Sign in to follow this  
Jason1145

Turnigy 2wd Short Course Truck build

40 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Great news yours went together easily.. I just saw my one upstairs and now I want to go run it again... I think I got the  16t Pinion on in the end and it’s a good match for the 3100kv motor on 2s.

Yeah that HK site is frustrating to navigate... I’ll try find the links for you later on

Thanks for the tip on the spares. Looks like I can search by kit number a bit more effectively. A2032 is ours I think?

I have a 4370kv sensorless to try on the stock 13t. We'll see. Currently in masking badword with that Flotek body! 

I’ll go with your guess on the model number, think it’s messy as there was a desert buggy version of this too with different body but got its own model number too but all other parts are interchangeable.

Keep this updated with your progress or link through any updates you do on your own threads please!

• Like 1

Don't mean to intrude on your thread, will remove if you like! 

The 'office racers' have been finished and my boss's looks amazing. Very marlboro! 

received_1867380510056496.thumb.jpeg.93176d2b8434c8c6c75b5efdb7ef886a.jpeg

I'm running 3900kv with a 50a ESC. Desperately wanting to go sensored for some finer control. He's on a 5100kv which is currently eating Escs although they were from my last batch of homebrew firmware. Run-time is pretty solid on a 5ah 2s lipo

Because mine has been used for practice by the both of us I'm already in need of a new shell. They are like glass it's unreal. Hope the proline bodies work out a bit better. Buying one is only about 20 quid less than the trucks cost! (On sale that is)  I've soured on my paint job and want to have a go to improve! 

I really like the suspension as stock. Jumps and lands well! I have some aluminium hubs and steering knuckles on order that should turn up next week

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

Don't mean to intrude on your thread, will remove if you like! 

The 'office racers' have been finished and my boss's looks amazing. Very marlboro! 

received_1867380510056496.thumb.jpeg.93176d2b8434c8c6c75b5efdb7ef886a.jpeg

I'm running 3900kv with a 50a ESC. Desperately wanting to go sensored for some finer control. He's on a 5100kv which is currently eating Escs although they were from my last batch of homebrew firmware. Run-time is pretty solid on a 5ah 2s lipo

Because mine has been used for practice by the both of us I'm already in need of a new shell. They are like glass it's unreal. Hope the proline bodies work out a bit better. Buying one is only about 20 quid less than the trucks cost! (On sale that is)  I've soured on my paint job and want to have a go to improve! 

I really like the suspension as stock. Jumps and lands well! I have some aluminium hubs and steering knuckles on order that should turn up next week

They both look great, the stock shell for both? Please post up to Flotek when done to see how it fits.

Which warehouse has those alloy bits, I tried ordering last year but they were out of stock and I gave up

I got most of my alu hits from the UK warehouse. EU is pretty good timewise. I try to stay away from  global because of  impatience . Although all but the Knuckles and servo saver in aluminium are out of stock in UK.  I might machine my own shock towers. 

Both bodies are the kit ones. I kind of want one of the 1979 f150 bodies they make for the slash. Weirdly one of the products I build at work is called a flowteq so maybe a flowtek body might be needed after all! 

I am in the process of finishing an F150 Raptor Flotek shell from mine. Its taken me weeeeeeeks to paint it. Combination of Christmas, weather and illness making it very drawn out. The proline shells have marked body mount holes for the Ultima SC which are just about right. I had to flip both bumpers to get them inside the body to get it to fit but that might be me rushing the fit up. Hopefully will finish it over the next week if this cough ever ******s off. Paint fumes and a bad chest do not mix well! 

Got my F150 Raptor Flotek shell finished and on. Couple of things to learn from mine. 

