Hey Guys

My first posting here.

So.. many years ago in a galaxy far far away when i was a young lad i received a brand new Boomerang as a B'day present already made by my Dads mate, much fun had! entered in Sunday meets (just 4 fun racin) and alot of after school bashing with me mate Cotsell.

30 years on after looking for gadgets to spend some hard earned cash on discovered that Tamiya were still going, after a second! contemplating decided got to get one.

Having never before  built a Tamiya or any other rc vehicle  I were looking forward and hoping to be challenged by the build, Overall Enjoyed putting together found instructions very informative and build quite easy, did over a week for an hour or so each evening, the most daunting part of the project was the body cutting, experimented on the chassis cover with scissors, went ok but not perfect, The body however i wanted it to be perfection. So did some research from mainly you guys here on Tamiyaclub and was suprised that many of you mentioned scoring with a craft knife and bending was key, this works superbly  and is actually quite therapeutic creating the bodywork this way (very light scoring and very sharp thin blade required).

PLAYTIME

First run.. 3000mah nimh battery, stock tble 2esc and silver Mahbuchi motor.(not recorded)

Run 2.. hpi firebolt 15t motor same battery and esc but with steel 17pinion on motor. 26mph??? ..... according to iphone 4s app attached inside body.

O.k to be honest i was sceptical about the old iphone 4s gps reading and app, so have now changed to samsung s6 with very good and tested app.

Today ,  I received direct from Hong Kong Ezrun 9t brushless motor and esc combo (£27.99) fitted, works well and leaves skidmarks all over laminated flooring in house 😀... will inform if any requests are taken on next run..

Any guesses ? 

• Like 1

Has this thread passed you by?

I managed 26.1 mph with a silver can on 3s lipo.

Get it film an get yourself on the list 👍

I'd go for 34mph (ps if your device only runs whole numbers, run in kph, you can maybe gain a mph 😉)

• Like 1

Yes, those 9 turn HobbyWing EZ Run are good value.. I had a Wild Willy 2 with a Sports Tuned motor that I found to be rather slow and boring to drive.. I fitted a 9T EZ Run motor and 2S LiPo in it, and from the moment that I first mashed the throttle, I had a smile on my face that lasted for hours...

I'm going to guess 36Mph... ;-)

Wooders,

Read that thread and realised I could potentially get there, Will be filming and have a 2s lipo ready (flureon) just hope the steering holds a straight line 😁

• Like 2

Backlash,

Honestly I  was suprised such an increase of power, i look forward to getting it tested on a road, the laminate floor is suffering from cleaning I've done today lol.

C'mon 35mph + I will post a video 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devonnick said:

Backlash,

Honestly I  was suprised such an increase of power, i look forward to getting it tested on a road, the laminate floor is suffering from cleaning I've done today lol.

C'mon 35mph + I will post a video 

Don't forget to keep and eye on the motor temperature during your run to make sure that the motor is not getting too hot..

If the motor is not getting hot, then you may be able to gear up (fit a bigger pinion gear) for even more speed..

I made 35mph with a quick drive thunder dragon on 3s and brushless.

Go 3s lipo and hit 40mph. lol

Brief update.

Due to snow here in the U.K I haven't had a chance to do any testing.

In reply to wolfdogstinkus I ordered a 3s lipo which came today (very excited showing 12.5v on testmeter)

All set to go this weekend, hopefully my Sigma sport pure gps speedo arrives by then, picked this up on amazon bargain price £35, And also another cool little gadget ordered from Ebay is a Q11 mini camera which hopefully sits nicely in cockpit so will get a nice close up of tyres probably blowing off.

21 minutes ago, Devonnick said:

Brief update.

Due to snow here in the U.K I haven't had a chance to do any testing.

In reply to wolfdogstinkus I ordered a 3s lipo which came today (very excited showing 12.5v on testmeter)

All set to go this weekend, hopefully my Sigma sport pure gps speedo arrives by then, picked this up on amazon bargain price £35, And also another cool little gadget ordered from Ebay is a Q11 mini camera which hopefully sits nicely in cockpit so will get a nice close up of tyres probably blowing off.

Does that record the highest speed? I looked at them before and thought they only showed the live speed. 

Snakehands,

Yes it does, got mine from Amazon as used, not received yet should be with me on Thursday, can give you a review if you like in comparison of phone gps and van speedo.

11 minutes ago, Snakehands said:

Does that record the highest speed? I looked at them before and thought they only showed the live speed. 

Snakehands,

Yes it does, got mine from Amazon as used, not received yet should be with me on Thursday, can give you a review if you like in comparison of phone gps and van speedo.

• Thanks 1

On 20/03/2018 at 8:09 PM, Devonnick said:

I ordered a 3s lipo which came today (very excited showing 12.5v on testmeter)

A full charged lipo is 4.2v a cell, so thats about right. 👍 

Looking forward to the vid! 

31 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

A full charged lipo is 4.2v a cell, so thats about right. 👍 

Looking forward to the vid! 

? With the 3s plugged in the esc fan has failed, on a volt test the esc to fan is giving 12.5v which is far to much for a 5v fan, £27.99 hobby ezrun copy direct from Hong Kong so not to bothered by that, my concern now is that high voltage to the steering servo, I can' t remember the volt rating for the servo, again only a cheap 9.99 off amazon sure it was 7.2v, how long or any idea if the extra 5v from 3s will knacker this too ?

• Confused 1

Is the esc rated for 3s use? You may need to programme the esc? All my esc's you can set values via a programme card / box or via a laptop.

Has anyone else any experience with these esc's?

No idea on the clones but genuine HW that I run should do 2-3S https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-60a-brushless-esc-for-1-10?variant=214139030

but they tell you to rewire the fan over to the BEC 6V line out before running 3S; I think I just amputated mine :) 

If servo is powered via RX powered by ESC's BEC, then it'll only be getting 6V. (HW BEC says 6V 1.5A)

Is that the lipo low voltage pre set to 3v a cell? I'd be a bit nervous running to that, but thats just me 🙄😂

On 20/03/2018 at 8:09 PM, Devonnick said:

In reply to wolfdogstinkus I ordered a 3s lipo 

Hehe. Dont blame me when your tyres are bald and your chassis is bust in half.  But at least you will be smiling. 

• Haha 1

On 20/03/2018 at 8:30 PM, Snakehands said:

Snakepalms,

Got me gps(Sigma sport pure gps) and can confirm it does record Max speed, works well and is as good as my Berlingo van built in sat nav Speedo,

However does take time to register top speed like most gps do.

And is about 2mph lower than current speed shown on Van speedo but this seems common on any gps tested. (******* van i know ).

• Thanks 1

On 22/03/2018 at 12:55 PM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Hehe. Dont blame me when your tyres are bald and your chassis is bust in half.  But at least you will be smiling. 

I'll be going to a  claim no blame website and sue you if my elecs and car snap. Lol