Shodog

Shodog’s Rough Rider Runner

I’ve pimped this buggy several times on the forum but realized it didn’t have its own thread so I decided to create a one dedicated to it.

197DA27E-4C7B-4449-86AA-61EDE458BC90_zps

I built this Rough Rider back around 2002 This was long before Tamiya made the decision to kill the collector market and reissue the Sand Scorcher and Buggy Champ.  The Special Racing Buggy were enjoying an enormous popularity. Everybody was on the hunt for parts. Used mint parts were coveted. New in the bag parts commanded ridiculous prices. 

There were so few available parts to fix all the broken ones out there that Running one was almost unheard of.  In spite of all this I wanted a runner. Over time I bought several wrecks to just glean off a couple of mint examples. This left me with a lot of spares. I took my good usable stock parts along with some cool hop ups and put them all together to make this buggy.

519AD210-DEEA-499B-BC8B-C2EAB4D7143A_zps

9479C14C-A047-4735-BDCA-93F136AAA0C2_zps

6F6D8952-D919-45E9-81E3-0F8ADE79E303_zps

F3B843D4-57D2-4244-9888-D1827A505A91_zps

6EB0B81F-0A8B-46E1-9592-8FDB898F3DC5_zps

Back in 2003 I brought it to a photo shoot at Vasquez Rocks, CA. Where It graced the pages of of RC action magazine. 

CFC3F73E-5A23-4DA3-9B7D-DEBFB20EF2BE_zps

In 2007 I submitted it to R/C Car Action magazine and it was featured in their the readers rides section. 

720346BC-B2FD-422B-BFDE-B9F20F85EB82_zps

Over the years I've upgraded some of the running gear to a 2.4 ghz radio and 2 cell lipo shorty pack.

E8667FD2-BBA5-4D9C-8DEC-3BA0F94A4F6C_zps

The Novak Cyclone and Epic 17turn modified motor are more than enough to roast the transmission. 

B1C0E1FF-7C38-4A7E-AD40-EB1F07C6A66A_zps

Last outing wasn’t in the best the weather. Slight drizzle in the air and one ginormous wave mowed it over. Luckily I was able to run out in the surf and save it before being washed out to sea.

4862E320-904D-4CA2-B383-16C7E0ACBA6C_zps

In my haste to open up the radio box to dry the electronics I ended up breaking the lid and loosing a cam lock.  

E726429F-C748-4028-8D8A-DFFD24B4F8F8_zps

Tonight I was getting a couple of cars ready for a beach run tomorrow and this was one of them.  I Didn’t have a good usable radio box lid so I opted for a new Rere lid and cam lock.  

FD6E8FD0-E40A-4733-BE9E-29F3D3B491D8_zps

The body had a broken roof section for years  I kept gluing the brace in place but have since lost it.  I was able to find a mint used piece so I didn’t have to break open a new sprue.  Expect some new pics to populate this thread tomorrow  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shodog said:

Expect some new pics to populate this thread tomorrow  

I should hope so! It is a stunner :)

• Like 1

Looking great as always Shodog.

Does anyone have an idea of how to secure a pin in the camlocks? One of mine fell out on our last beach run, and I have a new piece cut, I just want to secure it so it doesn't slip out. Threadlock didn't work for me. Any ideas?

4 hours ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Does this have an aluminum chassis?

Yes, this has a vintage RCH aluminum chassis plate

674AECFA-197A-46D7-B1B7-2F764CBFBC11_zps

25 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Looking great as always Shodog.

Does anyone have an idea of how to secure a pin in the camlocks? One of mine fell out on our last beach run, and I have a new piece cut, I just want to secure it so it doesn't slip out. Threadlock didn't work for me. Any ideas?

You might be able to take some needle nose pliers and munch down on the pin in the center. This will knurl the pin slightly, maybe enough to keep it in the camlock

• Thanks 1

Easter Sunday The family took a ride over the hill to the beach where we found beautiful weather.  Brought my rough rider and Traxxas TRX4.  My son brought his Axial SCX2 but forgot his transmitter so it just stayed in the car.  the beach we went to is named Bean Hollow and it has some of the best rock formations for Crawling on.  I tried like heck to get some good shots of the cars.  The Rough Rider is just too fast and it's hard to get that great shot of the sand spitting off the paddles. 

E0B3C3BE-B279-42D4-B7AB-D9B06EA87030_zps

D6230C07-4EF0-4190-9A72-7038B0672F0C_zps

A60CC0A5-2D16-4FB2-B616-094B3FE2E54E_zps

863629D3-279E-4BA6-A03D-518084A5B35C_zps

• Like 4

Awesome photos!  My first RC was a hand me down Rough Rider, i wish I kept it.   What is your cleaning method for after the beach?  You say it got pummled by a wave, do you do anything to protect it from the salt water and sand?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

What is your cleaning method for after the beach?  You say it got pummled by a wave, do you do anything to protect it from the salt water and sand?

I built this buggy with marginal parts so I don't mind that all the steel bolts get rusted.  Before I put it back in the carrying case for the day I take a paint brush and get most of the sand off of it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wildwillhappy said:

Love the back paddle tyres what size are they and what wheels are they on?

wild

Rear tires are most likely shaved Ayk 566B tires. Right Shodog?

On 5/19/2018 at 2:20 PM, Mokei Kagaku said:

Rear tires are most likely shaved Ayk 566B tires. Right Shodog?

Yes, AYK with one paddle shaved alright ;)

Nice buggy! :)

Yup you guys called it.  AYK used them on their 566B. The wheels are made by Proline and have RCH aluminum wheel faces.  I bought them already modded with every third paddle shaved off.  The tire hooks up like crazy which has put a lot of stress on the transmission. The CRP brass gear in the photo above got so twisted it looks like a worm gear.  Check out this rooster tail. 

7DDBBCF7-03E5-46E9-91D4-E97F6475F7DD_zps

Yes, the AYK tires are extremely grippy. Not only because of their shape but also because of the soft type of rubber they're made of. I suppose the paddle removed only makes them grippier.

I like the 566B buggy a lot. I had a new set of AYK wheels & tires many years ago, but to this day I've never had the chance to buy an example of these fantastic buggies. I just know I'd love to.

Other than that, your custom Rough Rider looks so very nice! 

I was lucky enough to pick one up a few years ago.   Never ran it though so now clue how it would perform

image_zps2cc2af54.jpg

• Like 3