Sign in to follow this  
WillyChang

Pajero MTW 2017 (47331) body changed?

Easter break yay. Finally found a moment to peek at Matteo's video on CC01 Pajero MTW that had another run late 2017. Checked other unboxing vids too...

The front grille now comes cut :blink: at the middle slat... HOW FUGLY!!

Is this a new development or they've done that before? (I've only got 58132s)

yeah yeah so they're to pass hunky 5mm LEDs thru... but what's wrong with unclipping the plugbody off wired LEDs and passing thru the uncircumcised grille, clipping them back on... or take the chance to unsolder & shorten the wires to "just nice" too. Doesn't take long.

If you're wanting to run without spotlights, can't just grind off the 2 screw hole bosses like before. Those fine slats on grille, not easy to patch up & make whole. :( 

I'm pretty sure my two 49490 kits were like that too. I didn't mind, because I did put the spotlights on, but I can see how it would bug you if you didn't. I never had a 58132 kit, so I didn't know they weren't always like that.

looks like the red painted XB shell is cut grille too; did that come before 49490?

probably did that mod to the molding to simplify the job for building RTRs -_-

yeah the 58132s are 20yrs+ old now :) BiTD we didn't use LEDs, had to use "grain o' rice" incandescent lightbulbs for headlights :D gives a nice warm glow.

The 58132 i restored 20yrs ago got the spotlights upgraded to blue LEDs and the headlights remained filament... lights are disconnected from chassis via 2-pin plug - plug them in proper way and all 4 light up, flip the plug and only the (no-polarised) lightbulbs come on. LEDs don't light when wrong polarity.

3 hours ago, WillyChang said:

looks like the red painted XB shell is cut grille too; did that come before 49490?

The Pajero MTW releases in chronological order:

58132 Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop Wide: 1993

49490 Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop Wide: 2008

57782 XB Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop Wide: 2009

47331 Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop Wide: 2017

47375 Mitsubishi Pajero Metal Top Wide Black Metallic: 2018

5 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I'm pretty sure my two 49490 kits were like that too. .

My 49490 definitely has the "cuts".

thanks Mokei, definitely you're a walking encyclopaedia ;)

heh, that now means the uncut MTW bodyshell... IS RARE :o^_^

Anyone noticed any similar changes with the Wrangler vs original?

Guess we'll be inspecting closely at the Mu too.

8 hours ago, WillyChang said:

The 58132 i restored 20yrs ago got the spotlights upgraded to blue LEDs and the headlights remained filament... lights are disconnected from chassis via 2-pin plug - plug them in proper way and all 4 light up, flip the plug and only the (no-polarised) lightbulbs come on. LEDs don't light when wrong polarity.

I use that "feature" of LEDs to make them switchable via the 5th channel of my DX5e: gut an old dead servo, keep only the control board and the wire, solder the LED leads to the motor leads, plug the servo lead into channel 5, and voila: switched lights.

But I really dislike the blue tinge of most LEDs. I miss the incandescent glow, especially in a model of an old car.

Skip to 1:40 to see the difference between standard white LEDs and "halogen-style" LEDs.

These should become more readily available from other sources (and cheaper!) soon.

waterclear 5mm LEDs that glow warm/yellow aren't too hard to source afaik

the 58132 body actually don't take LEDs natively, they're expecting the lightbulb set that debuted with the 959 (no idea what type of lightbulb that is, haven't found any equivalent)... think my non-standard bulbs were glued in with silicone or shoegoo.

has the PajMTW lightcups been modded for LEDs since? :huh:

On 30-3-2018 at 8:06 PM, WillyChang said:

has the PajMTW lightcups been modded for LEDs since? :huh:

Nope, but a 0.5mm spacer behind a Tamiya LED-stopper does the trick.

22a28Qg.jpg

meh gluing them in & sealing up all holes keeps the headlights dry/clean :P 

gee if T bothered updating the shell mold for those silly cuts, wish they'd have done MORE cutting :huh: like the front quarter lights, rear tail lights...