Wondering if it would be ok to start a BRAT thread - maybe tell us why you chose the BRAT - and just in general see some good lookin BRATs.

I'll start by saying my love for the Tamiya BRAT started with the infamous Manhattan Project BRAT scene, truck pictured.

I saw this as a teenager and wanted a BRAT ever since, so a many years later I just bought one. 

The current state of the build: 4EE99005-1EF6-44F8-8DF7-7FA20313012F_zpslycllera.jpg

Aluminum wheels are on the way, a surfboard, I have a beer keg, some license plates, and the overall theme will surfing/beach cruiser.

Let's see your's, you only see so much on Google :)

I

brat.JPG

• Like 4

Good idea! There are a lot of notable Subaru Brats on this forum.

However, it might also be a good idea to have the thread moved to the General Discussions forum, since there are a fair number of re-releases, too ;)

Looking forward to seeing yours done up!

A brat is on my wishlist, but a, fall guy, rep.

The brat might actually survive some of those jumps! 🤔

Seen the title and was going to add a pic of my 2 little ones ;):lol: , whoops.

The Sub Brats do look like fun though. Do they suffer from ORV diff issues like its large wheeled brothers ( MB and Blackfoot ) ?

James

:)

Hi Jim,  Yes like all tamiyas there are weak links and the aftermarket answered nicely with the MIP diff, which I have installed in mine.  Apparently you can run brushless motors with it.  I won't be but you can.

The original Brat kit didn't have a diff at all, and it used a 380 motor. Lasted forever, and worked great on loose dirt/sand.

I'd post a photo of my re-re, but it's still in the box...

The green one was taken from an ebay auction in Germany that I was out bid on. It was alleged to have been used in some sort of challenge cant remember now. Never seen it again but I kept all the ebay pics as I plan to do a replica sometime. 

DSCF3104.JPG

DSCF8654.JPG

green-brat-3.jpg

• Like 1

[Threads Merged]

Tried this in the vintage forum and it failed,  i was told to do it in this forum,  let's see those brats?   Mine is in progress:       Would love to see what everyone else has done.  Mine will be surf themed when it's done, with a surfboard on the back, retro stripes, and aluminum wheels.

brat1.jpg

• Like 1

I would not write it off; there were some Subaru Brats on that thread, and probably more to come. I can vouch for the chassis; it runs well!

On 3/18/2018 at 7:29 AM, zakspeed said:

The green one was taken from an ebay auction in Germany that I was out bid on. It was alleged to have been used in some sort of challenge cant remember now. Never seen it again but I kept all the ebay pics as I plan to do a replica sometime. 

DSCF8654.JPG

This is awesome, unique paint scheme.  Love the aluminum wheels, mine are coming today :D

On 3/16/2018 at 3:27 PM, KEV THE REV said:

I've had many Brats over the years , and this is my latest project . A new built vintage chassis , and a vintage body restoration / save from bin . I love the looks of the Brat and general stance of it .

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=127067&id=5280

I can't believe you salvaged that body!   Jeez!  That's something we'd have done as teenagers, now we just go on Ebay and buy a new body :D

On a unrelated note - does anyone know if the Blackfoot, black plastic electronics cover fits underneath the BRAT body or is it too low to fit that cover?  Thanks!

I have always had a dislike of the Brat / Frog - it was one of the first cars I built as a demonstrator for the model shop I worked in in my teens. The re-re's had really just taken off, you had the Hornet, Thundershot, Lunchbox, Brat and Frog. I built a Hornet for the shop and thought "hey, these old cars are much easier to assemble"

Then I had to build a Brat :blink:

Assembling the wheels seemed really hard. I've learned lots of tips since of course, but that was the one thing that stood out. From an engineering perspective, it just didn't look very 'car' like to me!

I can see the nostalgia of them now of course. Just don't ask me to build one. Ever again.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I have always had a dislike of the Brat / Frog - it was one of the first cars I built as a demonstrator for the model shop I worked in in my teens. The re-re's had really just taken off, you had the Hornet, Thundershot, Lunchbox, Brat and Frog. I built a Hornet for the shop and thought "hey, these old cars are much easier to assemble"

Then I had to build a Brat :blink:

Assembling the wheels seemed really hard. I've learned lots of tips since of course, but that was the one thing that stood out. From an engineering perspective, it just didn't look very 'car' like to me!

I can see the nostalgia of them now of course. Just don't ask me to build one. Ever again.

You get strong fingers by the 4th tire/wheel assembly. :D

Thanks for the feedback - that was one of the first re-issues with the chrome chassis.The paint scheme was copied from the Hyundai Accent WRC. The wheels were Rad22rad's. I sold that on ebay around 10 years ago - never seen it again. I have loads more i'll post... 

2 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

You get strong fingers by the 4th tire/wheel assembly. :D

I think Brat/Rough rider tires are cake to install.  The *******in pin-spike rears on the hornet/frog/superchamp are unbelievable knuckle-busters to get the center wheel section in.

Definitely on my want list. They seem to handle off road a little better than a Frog too, I don't know if it's the body weight mking the suspension work a bit better or what (they both need softer suspension though)

4 minutes ago, zakspeed said:

P8251371.JPG

I think that's the look i'd like to go for if/when I get one. Something a bit ratty.

It’s a bonus these come with 2 body shells. I don’t know of any other kits that do?

I chose a Stadium Blitzer over a Brat last October, kinda regret it a little. As I think the Brats handling would be bit better. Mainly as I think I’ve used to thin of a grease in the diff so just spins in a circle when turning on loose surfaces with the Sport turned in it. Fine on hard stuff though. 

Enjoy your Brats ;) Very nice examples shown here.