TurnipJF

Jason1145's TL-01B resto

As those of you who frequent the main forum will know, fellow forum member @Jason1145 is in the all-too-familiar situation of having more projects than time, so has sent a few of them out for others to complete. This thread will document my restoration of his TL-01B.

The car arrived this morning nicely packaged in bubblewrap - just as well as the box in which it travelled had been somewhat squashed in transit. Initial inspection showed no obvious damage to the contents though, so I think we're good. 

Tear-down will begin in earnest tomorrow morning, hopefully accompanied by photos. However I thought it best to start the thread now, in hopes that it will be mod-approved in time to be able to cover the project as it happens. 

• Like 3

Interesting concept! I was wondering about the title and poster...

Those darned My Hermes delivery boys!

Glad it got there TurnipJF.. following with interest and I can’t wait to see it running non ‘notchy’, hope the included bearings fix it.

Once back with me I have plans to fit an F150 shell on it.... that’s after you’ve ragged it around ( ahem... tested) on your 2s lipo ofcourse ( permission granted - it’s a runner after all).

And so it begins:

2018-03-25_01-14-50

Looks quite clean, externally at least. Let's see what is inside...

• Like 2

Extremities and electrics off:

2018-03-25_02-07-05

Taking off the suspension revealed quite a lot of corrosion to the hinge pins and step screws, as well as the self tappers that hold the lower wishbones together. Time for some rust remover I think.

The plastics are in good nick for the most part though, apart from one half lower wishbone that seems a bit warped. I'll see if I can rectify that in a bit with some gentle heat.

• Like 1

Rear gearbox opened:

2018-03-25_02-28-49

This quickly revealed an explanation for the "notchy" running: no rear diff bushings! The diff had been floating loose in the gearbox, meshing poorly with the idler gear and rubbing against the housing.

Other than some odd wear marks to the gearbox interior, it appears that no harm was done to the components. I'm guessing that it wasn't run for long in this state. All should be well once bearings are fitted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You’re not hanging around! 

Following with interest. Would love a crack at something like this, just not someone else’s. I’d be worried about damaging something or come it being finished not wanting to give it back 😂

• Like 1

Disassembly complete!

All the corroded metal bits are soaking in Hammerite rust remover:

2018-03-25_03-42-15

The non-corroded metal bits are soaking in GT85:

2018-03-25_03-41-23

The plastics are soaking in warm soapy water:

2018-03-25_03-42-34

• Like 3

Plastics are clean and out to dry:

2018-03-25_06-02-54

The perceptive amongst you will notice the addition of a second body post (the car was missing one) and a TL-01 rear bumper which provides a stronger connection between the left and right gearbox halves than the standard fiberglass plate, while also offering some protection in the case of a rear end collision.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Rear gearbox opened:

2018-03-25_02-28-49

This quickly revealed an explanation for the "notchy" running: no rear diff bushings! The diff had been floating loose in the gearbox, meshing poorly with the idler gear and rubbing against the housing.

Other than some odd wear marks to the gearbox interior, it appears that no harm was done to the components. I'm guessing that it wasn't run for long in this state. All should be well once bearings are fitted.

Genius!

Yep I only ran it indoors for 5 seconds on hearing that notchyness!

In my defence I didn’t look inside the car at all... just added Electrics to run it... I know I know.. shame on me.

Thanks Turnip this is very encouraging and it’s great to see it getting some tlc... today I’ve spent an hour rebuilding a rear diff on a 2wd Short Course Truck build from Turnigy and think I’ve mastered where the shims now go.... this is irrelevant to your current project but I just want to point out I’m not a lazy Oik afraid to get my hands RC dirty ;)

Keep up the good work pal! 

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Plastics are clean and out to dry:

2018-03-25_06-02-54

The perceptive amongst you will notice the addition of a second body post (the car was missing one) and a TL-01 rear bumper which provides a stronger connection between the left and right gearbox halves than the standard fiberglass plate, while also offering some protection in the case of a rear end collision.

