Sign in to follow this  
Ronnyhotdog

How to resolve/repair this paint issue

fHv6YAw.jpgV3wuEqx.jpg

The spots, not the terrible paint finish. On the third light coat these splotches appeared and ruined the job. the first two coats looked fine, but I think as the can was emptying it started spitting instead of misting the paint. Also some little black flecks started appearing. Is this normal when  can is nearly empty?

Rattlecans can start spitting towards the end when their pressure gets low (so warm them up!) but mine makes bigger splotches than that. Definitely no black bits.

Be wary of contaminants from hairspray, deodorant or any silicone product (cleaners, polishes, lubricants) - they cause fisheye spotting. Just being downwind from the exhaust duct of fish&chip shop can be enough to kill a paint job.

• Thanks 1

What's the intended finish... matte camo? 

If it really bothers you hit it with some flat or satin clearcoat.

Sand the blotches off with really fine grit 1200 or above, and coat with lacquer of choice, flat or shiny.

Or coat with more colour if you have it, but you should still try to gently remove the blotches or they will show through. 

@Shodog has done a paint tutorial.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

@Shodog has done a paint tutorial.

Not sure where it went. The link has been dead for a while now

9 hours ago, Ronnyhotdog said:

Yes, It's an external paint job if that wasn't clear. I mean the splotches, though.

so that's PS(coloured) you've painted on the outside? that's splotched?

you can overcoat with any flat clear TS or PS

imho I can't sand back anything that's meant to be textured, it'll never be possible to recreate the rough surface with sanding. Just overpaint :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

so that's PS(coloured) you've painted on the outside? that's splotched?

you can overcoat with any flat clear TS or PS

imho I can't sand back anything that's meant to be textured, it'll never be possible to recreate the rough surface with sanding. Just overpaint :) 

The coat underneath was PS then I used an acrylic spray on top

I had a can of PS paint (champagne gold anodized aluminum), when it was nearly empty, it made black specks very similar to what your pictures show. I painted in an environment where dirt and dust wouldn't be an issue, so I was baffled as to how it happened. So many things went through my head trying to figure it out. "Maybe there's a spider up there throwing dirt down", "Maybe, I walked by too close and my shoes had dirt that was stuck on, and the paint can blew it into the paint". Now that I see your pics, I am betting it came from the paint can. I was painting the inside of the shell and the first few coats were already down. Once the paint dried, I was able to wipe off the black specks and continue painting. 

Is that a lexan body that you painted on the outside or a styrene hard body?

the orange peel comes from spraying too far away. The paint partially dries before adhering to the surface.  

Splotchy paint comesfrom it not it not being mixed well.  Before spraying warm the paint and shake the can like crazy. 

If it was my project I’d wet sand that paint with 1500 grit to Get it smooth. Get a new can of paint and spray multiple light coats of paint at a closer distance. The warm paint with spray nice and evenly. 

The other option is to give it a light sand, mask up the bonnet (the hood) and spray it flat or satin black to make it appear to be either anti glare or a replacement panel...