sparkysx

Special Porsche 959

3 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

That's freakin epic.

Thanks! Just waiting for the correct servo horn before I can give it a test drive. Think it will out handle the original without the steering slop!

That's awesome. really nicely made. Looks like you've made it LiPo compatible as well.

I'd be sooo tempted to do the top deck in carbon fibre though ;)

• Thanks 1

The ally was just to get it right, I'm going to do the whole lot in carbon and another in black fibreglass board.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sparkysx said:

The ally was just to get it right, I'm going to do the whole lot in carbon and another in black fibreglass board.

Would you make any to sell? I cannot tell you how much I want one!!

Yes I would mate. I need to make a 1.5 x template so I can copy it with a milling machine, this was cut on a scroll saw and finished with hand files and sanded to get it to this stage. Now that I have this I can copy it.

I fear for your gearbox hinge points with that much stiff alloy.

Beautiful work tho.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ann3x said:

I fear for your gearbox hinge points with that much stiff alloy.

Beautiful work tho.

That won't be a issue.

11 minutes ago, sparkysx said:

That won't be a issue.

Making an alloy version? o.O

17 hours ago, Ann3x said:

Making an alloy version? o.O

Well I'm not going to drive it like I stole it anyway, but what part specifically are you talking about?

I might be interested in the kit in carbon fibre version, depending on price. Let me know once you know. 

The wishbone hinges on the 959 are part of the gearboxes, attaching alloy arms and an alloy chassis will mean the hinge points take the brunt of any forces from driving. As you know, the plastics on the 959 are WEAK. You might not intend to crash (who does) but your gearboxes are gonna take a beating even with gravel / uneven running etc.

I suspect you'll need reinforcement in these areas (ie alloy gearboxes too or significantly altered geometry).

Not trying to be a downer here btw, its beautiful work. Just dont want you trashing your hard to replace gearboxes!

• Like 1

Had about 30 959's and celicas and never ever seen the gearbox break at this point. Got loads of gearboxes spare aswell, none of them broken there either. Only ever seen the front gearbox split where it joins to the original chassis, and that problem is solved here. The amount of force these points will take from a crash would barely have a measurable difference, between the original chassis and this one. Anyone who drives one of these where there are curbs is asking for trouble anyway, these should only be run in empty tarmac car parks imho.

• Like 1

Nice work on the chassis and wishbones. What are the tyres you are using? I have not seen that tread pattern before. I am trying to find tyres to fit my Celica GrB as the originals are so rare.

Yes those are the tyres on it, you HAVE to put sponges on the inside otherwise the tyres 'dip in'