tamiya_1971

Rough Rider Purchase

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Yeah motor wires meant to be twist-together after feeding them thru the tiny hole in the radiobox. Many ppl soldered.

Yeah that wiper arm looks more bent than is usual. Can't remember if there's some spacer between the board and arm though.

Thank you!  I'm going to just take the whole thing off and throw in a cheap Hobbywing esc. 

I tried last night to disassemble the shocks. The knurled end I cannot unscrew, my worry is I’ll wear the edging more than I already have. It looks like the past owner had the same problem at one time, or at least tightened the daylights out of them to the point it left imprints on the shock body. The top end, same issue. Any suggestions on how to get these things apart?  I may just break down and buy some new shocks rather than mess them up.

23 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

I tried last night to disassemble the shocks. The knurled end I cannot unscrew, my worry is I’ll wear the edging more than I already have. It looks like the past owner had the same problem at one time, or at least tightened the daylights out of them to the point it left imprints on the shock body. The top end, same issue. Any suggestions on how to get these things apart?  I may just break down and buy some new shocks rather than mess them up.

The previous owner probably assembled the dampers as per instructions, applying silicone sealant on the threads. I would suggest immersing the dampers in WD40 for some days. The WD40 will make the silicone sealant swell, but also come loose from the brass and aluminium parts. I have disassembled many old SRB's for parts and encountered the problem you mention very often, but never had any problems getting the dampers apart once they'd been in WD40 for some days.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

The previous owner probably assembled the dampers as per instructions, applying silicone sealant on the threads. I would suggest immersing the dampers in WD40 for some days. The WD40 will make the silicone sealant swell, but also come loose from the brass and aluminium parts. I have disassembled many old SRB's for parts and encountered the problem you mention very often, but never had any problems getting the dampers apart once they'd been in WD40 for some days.

Thanks! I’ll begin my soak process this evening. I’m betting after 30 years that stuff has hardened a bit.

Okay, didn't need to soak anything. I ended up wrapping the shock bodies in painters tape, and gripped the heck out of it with pliers while removing the shock bottom and then the top. Worked well. One shock was completely full still. The other shock was empty (I only did the fronts so far). Refilled with 30wt. Should I go heavier with the oil? Any suggestions?

I saw these RC4WD shocks for the Sand Scorcher. Only downer is they are different colors:

https://tinyurl.com/yd4r9qc8

https://tinyurl.com/y9xkos3f

The front end is put back together. But in the process of tightening the ball connector to the axle, the freaking ball connector snapped off. So off to ordering a new set. 

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1093.jpg

Thank heaven for Dremel tools and small grinder bits. I drilled a hole right through the ball connector leaving all the threads intact on the axle!

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1098.JPG

• Like 3

Finally got to the gear box. The final gear looks like it has a dip in the middle of it all the way around. I'm not sure why. The gears have a smooth rotation.  

I ordered a set of gears anyway for replacement. 

Is it normal to put thread lock in place to hold bushings? It looks like that was done on this.

IMG_1142.jpg

New gears in the gearbox, new bearings, Novus on the plastic parts, Mother's polish on the chrome/brass parts, and it's coming together slowly. 

I found some new o-rings for the shocks that I'm going to try out on the rear shocks. One shock I had an issue with the brass part popping off the piston. I'm attempting some green threadlock in hopes it holds it in place.

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

• Like 1

Nice effort. With so much original stuff in tact on this one, I would lean toward keeping her all original if you can. Plenty will say "re-re will do", but jeez - used vintage RRs and SSs, and used vintage parts, and even many new vintage parts, are cheaper now than they have ever been in the history of eBay. But I'm a diehard that way :ph34r: If you prefer an original grey bumper NIP, let me know.

• Like 1

I know not everyone agrees, but I think the SRB range are so nice when they are all shiny after a good buffing restore. Great cars to resto.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hibernaculum said:

Nice effort. With so much original stuff in tact on this one, I would lean toward keeping her all original if you can. Plenty will say "re-re will do", but jeez - used vintage RRs and SSs, and used vintage parts, and even many new vintage parts, are cheaper now than they have ever been in the history of eBay. But I'm a diehard that way :ph34r: If you prefer an original grey bumper NIP, let me know.

Thanks. I’ll let you know sooner or later on that bumper. The original one that I cleaned the black paint off with the nice white haze on it, I’ve been slowly trying to polish out. It’s time consuming as heck but it’s slowly working out. I may say to heck with it though if the haze around the bumper holes and crevices won’t buff out. 

I hate to put new parts on it. I did put a new gear set in it because the old didn’t look right. I have saved everything off in a bag though. The speed control I tested last night and it’s just not working at all. Thought about hooking it up anyway and just connecting an esc to it when I feel like taking a short run. 

I cleaned up the original bumper the best I could. I noticed there were quite a few cracks in it but I attached it anyway.  Perhaps the original paint caused it? Maybe oven cleaner did it? I have no clue. I put a HobbyWing esc in it but I really am going to attempt to get the manual esc working because I think it looks funny with modern equipment in it.  I put a new o-ring in each shock and just a little bit of oil in them, enough to keep it oiled and minimal drainage.

I also noticed in the rear, one side droops more than the other. I think it's due to one of the gearbox halves being slightly off on that side (where the rear arm rests against the top of the gear box stop).

QUi2e2l.jpg

43EGcb6.jpg

G4G8oyS.jpg

7LahHc1.jpg