hi everyone who reads this,

I own a tamiya m05 v2 pro and the standard diff (not the ball diff) suddendly started knocking and it slows the car down. I took my diff/transmission apart and gave it a quick clean but it didn't help. What should I do? take the car apart and clean it really good? just buy the standard ball diff? or is it not the diff but something else?

I hope someone can help me

Slowing down sounds like a differential problem.  I don't own M05, but often in RC, knocking means gears skipping.  I would look for a possible gap between gears (especially in the differential).  

1) Differential's 3 bolts are loose (BA8 below). 

2) Differential's two 9mm washers (BA10 below, working as spacers) are left out so that there is a gap.  

3) The gearbox holding down the gears is not tightly screwed down (Don't over tighten! This is probably not a worry for M05, because 4x4 drive shaft is lacking).

I wish you luck.  It's frustrating now, but solving the problem can be exciting.  

3CpSLc3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kingfisher I didn't strip a tooth but I am just gonna get it apart and have another look in there

Check that the grub screw didn't back out of your pinion. I've had this happen and created the same effects you describe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ocd this could be true cause my pinion was weird when I screwed it open but I got it back to normal and it still does it. How did you fix this

so update

i completly re-did my pinion and it sounds better but I can't tell or this is normal or of

so check the sound here:

thanks everyone that helped me/is going to help me

Sounds just like my M03M which is front wheel drive too.

let the loctite on the pinion dry fully then take it for a trial

• Thanks 1

Something certainly dragging or damaged. 

Did you check the outdrives in the wheel hubs? 

Is your pinion worn badly? The grub screw on the pinion is not touching anything? 

Try replacing all the gears I’d say. 

Juls

• Thanks 1

I'm with @Jason1145 on this - it doesn't sound much different to my M-03, and that is in good order with a steel pinion and only a few runs on the gearset. It also sounds not dissimilar to my mate's M-05.

That said, if you found that the pinion was out of place, it wouldn't hurt to check the spur gear for damaged or worn teeth. However even with perfect gears, Tamiya minis are not the quietest of cars. 

• Thanks 1

what motor?

Not unknown for brushed motors to "throw a wind" if its a sudden occurrance like you've said. Loss of 1 of 3 wind stacks on the armature often still allows it to run but impaired.

Bad/dirty drivetrain gear problems are usually more gradual &/or obvious on dissection.

Not so common with brushless motors... if they suffer injury they usually stop working.

• Thanks 1

so nothing is damaged like I said, ty for your help. I'll just buy loctite for the grub screw. I'm just gonna take it to the track and see what happends and what everyone with a m05/m03 (nearly thesame) thinks about it there.