Proline Flotek Ford F150 body on Turnigy 2wd Short Course TruckProline Flotek Ford F150 body on Turnigy 2wd Short Course TruckProline Flotek Ford F150 body on Turnigy 2wd Short Course TruckProline Flotek Ford F150 body on Turnigy 2wd Short Course TruckProline Flotek Ford F150 body on Turnigy 2wd Short Course Truck

Having done my best to position it I used the forward most Ultima SC holes on the body. This was a mistake. The front wheels sit too far forward and catch the shell a bit. I mainly ended up like this because - as you can see - it's the only position the body fits with the rear end cut nicely deep and fitting around the bumpers. I have had to flip both front and rear bumpers through 180 deg to get it to fit. I also put the rear body mount in the highest position and added 2.5mm shock spacers under the front body mounts to lift that a little too. I think the ideal position over the arches is the rearward Ultima SC holes which would shift it forward about 6mm. I can't do this now because the holes would merge into each other. You would also need to do some serious cutting at the rear to fit it around the bumper. May guess is you would put the bumper back to stock orientation and cut the rear panel out almost completely. 

I have enjoyed running it though. It grip rolls a bit and I have bodged a front anti roll bar on using a spare DT03 item. Definitely helped but I would like some different springs but I gave no idea what size to buy for such big shocks. 

20190115_195514

I would really like to get a chassis cover for it too to protect the electrics when running when it's a bit damp. Not seen anything yet. 

Finally I had some trouble with driveshafts binding when running enough camber at the rear. It's very tight on the dog bones. Today I was going through my spares and found some 3mm thick 1050 bearings I got when having binding issues on my DN01. I got then from RC bearings in the UK. They only have a rubber seal on one side. I popped these on the inside position on the rear uprights and just added an M5 washer between the spacer and hex on the outside to take up the slack. Works perfectly! No binding at all on the driveshafts. Gotta be worth a couple of quid. 

https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/bearings/mixed-seal/MR105rzB3

• Like 2

You got it looking pretty good there, great paint job and fitment too.

When the weather turns a bit drier I'll dust mine out for a run it is sitting there ready to (grip) roll!

Have you got it airborne yet, wondering if it nose dives or tail slaps on landing?

24 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

You got it looking pretty good there, great paint job and fitment too.

When the weather turns a bit drier I'll dust mine out for a run it is sitting there ready to (grip) roll!

Have you got it airborne yet, wondering if it nose dives or tail slaps on landing?

Not got it airborne yet, but hopefully running at the track on Sunday. Weather isn't looking too pretty so probably won't get to run outside on the national track, just indoor with a couple of simple kickers. Will report back though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Got my F150 Raptor Flotek shell finished and on. Couple of things to learn from mine.

I would really like to get a chassis cover for it too to protect the electrics when running when it's a bit damp. Not seen anything yet. 

Looks good!  All of yours do!

Having the chassis open to everything coming off the tires is what has kept me from getting a sct.  My OCD would force me to come up with some guards inside the body.  Or a cover as you said.  The shortcut for my internet dumps me right at this truck when I go to HK's website!  Still tempted to buy it.

Just now, kwkenuf said:

Looks good!  All of yours do!

Having the chassis open to everything coming off the tires is what has kept me from getting a sct.  My OCD would force me to come up with some guards inside the body.  Or a cover as you said.  The shortcut for my internet dumps me right at this truck when I go to HK's website!  Still tempted to buy it.

Thanks. Glad you like it. 

There are a few options for the Team Associated SC10 for covers but I don't know if they would fit the Ultima SC/Turnigy SCT copy we have here. They are just a bit too pricey to give it a try. I have asked a couple of people to trial fit them but I haven't heard back. 

It's only 2WD yet the front tires still manage to kick up dirt into the chassis!

I've got a casing I started designing a while back. I'll get it finished up and do some test peices. Should be splash/dirt resistant.

Love the look of the shell also!

So you've had this truck for awhile; what do you think?  Is it worth the asking price?  Best/worst points about it?

It's cheap compared to the mainstream Traxxas Slash and Kyosho Ultime SC... but driving them and to the casual user like myself there's not too much difference driving them around ... big and floaty just like a SCT should be.

I didn't enjoy the build it was hard work with poorly threaded plastics and poor instructions that just suffice but you need to triple check and squint a lot to make sure it's going right.

The alloy shocks leaked and a couple did  unscrew themselves so maybe that a lack of quality there, I can't figure how to mount the rear shocks properly but that might be my error as no one else reported a problem.

Dirt cheap parts can't complain overall apart from the above.

Once you jazz up the shell and wheels it can look awesome