style on dt03t.

Thanks guys. I guess the 03 has more love than i thought! I totally hear you on the kit options as the Desert Gator with bearings and metal driveshafts and proper 2.2" wheels and turnbuckles all in is good value, with no 03 equivalent.

It does seem the 02 is a bit easier to drive and setup initially too, and durability is always good. That said my 03 has been solid but i don't run anywhere with jumps.

Also totally agree on the shells, and i guess that is a massive thing for hobbyists and racers alike. Why would you choose something you don't like the look of? The Racing Fighter is ok, and much nicer than the Neo IMO but i still ditched both and did my own thing. Does seem a shame there isn't the variantion of the 02. Just one more completely different looking option with more classis look would be nice wouldn't it? Rather than churning out different coloured "editions". 

2 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Also totally agree on the shells, and i guess that is a massive thing for hobbyists and racers alike. Why would you choose something you don't like the look of? 

I dont like the look of my race buggy shells (Kyosh Ultima RB6.6 and Lazer ZX6 if you want o google them to see), the modern cab forward thing doesnt do it for me, but its pretty mucb all you can get. Also with the aero advantages you pretty much have to run them (although for me they came with the cars so i wouldnt spend money on cooler looking but worse performing bodies). I like the classics, Boomerang and Fox are my favourites but I also like the Plasma Edge II and Desert Gator as they remind me of the early mid 90s like the Kyosho Outrage 

• Like 2

Very interested in this topic, I've recently ventured out to my local track as up till now the hobby has been all about building and non of my cars ever get run, nobody at the track runs (or even seems to be familiar with) Tamiya, whilst I've been advised to look at getting a Team Associated B6 I'm going to stick with a DT02/3 at least for now (if the racing bug bites then I'll re-assess)

I have three DT03's and a couple of DT02's - I need to prepare a car to have a go on the track, and am deciding which way to go initially, from what I've read I understand that the DT02 is the better choice for an indoor off-road carpet track but the longer wheelbase of the DT03 would make for better (easier) handling, I am very much a novice when it comes to racing

46 minutes ago, colda said:

Very interested in this topic, I've recently ventured out to my local track as up till now the hobby has been all about building and non of my cars ever get run, nobody at the track runs (or even seems to be familiar with) Tamiya, whilst I've been advised to look at getting a Team Associated B6 I'm going to stick with a DT02/3 at least for now (if the racing bug bites then I'll re-assess)

I have three DT03's and a couple of DT02's - I need to prepare a car to have a go on the track, and am deciding which way to go initially, from what I've read I understand that the DT02 is the better choice for an indoor off-road carpet track but the longer wheelbase of the DT03 would make for better (easier) handling, I am very much a novice when it comes to racing

Never been to a track, but i read these two blogs when learning how to tune my 03

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/10/tamiya-dt02-guide-mods-tuning-and-tips.html?m=0

http://www.thercracer.com/2014/05/tamiya-dt03-trf-race-tips-and-review.html?m=0

I found adding weight to the front of the 03 made a big difference to turn in, and if you running kit tyres then ditch them. Ask at the club what most people run then buy another set of proper 2.2" wheels with those tyres on and see how you go. In the second article he is pretty disparaging about the 03 on astro, but there was never a follow up to say if ge managed to improve the setup on that surface. He loved it on grass though.

• Like 1

On the subject of bodies, has anyone woth both types popped a Gator or Viper shell on the 03 to see if it could be made to fit. I have used the tall L shaped body posted from the Racing Fighter to mount my Grasshopper 2 shell so it seems to me it should be possible to mount it at least. Whethef it looks any good, well, that's why i am asking!

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

On the subject of bodies, has anyone woth both types popped a Gator or Viper shell on the 03 to see if it could be made to fit. I have used the tall L shaped body posted from the Racing Fighter to mount my Grasshopper 2 shell so it seems to me it should be possible to mount it at least. Whethef it looks any good, well, that's why i am asking!

I tried it before with a gator shell that was already trimmed as manual. As far as I recall, I stopped trying the body to be fitted on dt03. The major issue was the body length itself was short to be used on the chassis, the second was it seemed considerable trimming to be needed if it be used regardless of the short length.
(Pardon me if I'm wrong because it is a rather vague memory.)

I guess longer bodies would be needed for the chassis, as long as Neo Scorcher's or Plasma Edge's or some trucks' etc.

• Thanks 1

You have to remember the DT02 offerings are quite substantial too - it has been available some time and includes all sorts, from hard-plastic buggies, lexan-bodied buggies, a pseudo-truck, a hard-bodied dune buggy, one with road tyres and later you could even get one that was piloted by a peculiar bear...:lol:

93031 Super Fighter G Black edition

58340 Super Fighter G

58344 Desert Gator

58374 Sand-Viper

58401 Neo Falcon

58470 Holiday Buggy 2010

58485 Super Fighter GR

84212 Holiday Buggy (2010) Red version

58500 Sand Rover 2011

58522 Street Rover

58511 Nissan Titan

58536 Super Fighter GR (Violet Racer)

58553 Fighter Buggy SV

57983 Super Fighter GR Violet

58615 RC Buggy Kumamon

Personally I have a Fighter Buggy GR as I liked the hard body more, it's incredibly tough too (has withstood lots of landing jumps upside-down!)
  • Like 1

I bought the DT-03 Racing Fighter because I liked the body. It looks like a real buggy, not something molded from a fresh steamer out in the cow pasture. I enjoy driving both chassis and have yet to break anything on either one. I like them both.

• Like 1

I wonder if Tamiya had put in driver figures, DT03 might have been more popular?  

