TurnipJF

Jason1145's TL-01B resto

In other news, the quick release battery holder is back on, with a few changes:

2018-03-27_07-56-45

You might notice that the fixed plate and the spring loaded plate have swapped sides. This has two advantages. Firstly it puts the heavier spring mechanism on the opposite side of the chassis to the motor for better balance. Secondly it points the hook-shaped lower piece of the spring loaded plate towards the rear of the car so that it is less likely to get caught up on things as the car moves forward.

The other change is a purely aesthetic one. The white spacers and 3mm nuts on the fixed plate side have been replaced with black plastic Tamiya spacers for a more factory look. 

• Like 1

Looks much better now and logical changes too.

How do you find the whole chassis layout in general?

I must remember to get some oil shocks for it in the future too.

I still have my doubts about running one of these in gravelly off road conditions for fear of those front wheels shooting debris right at the exposed battery.

2 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

I still have my doubts about running one of these in gravelly off road conditions for fear of those front wheels shooting debris right at the exposed battery.

I wonder if the polycarbonate side guards from the M-05ra can be modified to fit?

Tamiya-M05Ra.jpg

I initially posted this, thinking they protected the battery, but they do not do that on this car. Still, the shape suggests it could fit over a round-end battery, screwing directly onto the battery holder with some drilling instead of to the chassis as seen here.

The restoration looks great!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grastens said:

I wonder if the polycarbonate side guards from the M-05ra can be modified to fit?

Tamiya-M05Ra.jpg

I initially posted this, thinking they protected the battery, but they do not do that on this car. Still, the shape suggests it could fit over a round-end battery, screwing directly onto the battery holder with some drilling instead of to the chassis as seen here.

The restoration looks great!

Hmm never looked at that M05RA before so thanks for the pointer... my M03’s fulfill my mimi fwd fix.

Once it’s back with me I’ll give it some thought if I want to look at offering some protection there involving offcuts of lexan and shoe goo and screws

I had a word with my mate about protection for the battery, and he tells me that the situation may be improved with M-05 battery holders. They encapsulate the battery ends and offer more protection than the stock clips or quick release holder.

That said, he has been bashing his TL-01B on all sorts of terrain using the stock battery clips, and while the shrink wrap over his NiMH battery is now rather scuffed, it hasn't been penetrated. A hard case LiPo casing is tougher than shrink wrap, so it ought to last even longer.

As for shocks, a set of oil shocks would be a worthwhile upgrade, but the stock shocks aren't completely useless. The rubber tubes inside the shock bodies through which the "piston" passes provide a measure of friction damping, making them work better than the undamped "pogo sticks" provided with some entry level Tamiyas like my Mad Bull for example.  

• Like 1

Yeah I think I have a hardcase lipo that fits in there so it might be ok. 

The Core RC rounded ones fit nicely. That is what I am using for testing. They fit the chassis cutout nicely, and are short enough to be used without any spacers on the battery holders. 

1 hour ago, Phil5556 said:

Thanks Phil...this TL01B avoided that with the battery spacers so my slightly longer 2s lipo now fits... crafty me!

But I have an on road TL01 at home that needs a lipo too.... Euurrggghh either spend £33 on this Core RC lipo  .... or.... or..... extend that battery area too!

Thing is, reading up on this Core RC lipo it looks like it will fit many other older Tamiya’s that only accept rounded packs too so it’s got legs...... but euurrgghhh more expense.

• Like 1

The core battery is a perfect fit, smaller than my NiMHs. But it's not cheap for the spec, I guess you're paying a premium for the "convenience" of it being standard size.

I've got a couple of Turnigy batteries that are supposed to be standard stick packs but are slightly bigger and don't fit the TL01, I use them in my Top Force but had to tweak the battery mount slightly. But... They were half the price of the Core, 200mah higher capacity and higher C rating.

Or you could see it as paying for the ability to retain originality. You can keep your battery bays as the designers intended, without the need for mods. Possibly not much of a concern on a TL-01, but a worthwhile consideration for vintage models. 

