Sign in to follow this  
steelo

Built a Kyosho 'Hanging on Rider'

Hi guys,

After weeks of assembling and painting, I now have a working 1/8 scale Kyosho motorcycle. I’ve assembled plenty of buggies but never a motorcycle, needless to say, this kit was quite challenging. The parts are tiny, the directions caused a few “What the heck” moments and the painting/decals can be quite difficult. I decided not follow the box art and make it more like the paint scheme of the my favorite RC car of all time, the Optima =)

Tower hobbies calls for the 2/3 size venom nimh battery pack. I can tell you after days of frustration, this battery with the usual thickness wires simply will NOT fit. After giving up on that battery, I opted to buy a tiny 1200 mah lipo probably meant for an electric plane and soldered a lipo mini connector to the ESC. It fits beautifully and any excess wires can be tucked into the hole where the ESC wires protrude out of.

This thing is an absolute blast to drive around, it’s not fast compared to most rc cars and I’m sure it would be outperformed by every modern RC motorcycle with fancy gyros and better suspension, but it’s become one of my favorite models to run. I like to run it right in front of my house on the street and I find maneuvering slow figure 8’s more satisfying than speeding down the street in a straight line. The leaning rider is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time, especially since it also serves a purpose in functionality. Although I spent days painting every individual mold, after crashing it about 2 dozen times the fairings and rider are fairly beat up. That’s okay though, I bought this to run the heck out of, not stare at on a shelf =) I may purchase another just for show though.

20180311_220710.jpg

• Like 2

I know this post is a couple of months old now but I've been looking for just this sort of thing. Looks like not many firms got into RC bikes. I remember seeing them about 20 plus years ago and thinking in time with the right tech they'll be sure to catch on...how wrong! 

I just love my 1:1 bikes and an RC one would be sweet.

• Like 1

I have one set up with a DM 20 motor and a CPR unit from a Tamtech 1/24 scale car.  In that form it was pretty lame but with a mild brushless motor it would be just right. 

On 5/12/2018 at 3:35 PM, Bromley said:

I know this post is a couple of months old now but I've been looking for just this sort of thing. Looks like not many firms got into RC bikes. I remember seeing them about 20 plus years ago and thinking in time with the right tech they'll be sure to catch on...how wrong! 

I just love my 1:1 bikes and an RC one would be sweet.

I love my 1:1 bike too and it's pretty cool how realistic this bike handles. In stock form, don't expect amazing speed...I think it's plenty fast for what it is, but it's definitely slower than a silver can Tamiya model.

On 5/18/2018 at 4:19 PM, Shodog said:

I have one set up with a DM 20 motor and a CPR unit from a Tamtech 1/24 scale car.  In that form it was pretty lame but with a mild brushless motor it would be just right. 

It's not a fast model with the stock DM20, the motor doesn't have much in the way of torque or top end. I'm too afraid to put a brushless in it because I mainly run it on my narrow street. It's hard enough as it is to not crash it...

12 minutes ago, steelo said:

I love my 1:1 bike too and it's pretty cool how realistic this bike handles.

I love my 1:1 Kyosho Hang on rider also

D410E97E-4E8F-4DC2-8076-5BA6D3541D16_zps

CBR1_zpscd90d736.jpg

• Like 1

After months of being on backorder with Tower Hobbies, I just got notification this morning that mine shipped out and is on the way. Sometimes when you’re adding the item to the cart, they’ll pop up additional necessary parts that you’ll need to complete the build, but not when I was ordering it. I’m sure I’ll need a special battery, and I’m guessing it will need a smaller servo and ESC?