Sign in to follow this  
clodlover2017

Ball diff for Blackfoot...

All it does is fix the gear box issue with the blackfoot and allows you to run any motor basically without issues. Only thing it didnt solve and not everyone has this issue is the universals pop out. I still have this problem, but only going over bumps or flips. 

• Like 1

A ball differential doesn't make you go faster or slower.  Well, it might make it slower if it's heavier, or faster if it's lighter than the stock diff.  But I doubt that the weight difference is significant enough for you to notice.  There are 2 benefits with a ball differential.  

1) The gearbox of this chassis (unofficially named as ORV) is known to spread apart and give you the annoying clicking noise and wear out the diff gear. (My stock diff hasn't given me the clicking noise yet, so I don't need ball diff at this point.)  This will not happen to a ball differential, because it is held together with a screw.

2) You can adjust the strength of the differential action.  If you lift the car and turn one of the rear wheels, the other rear wheel turns the opposite direction.  That's the work of a differential gear.  People adjust how freely the diff rotates.  I like using diff clay or very sticky grease like melted toffee.  But on open differential like Blackfoot, that could be difficult.  So people us a ball differential.  It offers adjustability without the messiness of clay.  

Just as @Rb4276 said, it's just a differential gear.  Using a hotter motor is not a requirement, so you can keep the ESC.  

2 hours ago, clodlover2017 said:

where do I get the new universals that wont pop out?

Limiting the travel on the rear suspension by a few mm may help stop the universals popping out on bigger jumps etc..

The drive shafts can also pop out due to the rear arms flexing outwards if you have a "cart wheel" style crash.. I think that there were a few companies that made a kit to try and stop the arms flexing outwards back in the 80's, but I haven't seen anything lately though..