Peter_B

What chassis for an off road/rally Mini?

If I wanted to build a rally type Mini what chassis should I be looking at?

I'm vaguely aware of the M03 etc but as far as I know they're all on road only.

MF01X is the obvious choice, 4WD m-chassis and made for off-road

...although, now you've mentioned it, I have a spare M03 chassis that I'm now wondering about making into a 2WD rally thing :)

• Like 1

M03/04/05/06 can be converted to rally spec with the 51425 “ra” uprights. 

Tamiya 51425 link

Ive done it to a m05 and m06, but being 2wd you can’t really use them anywhere that’s not a firm flat surface cause your constantly getting bogged as the wheels are so tiny it takes nothing to spin up one wheel and bottom out the chassis, ending your forward momentum. The front drive got bogged less than rear drive, but honestly both where pretty hopeless on all but the perfect surface

MF01x comes standard with “ra” upright and it’s also 4wd which drastically improves its off-road ability because you don’t get bogged as often so more surfaces open up.

So I could get the recent MF01x Beetle Rally kit and plonk a Mini shell on?

12 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

So I could get the recent MF01x Beetle Rally kit and plonk a Mini shell on?

That’s pretty much exactly what you should do. Just check the wheelbase you might have to buy a different centre driveshaft. 

It comes in the same three wheelbases as all other m chassis. Just need a suitable prop shaft to connect front and rear gearboxes. Everything else should be in the box.

If you're after a low-slung old Mini... afaik the MF01X has motor and a big square stump hanging far out behind the rear axle line... Mini shell might not have enough butt to clear.

But if you hike it up Monster a Mini style then it might work :) 

Ahh yeah, didn’t think about a mini shell and the huge butt on a mf01x. Hopefully someone has both and can confirm

tamiya need to make a mf01 “F”

You can put Tl01 arms on an M03 chassis and get some better ground clearance and wider track - see avatar pic :)

Take note ~ the mini shell will not fit due to the motor at the rear. 

The Honda S800 fits though.

9 hours ago, Juls1 said:

tamiya need to make a mf01 “F”

This times 1000.  I could finally build a proper front-engine RWD  MX-5/Miata, Giulia, Z4, S13, ... you get the point.

As I discovered with my M-03 Suzuki Swift, even with the normal uprights fitted it makes a fine really chassis, capable of surprising feats of rough ground running with nothing more than a set of Rally Blocks, longer shocks and a TL-01B kick up front bumper. 

Sooo seems like best option is some RA uprights on a m03/05. Sorry completely forgot about the rear motor fowling the body shell. 

12 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

You can even do a Porsche 959 rally on a m05 chassis which I though was kinda neat. Search team blue groove on ebay.

Gosh at that point just build an MF01x... seriously it's rear-motor 4wd just like the real thing.  

A front-engine FWD 911/959 is just plain wrong.

6 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

Gosh at that point just build an MF01x... seriously it's rear-motor 4wd just like the real thing. 

MF01X 959 sounds like a great idea! Mechanically similar to the real thing, modern running gear and easy to get parts. Someone please do this with a buikd thread!

41 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

MF01X 959 sounds like a great idea! Mechanically similar to the real thing, modern running gear and easy to get parts. Someone please do this with a buikd thread!

like this? 

• Thanks 1