Carts

Best tape to stick down ESC???

Need to fit new ESC to tt01 ... what’s the best sticky tape to fix the ESC down with to chassis? 

3m double sided. I have tried a few others and none work as well. I got it on amazon for about $5

• Like 1

3m is one of the best for sure!

I've actually gotten on quite well with the double side pads from poundland of all places too!

My favourite though is 3m dual lock, it's sort of like a successor to velcro that doesn't wear out, instead of hooks and loops there's tiny little mushoom shaped stems that lock together. You can get different strengths (different stem desnsity) and you can mix different densities to fine tune the strength. I prefer it because it's easy to swap components between vehicles like velcro but doesn't lose strength over time.

20 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

3m is one of the best for sure!

I've actually gotten on quite well with the double side pads from poundland of all places too!

My favourite though is 3m dual lock, it's sort of like a successor to velcro that doesn't wear out, instead of hooks and loops there's tiny little mushoom shaped stems that lock together. You can get different strengths (different stem desnsity) and you can mix different densities to fine tune the strength. I prefer it because it's easy to swap components between vehicles like velcro but doesn't lose strength over time.

Where u get it from?

9 minutes ago, Carts said:

Where u get it from?

Ebay, hobbyking, amazon etc. The usual suspects. I usually mix the 400 stem/Sq inch and 250 stem/Sq inch.

I use number plate tape to stick my components it's strong enough to let me pick up the car by the receiver or the esc and bounce it up and down without fear of it coming away. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I use number plate tape to stick my components it's strong enough to let me pick up the car by the receiver or the esc and bounce it up and down without fear of it coming away. 

I use this too ..... also Velcro on items I need to adjust

"3M Exterior Mounting Tape" is the only one I can find in Amazon. That might be an overkill for ESC (unless you want to use your ESC as a front bumper). So, a bit of a reluctant yay vote for that.    

I've used about a foot length on our exterior door of our office (a little name plate 5-6 years ago).  Through hot sun, freezing cold, some rain, it's still stuck there.  If I tried to take it off, it might break the door.  If you attach a flat part of your RC car to the door with this tape, it might stay there for years.  (Then again why would you attach an RC car to the door? Ooh, like an animal trophy, maybe! )  

I use Sellotape Sticky Fixer Pads. Never had an issue with an ESC or reciever coming loose. Only cost a couple of pounds for decent sized pack, and easy to find in your local supermarket.

Do people clean surfaces with acetone or something before sticking? I have some modelsport foam double sided and some number plate tape and none of it sticks. Comes loose, gets dirt in it, comes off. Any tips?

Acetone may dissolve the plastics. I use a little methylated spirit to clean the surfaces prior to sticking. 

• Thanks 1

I prefer No More Nails double sided tape. Its super strong and has a spongy layer too, but also when needed the esc can be prised away and the tape removed leaving no horrible remains.

James.

• Like 1

Agnostic Velcro (aka DualLock shown above) is good if you remove a lot.

For general purpose I use black foam tape like for car badges etc, works well enough & removes clean.

Occasionally I use the clear Scotch silicone tape too, if it's going to be seen (eg coloured item on a transparent part)

If you really don't ever want to remove it ever... 3M VHB grey tape.

+1 for No More Nails tape. Super sticky, but alsoeasy to remove...

The version you can get in the UK has changed and is now white, but they used to do a semi transparent version which works the best. I managed to find it in France last year, so I stocked up...

I use Shoe Goo. It holds great through crashes but with the right amount of force easy to remove.  i also use it to keep wires in place when there are no holes for tiewraps

• Like 1