Here are @Truck Norris's DT03s.  

neo-hornet-front.jpg

neo-frog-2.jpg

[I think a driver might look good in Racing Fighter shell also]

Image result for DT-03 Racing Fighter

• Like 3

10 hours ago, colda said:

Thats great you can go racing, its a lot of fun when you can look past the frustrations!

I wouldn't do too much prep on the car as the club members are right, you really need a race kit.  I have seen people come to our race meets with an RTR or lower level car and last less than 2 races. Very few people break anything when they have the race kits, I have broken 1 front arm in a year of racing 2 cars.

Buy the motor and esc so you can use that in the next car. Not sure what servos you run but you need at least metal gears, and preferably quite fast and strong (look for at least 10kg, if not 12kg, and .10sec or faster). I have broken a futaba s3003 in 3mins on a track, one heavy landing and it was all over. The extra grip on carpet means you need a very good steering servo, people here recommend the Savox 1256TG but its expensive.

If you want to stick with Tamiya then check out the TRF211 or 201, just make sure it has a mid mounted motor. Otherwise the Associated 6.1 is on its way so there will be some secondhand 6's around now. Thats the way I would go, same as the others so you get help with setup and preferably less than a season old

Can't sleep, so wasting time on the internet. Obviously. How about a TRF201 shell for the DT03? Looks fairly long with options to cut to suit.

2018-03-14_12-30-58

Also found a brand called Team Azarashi which do some really cool looking TRF201 shells. The caynk is the dedicated 201 shell. Bottom is the quracca RB5 shell on a 201. How good does that look?

2018-03-14_12-28-252018-03-14_12-28-522018-03-14_12-37-292018-03-14_12-37-49

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Juls1 said:

My dt03 came with both bearings and oil dampers in the box, it was a surprise though. 

The dt03 is longer and more composed than the dt02. Easier to drive and in some ways more fun. It just doesn’t look at good as a dt02. I guess if you liked the rail buggy look of the hpi Baja vaterra glamis uno then the dt03 is for you. If you prefer the race buggy look then the dt02 is probably going to suit.

the zahak DN01 utterly destroys them both in terms of handling, and its wheelbase sits between the two. 

For me personally I think the dt03 with a few tweaks has the greatest fun potential.

Juls

You are so right....If you live in the states just get the dn01  zahhak from tamiya usa for $110. Just be careful going down the rabbit hole like i did and upgrade it to a trf 201 with every option minus trf shocks and aluminum steering as i did. Lol

6 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

You are so right....If you live in the states just get the dn01  zahhak from tamiya usa for $110. Just be careful going down the rabbit hole like i did and upgrade it to a trf 201 with every option minus trf shocks and aluminum steering as i did. Lol

Wish that option could be made to work here. What makes the DN01 so much better than the DT02/3? Having never seen anything but spec and pictures it seems like a nice plastic tub rear motor 2wd with cva shocks. Layout doesn't look too different.

13 hours ago, Juggular said:

I wonder if Tamiya had put in driver figures, DT03 might have been more popular?  

Here are @Truck Norris's DT03s.  

neo-hornet-front.jpg

neo-frog-2.jpg

[I think a driver might look good in Racing Fighter shell also]

Image result for DT-03 Racing Fighter

That's what I intend to do with mine, I already used the window stickers as masks.

BpXjKQE.jpg?1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Wish that option could be made to work here. What makes the DN01 so much better than the DT02/3? Having never seen anything but spec and pictures it seems like a nice plastic tub rear motor 2wd with cva shocks. Layout doesn't look too different.

Fiberglass reinforced plastics, ball diff, rack & pinion steering, turnbuckles, full ball bearings except steering. Some of the parts are plastic where the trf 201 isnt such as the ball diff drives. There is also dogbones instead of universals. There is some more but i forget without looking. It handles so much better too

• Thanks 1

The dn01 is a softer plastic version of  TRF201.

It might not look better than a dt02/03 at first glance. But in fact it’s a whole different buggy in every aspect. 

Driving the dt02 then switching to zahak makes you laugh your head off how horrible the dt02 is to drive comparatively. 

The dn01 simply turns when you want to it, it goes where and when you ask no fuss. Stability and just ability to be driven is a whole different world. If you’ve ever driven a rc10b4/5/6 or a TRF201 or a losi equivalent that’s what the zahak is like to drive because that’s basically what it is, a race chassis but without the brittle stiff plastics.

The massive screw up tamiya made was making it look how they did. 

• Thanks 2

On 13/03/2018 at 9:11 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Never been to a track, but i read these two blogs when learning how to tune my 03

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/10/tamiya-dt02-guide-mods-tuning-and-tips.html?m=0

http://www.thercracer.com/2014/05/tamiya-dt03-trf-race-tips-and-review.html?m=0

I found adding weight to the front of the 03 made a big difference to turn in, and if you running kit tyres then ditch them. Ask at the club what most people run then buy another set of proper 2.2" wheels with those tyres on and see how you go. In the second article he is pretty disparaging about the 03 on astro, but there was never a follow up to say if ge managed to improve the setup on that surface. He loved it on grass though.

I did look at those, which has made me lean more towards the 02, the local club are running Schumacher Yellows (low profile cut stagger front and cactus rear) so will be getting some of those, from what I can gather they will fit the Tamiya wheels

Thanks for the tip on adding weight to the front :)

44 minutes ago, colda said:

I did look at those, which has made me lean more towards the 02, the local club are running Schumacher Yellows (low profile cut stagger front and cactus rear) so will be getting some of those, from what I can gather they will fit the Tamiya wheels

Thanks for the tip on adding weight to the front :)

They won't really fit well on the rear. The kit wheels if they are star or astral dish are an odd 2.15" size, not full 2.2". Maybe get some Schumacher rear wheels to go with your tyres? Don't forget the foam inserts for the rears. They recommend the right ones on the schumacher website racing-cars.com.