JeffSpicoli

Suggestions for wood bed in the BRAT

Looking for suggestions on putting a wood bed in the BRAT - I was thinking of just using balsa, but wondered if anyone has done this, with anything else?   Pics, suggestions etc appreciated.

Wood veneer???  Lots of these are already sticky on the back...

Terry

If you want to cover the whole bed (rather than just the raised ribs like topforcein did, where strips of balsa wood are ideal), then perhaps consider 1:12 scale 'dolls house' flooring - an example here on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-12-Dolls-house-Miniature-Real-Wood-strip-floor-boards-Flooring-Sheet-DIY-LGW/391990078486?hash=item5b446dec16:g:rMcAAOSwKIpWDkQP

Or you can even buy individual planks pre-stained in different wood finishes too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOLLS-HOUSE-FLOORBOARDS-MINIATURE-HARDWOOD-FLOORING-1-12TH-SIX-VENEER-TYPES/400730382747?hash=item5d4d64619b:m:mcDpSRhyC18YKWYvNlyKxeA

Jx

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

If you want to cover the whole bed (rather than just the raised ribs like topforcein did, where strips of balsa wood are ideal), then perhaps consider 1:12 scale 'dolls house' flooring - an example here on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-12-Dolls-house-Miniature-Real-Wood-strip-floor-boards-Flooring-Sheet-DIY-LGW/391990078486?hash=item5b446dec16:g:rMcAAOSwKIpWDkQP

Or you can even buy individual planks pre-stained in different wood finishes too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOLLS-HOUSE-FLOORBOARDS-MINIATURE-HARDWOOD-FLOORING-1-12TH-SIX-VENEER-TYPES/400730382747?hash=item5d4d64619b:m:mcDpSRhyC18YKWYvNlyKxeA

Jx

Really nice!  I will probably go this route.  Thanks!

I put a sheet of 1mm ply in my Pumpkin, lightly oiled it to bring the grain out.  The plan was to add thin metal strips (or tape) to make it look like proper slatted bed, but, erm, I never got round to it... :(

58594_26.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrokerBoy said:

I put a sheet of 1mm ply in my Pumpkin, lightly oiled it to bring the grain out.  The plan was to add thin metal strips (or tape) to make it look like proper slatted bed, but, erm, I never got round to it... :(

58594_26.jpg

That looks lovely Stroker'!

A suggestion here would be to simply score a series of parallel lines in the ply with a bradawl point along a metal ruler edge to form the 'planks' then put a light wash in the creases to highlight the gaps.

note. If you were lazy you could probably just use a black ball-point pen instead of a bradawl and you'd do both jobs in one ;o)

Jx

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

A suggestion here would be to simply score a series of parallel lines in the ply with a bradawl point along a metal ruler edge to form the 'planks' then put a light wash in the creases to highlight the gaps.

note. If you were lazy you could probably just use a black ball-point pen instead of a bradawl and you'd do both jobs in one ;o)

Good idea(s).  Funny how all my builds always still have a job or two remaining on the 'to-do' list...

On my pumpkin I cut and glued thin strips of mahogany veneer.  Once clear coat gave it a deep rich look

4DF217B3-8B21-4567-8347-FCAF0FBB7138_zps

• Like 3

Just a quick update to this thread - inspired by the suggestions above, I finally incorporated my own wooden load-bay bed in the YJ Wrangler recently:

i-8kgMmcw-XL.jpg

More details and photos in my Daydream B'leafer build thread starting here: 

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

Try Mc Donald's stirrers but draw down the edges with black felt tip before glueing down. Old boat builders trick + the wood is free. May need a little bit of stain  run rub down well and semi gloss( satin)  varnish.