JeffSpicoli

The thing I hate most about the R/C hobby is.....

I don't have enough storage room or money to purchase every car I want.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Absolutely this - I recently discovered my Local Hobby Shop so try to go in there as frequently as possible. I'm hardly going to keep their business afloat with my modest RC budget but if I can buy sundry items from them then I will at every chance. I just got back today - needed masking tape and tyre glue.

What I hate most about the hobby is the people who take it too seriously. I appreciate at competition level this is important, but at club level I think it's sometimes not relaxed enough. If like-minded folks just want to get together for a laugh, why should politics get in the way of that? I wonder sometimes whether that has deterred more people from the hobby in the past.

You know what! That is exactly why I give up nitro buggy racing about 6ish years ago because at my local club (and still is my local and very well respected by top world racers) the members were just getting far to serious and the politics got very badly entwined and the final straw so to speak was when I bought a new servo for the steering on my mugen mbx6t so took it over the track for a bit of a test and told I couldn't go on the track because new BRCA rules state nobody can use the track 3 weeks before a major race because of unfair advantage etc........but I hadn't entered the up coming race:unsure:........it don't matter that's the new rules!  Nah not for me anymore and I get total better enjoyment with my tamiya collecting and occasionally bashing:) don't miss racing one bit!!!

• Like 1

The fact that I have nobody else around me that's into RC so it's a solo pursuit most of the time.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

The fact that I have nobody else around me that's into RC so it's a solo pursuit most of the time.

I don't have anyone else near me except for the new style people and I don't care about the new Traxxas, Losi, Associated, stuff. That's why I am on this forum. Great minds think alike.

4 hours ago, emspjay said:

I don't have anyone else near me except for the new style people and I don't care about the new Traxxas, Losi, Associated, stuff. That's why I am on this forum. Great minds think alike.

My wife pointed out a Meet Up at a nearby park in our Parks and Rec Summer Schedule.  I want to go, but I know its going to be full of Traxxasses...  I don't think any of them will understand the special magic that is a 35yo Tamiya buggy...

Terry

• Like 1

On touring cars: the spacers that go on suspension shaft, which determine wheelbase by moving arms forward and back. The inner one always slides off somehow before I can get the rear suspension holder on.. and if it stays, the dog bone end of cvd  comes out of the drive cup.. just writing this makes me frustrated lol.. as i had to fiddle with this yesterday 

What I hate most right now is that my workbench, where I cut all my custom parts, and my paint bench, where I do all my painting, are both covered with junk and almost inaccessible.  Every time I find a few spare mins to work on RC I have to move stuff around, which means I don't have any time left after moving to actually do the work.

The problem mostly occurred because we moved our studio/office into the workshop, taking up loads of space, and we're also doing work in the house, which means loads more stuff is stored in the workshop.  Space is at a premium but nobody wants to buy the stuff I'm trying to get rid of.  badword, nobody even wants to take it for free.  They say they want it, then don't show up.  TBH I'd rather stick it all in the landfill than wait in all afternoon for someone to not show up...  But that's a whole other story!

Anyhoo, I've had quite a bit of free time recently but have been forced to spend most of it tidying, organising and cataloguing so I can try to clear just a little bit of space on my workbench so I can start to get through some of these projects.  Before I know it the summer season will be in full swing, I'll be desperate to run all these cars and they'll all be sat in boxes waiting to get on the workbench...  I can't believe how many unpainted shells I have sitting around waiting to get paint.  Actually it's a really sunny day here today, if I'd thought about it yesterday I could have masked and prepped some bodies for painting outside :o 

Trying to work out when items will arrive in the post so that the wife doesn't see them. Never seems to work out !! Every darn time she gets the postie and its a case of "oh look, more car parts perhaps?" Its a never ending struggle. lol. , just glad she wasnt home today, as when I came down the stairs this morning behind the door looked like a drug smuggle run with all the brown packages. lol.

James.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, ncpantherfan71 said:

I hate it's not a hobby anymore.   No one wants kits, several don't want to repair their cars or take the time to learn.

Ready to runs hold little appeal for me. Building a kit is a big part of the fun.

• Like 2

I hate the way it’s grabbed me and given me a full blown addiction. I had forgotten all about them for the last 20 years, then 6 months ago I get back my old fox from dads and suddenly I’m telling myself “the power bill and car service can wait, I need that kit before it sells out!” 

• Like 4

Step screws. I wish you evil little menaces would stop backing out and hiding in the grass, making me go search for a dogbone and drivecup in the process!

Like many others here...painting. I find intricate lexan masking difficult with my big hands. Despite my best efforts, dust and garbage always makes its onto polystyrene hard bodies somewhere. Where as mechanics can be broken down and examined to the minutest detail and studied and worked with, painting cannot. Mechanics is a a hard reality and eventually problems can be worked out with persistence. Painting has a technical side too but there is some kind of MAGIC that must occur for the perfect paint job. Perhaps there are too many variables that can't be totally controlled or maybe I'm not magical enough all the time. ;)

• Like 2

1. Waiting for batteries to charge and then have to store them at the correct level. 

2.  Parts availability

3.  Too many bashers with no character and most drive like a pile of mashed potatoes. 

4. Lack of areas to run.

5.  Sticker sheets that look like there made for a kids lunchbox. 

6. Kits are harder to come by

7. Too many resources spent on the chassis design and not enough on wheels and tires. The foams and tire compound on some of the kits are a joke. 

Too many cars that I want, with an empty bank account:angry:

Its the lack of spare time to enjoy the hobby and to play.

Its easy to buy cars and parts and think that I’ll have the time to put them together, but the reality is far different! 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 6:49 AM, Kingfisher said:

The waiting period where you wait for parts to arrive. Everything takes weeks.

It's maddening. Getting a few hours to actually do something and then realising you haven't got the parts to finish, so you twiddle your thumbs and try to finds other jobs to do, which leads to ordering other supplies you need and then waiting for those. It's a vicious circle.

• Thanks 1