nowinaminute

Nikko F150 twin 540 motor MT Project.

15 hours ago, Exmantion said:

Hello,

I have Nikko f-150 with fried motor, which I would like to replace. Maybe I am a noob in rc cars but my problem is I can't get inside to compartment where motor with gears are. When I undo all screws (which is really hard because wheels block access to them) i can't take left and right parts apart because wheels hold them together, I can only get 2mm of gap between them. I've been looking over internet to find something but I couldn't.

I would be very grateful for any help :)

IMG_20191110_115010.jpg

IMG_20191110_114954.jpg

Hi there,

This is a later model with a more simplistic chassis. As you have discovered, the wheels aren't held on with nuts like a hobby grade.

The motor has a black plastic cover on it. There should be two screws holding that cover on. They are tricky to reach with the wheel on but it can be done. Usually you'll need to use a pair of pliers and a screwdriver bit to create a makeshift right angle screw driver to get into the cramped space. On that cover is off, the motor should come out. It's only held in place by the cover.

If you want to get the wheel off there's a little more effort required. This technique applies to most toy grades that have press on collars instead of nuts on axles. You need to support one wheel from underneath and use a hammer and punch to knock the axle out of the bushing. Be careful though, you're obviously risking damaged plastic using this method!

Here's a good visual example from when fellow TC member Live Stream Mad took the wheels of his Taiyo Jet Hopper:

SrXwGiY.jpg

You need to support one of the wheels 

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2019 at 2:07 PM, nowinaminute said:

Hi there,

This is a later model with a more simplistic chassis. As you have discovered, the wheels aren't held on with nuts like a hobby grade.

The motor has a black plastic cover on it. There should be two screws holding that cover on. They are tricky to reach with the wheel on but it can be done. Usually you'll need to use a pair of pliers and a screwdriver bit to create a makeshift right angle screw driver to get into the cramped space. On that cover is off, the motor should come out. It's only held in place by the cover.

If you want to get the wheel off there's a little more effort required. This technique applies to most toy grades that have press on collars instead of nuts on axles. You need to support one wheel from underneath and use a hammer and punch to knock the axle out of the bushing. Be careful though, you're obviously risking damaged plastic using this method!

Here's a good visual example from when fellow TC member Live Stream Mad took the wheels of his Taiyo Jet Hopper:

SrXwGiY.jpg

You need to support one of the wheels 

Yes, Thank you very much! I managed to unscrew this two super hidden screws which I think are really hard to spot without taking the wheels off. Nevertheless, now I will just find some replacement for this motor, which fortunately happened to have something like a nameplate with a model number (RS-880SH RN563Z07, where first 8 might be 3). Thank you one more time :)

Haven't used this for ages but here's some old video I didn't post before:

Hi

I have read your articles with great interest. A friend of mine had given my son a Hercules (minus its controller). We have replaced the electronics with modern equipment and was thinking of following your tutorial; to install bearings in the truck to improve its operation and to lengthen its life. Unfortunately when my son took it out for a test drive all was good but then disaster struck and a loud crunching noise was heard from the gearbox! We opened the gearbox and all appeared OK but ten we opened the diff and found that the axle holding the two bevel gears had ripped through the walls of the axle seat and also ripped trough one of the screw pillars. I have been looking online for some months now for a replacement diff (or even a cheap donor vehicle) but to no avail. I thought I would write you a note to see if you (or anyone else) know of any suitable replacement diffs that can be used in the vehicle (with minor modification if neccessary) so I can get this vehicle back running and hopefully continue with the long term bearing upgrade. Would also be nice to turn this from 2WD to 4WD but doubt I could find a suitable donor at reasonable price  to also make this possible.

Thanks for any information you could give me
Simon