InsaneJim69

Kyosho Williams Renault Laguna 1998 Nescafe Blend 37 Bodyset

Here is my build thread for my latest project my 1998 Williams Renault Laguna BTCC Nescafe Blend 37 bodyset. I plan on making a few changes to what I did with my 1997 bodyset and learn from my mistakes.

So Mokei Kagaku was kind enough to send me a NIB bodyset, that had only been pre cut. Arrived safe and sound thanks to his great packaging skills. :)  I decided a while ago that I was going to paint all the black details on the body from the inside using my pot of rare PC5 Black polycarbonate paint. After alot of masking I had done a few bits but being honest the masking was taking alot longer than it would be by hand, so for the window surround I ended up just free handing the paint, and luckily it turned out ok. Unfortunately thats pretty much as far as I am atm, as I am waiting on a can of PS9 Green paint to arrive from Fusion Hobbies. :( , my easter weekend plan was to have the body at least painted and ready for decal application, but hey ho. Anyways, here is the progress so far .....

IMG_20180331_155446.jpg

IMG_20180331_174041.jpg

IMG_20180331_174049.jpg

IMG_20180331_174034.jpg

and how it will hopefully end up .......

lf16_r114_001_17.jpg

I plan on at least painting the yellow insert on the rear wing tomorrow and then back with silver. Also to make sure to leave that small outline for the green to cover round the edges. Fingers crossed.

S thats it so far, but hopefully update thick and fast as progress is made :)

Thanks,

James.

• Like 5

That is some superb window trim painting! I am also looking forward to seeing the rest of the shell done up :)

Agreed - looks fantastic so far, I wish I had steady hands to do that!

Is the rear spoiler lexan? Looks a bit over sized on Google.

The plastic version which came with the Tamiya HKS Opel looks the right shape and even has mirrors that could be made to work?

Part #9005468

Yeah the wing in standard trimmed form is huge. But I will do what I did with my 97 body and trim it slimmer so that it's more realistic. And the Kyosho body comes with mirrors and a wiper arm too all as standard.

James.

Well tonight I got the paint on the body . :) YAY !!!! finally, some Tamiya PS9 Green. Has turned out a really good match compared to the real car. (looks really dark, but its the poor lighting)

IMG_20180413_214847.jpg

IMG_20180413_214905.jpg

And paint masks removed and overspray film removed also :) , nice and shiny !!

IMG_20180413_220537.jpg

IMG_20180413_220524.jpg

And of course some decals added too :) 

IMG_20180413_230057.jpg

and a better pic of the colour held up at the light.

IMG_20180413_230139.jpg

and of course another real car reference.

renault_laguna_1998_images_3.jpg

So far so good. Was really hoping to get the wheels painted but somehow a set of 20 spoke ones turned up instead of the 15 spoke ones I ordered as per the real car. :(

Thanks

James.

• Like 5

Finally got some work done on my Laguna body build. Its been a while and taken far too long.

Got the wing painted yellow, took ages to mask the thin gren line around the wing as per the real car :( , but turned out not too bad. Also added the flourescent windscreen scuttle panel strip and matching pitstop tear off on the rear windows too. Also note the "Kyosho" decals in place of the "digital" ones (or late season "Compaq" ones on the real car) just a wee nod to them since it is a Kyosho body :)

IMG_20180504_070818.jpg

IMG_20180504_070857.jpg

IMG_20180504_070843.jpg

Gold 16 spoke Tamiya wheels have been ordered, I have given up on the 15 spoke ones that turned into 20 spoke ones when they arrived. So will give them a coat of metallic gold when they arrive. So that just leaves the rest of the famous "Nescafe Blend 37" decals to add (going to do them last once the body is mounted and wheels etc are fitted ;) and then finally at some point fit a cockpit set to this too.

Will hopefully get it finished this week :)

All comments, criticism welcome, good or bad.

Thanks, James.

• Like 5

Very nice. 

I particularly like the tear off pit stop indicator

• Like 1

Well the gold wheels arrived today. So will need to get them sprayed. But done a quick test fit to the chassis to make sure the stance is about right. 

Hopefully get more done tomorrow.

James.

IMG_20180504_184918.jpg

• Like 4

Some serious torque steer there😮

Can't beat RWD........well maybe some times!

• Like 1

Well today was a good day when it came to the Laguna. I got the Tamiya gold wheels painted (Tamiyas version of 'gold' is more like 'copper' imo) so they were sprayed using Ford Meteor Gold Metallic and then clear Lacquered (was really good paint to use, Halfords, and bone dry within a few hours). Also fitted around 90% of the decals. Upon starting to fit the 'Blend' logo on the rear doors it was apparent they were not sized correctly. So they along with the 'nescafe' for the rear quarters and also the 3 red 'carin' decals will need to be resized. But apart from that everything went to plan. 

I also managed to find a left hand drive touring car interior set where the driver sits back in the middle of the car (just like the real thing) so can't wait for that to arrive. 

Thanks, James.

IMG_20180511_061123.jpg

• Like 1

lovely.

a superb colour match on the body and the wheels

• Like 1

Finally got the other decals resized and printed and they arrived next day as well. So got them fitted on Saturday afternoon.

IMG_20180512_123738.jpg

Didn't like the glare from the sun, so took a shot indoors.

IMG_20180512_124110.jpg

The LHD touring car cockpit set arrived, so will get that painted up this week and fitted. But so far so good.

James.

• Like 4

it looks complete on the outside now - i really like it

who did the decals for you?

Great looking body! Can't wait to see it with the interior in it. Will you continue to add details, such as an exhaust, 3D bonnet pins etc.?

Thanks guys. :)

Won't be adding an exhaust as the real cars one is semi hidden and is also black so barely noticeable. Bonnet pins might be a good idea though. I do plan on adding some red towing eyes and possibly a home made roll cage too just to finish it off. 

James.

Got some half decent outside pics today after fitting the last 3 decals to the windscreen scuttle panel. Will hopefully get a small video of it up and running at the weekend, after all it is an R/C car and should be ran instead of sitting on a shelf. :)

IMG_20180516_172723.jpg

IMG_20180516_172715.jpg

IMG_20180516_172729.jpg

Thanks, 

James.

• Like 7

It looks so classy. Amazing livery, and amazing craftsmanship.

• Like 1

It keeps looking better and better. 

What is the single wiper off of?

• Like 1