• Like 1

Electrics are in:

2018-03-31_03-47-17

The massive ESC takes up pretty much the whole electronics bay, so the compact RX has been mounted to the chassis behind it, with a direct run for the antenna cable back to the aerial tube mount. I have tried to tuck as much wire as I can out of sight within the chassis for the sake of neatness.

With the extremities, shocks and wheels reattached, the chassis is pretty much done.

2018-03-31_03-47-42

The original plastic-ended dogbones have been installed up front for testing.

The 3mm nuts that were previously acting as battery spacers have been used on the tops of the outer tierod screws instead. I gather that the uprights benefit from the extra support as they can crack quite easily around the holes where the tierods attach.

• Like 2

Looks fantastic!!!!!! You’ve done a nice looking job for sure, I always struggle tucking the antenna wire away as I rarely use the proper tube holders so this is a nice plus lol ;)

• Thanks 1

If you're looking to protect your battery from stone blasting & roadrash, keep your eye out for an old bicycle innertube from a kiddy bike or BMX, not a skinny road bike (which probably uses tubeless carcasses on their fancy wheels anyway).

Cut 2" segments and wrap over the battery ends over the hangars. Keeps the wires snug too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

If you're looking to protect your battery from stone blasting & roadrash, keep your eye out for an old bicycle innertube from a kiddy bike or BMX, not a skinny road bike (which probably uses tubeless carcasses on their fancy wheels anyway).

Cut 2" segments and wrap over the battery ends over the hangars. Keeps the wires snug too.

On the list it goes! :P

Well my role in this project was completed earlier this afternoon, with the wrapping and posting of the car back to its owner.

Hopefully we'll see some photos and videos of the car in action when it arrives!

• Like 2

We sure will... I have great plans for this..... and I will try to keep it in the nice condition it is now in.. dib dob dib ;p

On 31.3.2018 at 5:10 PM, TurnipJF said:

With the extremities, shocks and wheels reattached, the chassis is pretty much done.

2018-03-31_03-47-42

The original plastic-ended dogbones have been installed up front for testing.

The 3mm nuts that were previously acting as battery spacers have been used on the tops of the outer tierod screws instead. I gather that the uprights benefit from the extra support as they can crack quite easily around the holes where the tierods attach.

I loved the idea of having the battery holder reversed.

Regarding the ESC and transmitter, I do have a recommendation. Most ESCs will actually fit in belly of the car. The way to achieve this is by removing the upper two screws of the ESC fan and taking half of the body apart and putting it back together. You can then use the little plastic 'shelf', where your ESC is currently sitting on, for mounting the transmitter. Just a heads up, make sure your antenna cable is long enough to reach the holder.

The hole for the mechanical speed controller can allow enough airflow for the ESC. You can use some mesh in order to make sure that no rocks and debris comes in from the hole.

I still haven't checked the length of those turnbuckles. I will by the end of this week.

• Like 1

Well this is now back in my arms again thanks to some awesome work by @TurnipJF for rebuilding and cleaning it all up for me, not to mention the little touches he added enroute means I now have a great buggy to run!

It was even better packaged than when I sent it!

I just had to add the wheels, rear wing mount and antenna holder, plus some new servo tape to hold the esc as it was working loose and a quick blast inside the house proves she's ready to rock.

w7UMg4I.jpg

rXoXSse.jpg

This shell will soon be replaced with a Ford F150 truck body if i can get it to fit.

cxkzzq6.jpg

Ah2uruM.jpg

Just for my reference it's running a 3900kv motor, waterproof esc, HPI SF10 waterproof servo and 19t pinion (can take 19,21,23t)

• Like 2

Glad to see it arrived safely. Sorry to hear the servo tape didn't survive the journey. 

Is it my imagination, or do you have the two back wheels fitted on the left side and the two front ones fitted on the right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

😂 yes he does indeed,. Plus I love that body imo. Makes a TL01b what it is imo. 

Great job.

James.

• Like 1