Yes I think it would be tougher having the rear bumper fitted too... just incase it ever gets airborne and lands back end first prahaps?

On 3/25/2018 at 6:15 PM, Jason1145 said:

Yes I think it would be tougher having the rear bumper fitted too... just incase it ever gets airborne and lands back end first prahaps?

Aye, could happen. On the subject of toughness, I see you included a pair of all-metal dogbones. I was thinking they would be of most benefit at the rear. Have you considered a similar upgrade up front? Might be an idea considering the motor you have fitted, as it will give the car very strong brakes...

Good call... per chance is there a P/N on the bag for those metal bones so I can search out another pair ready and keep them here for when it comes back... but yes please fit those ones to the rear.

I think the all metal dog bones are the thundershot ones.....Tamiya have recently upgraded the manta ray ones to thundershot metal ones on the new re-re-re

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Good call... per chance is there a P/N on the bag for those metal bones so I can search out another pair ready and keep them here for when it comes back... but yes please fit those ones to the rear.

9805551 is the part number on the bag. Tony's has them:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-9805551-19805551-Drive-Shafts-2Pcs-Thundershot-Manta-Ray-Bear-Hawk-NEW/382244765568

If you like, you could order them for delivery to my address, and I could install them during reassembly?

54 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

9805551 is the part number on the bag. Tony's has them:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-9805551-19805551-Drive-Shafts-2Pcs-Thundershot-Manta-Ray-Bear-Hawk-NEW/382244765568

If you like, you could order them for delivery to my address, and I could install them during reassembly?

Yes I might do that, thanks for the link again too, will confirm once done.

The plastics are now nice and clean, but a bit dull-looking, so I have left them soaking in dashboard spray which should give them back some of their factory sheen. We'll see how they look in the morning.

The metal parts are starting to look a lot better, less corroded and more even in colour. Should be quite presentable when reinstalled.

Not sure what the household plans are for tomorrow, but if they allow time for RC, we should see reassembly getting underway. Stay tuned! :)

• Like 2

This is a great thread so far given me some ideas if I need to do a restore again! 

Ahh... TLs very popular with noobs when new. TL01 kits come with 22 plastic bushings & 2 bronze bushings... inexperienced builders often run short on plastic & don't notice the bronze ones :) 

Or the other oddity is they put the bronze ones in the right place (spur layshaft) and somehow manage to OVERgrease them until they seize on the axle tube :huh: yeah that complaint happened more than once! Bushing welds itself to gear & tube then spins in the chassis mounts until it melts.

Assembling the gearboxes is going smoothly, but there is one issue - the bearing set supplied contains enough units to replace all the plastic bushings, but not the two bronze ones.

Since the gear on which the bronze bushings are used spins the fastest, I would have thought that bearings here would be of the utmost importance.

Luckily my mate had a couple spare in his stash, which he has donated to the project so it can be built fully ballraced. 

2018-03-26_01-53-34

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Assembling the gearboxes is going smoothly, but there is one issue - the bearing set supplied contains enough units to replace all the plastic bushings, but not the two bronze ones.

Since the gear on which the bronze bushings are used spins the fastest, I would have thought that bearings here would be of the utmost importance.

Luckily my mate had a couple spare in his stash, which he has donated to the project so it can be built fully ballraced. 

2018-03-26_01-53-34

Don’t know how that happened ( slaps his own face silly!)

Thank you to your hero friend :)

19 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Reassembly begins:

2018-03-26_12-29-44

What is length of the steering links? I have a TL-01(part. No 53300) trunbuckle tie rod set that is way too long for for the long span arm set for some reason. If you are interested and it fits I would be more than happy to donate this to the build.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ejtnt said:

What is length of the steering links? I have a TL-01(part. No 53300) trunbuckle tie rod set that is way too long for for the long span arm set for some reason. If you are interested and it fits I would be more than happy to donate this to the build.

The stock plastic links are 80mm hole to hole. They could probably do with being a little shorter though - the stock ones give quite a lot of toe in.