Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Better value polycarbonate paint than Tamiya?

Got a couple of lexan shells to paint coming up i want to do in neon orange and a couple of other colours. Based on the tiny can and abismal coverage plus backing coat i needed on my Terra Conqueror in the summer, i was wondering if any other lexan paints are up to scratch? Coming off 500ml car paint cans for 7 quid for my ABS bodies, i am staring down a £50 paint bill for PS paints and its not even that fancy a paint job.

Any other better value paint worth a go? Runners not shelf queens so doesn't have to concours.

Have you had a look on Schumacher? They have some Core paints. Good choice of colours and cheaper than Tamiya. 

Its where the girls have chosen their colours from as some choices not covered by Tamiya. 

No idea on quality as haven’t got or used yet.

http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/category/Product_Category/subcategory/Bodyshells/templateid/12/searchbox7/Paint.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used the Core lexan paints and the delivery is not up to the Tamiya standard. No idea why but it will require more paint to get the same coverage. It will do the job, but you can definitely tell the difference when sprainting. The final product will be the same for internal coverage, but I have to say there was more spitting and splotches than the Tamiya cans. I guess the R&D Tamiya do is what you pay for. Core cans are cheaper for more paint, but then you do need the extra, I guess. That was just my experience, though. I bought several cans and will still use them on internal jobs but not externally as a final coat as the finish is not as good as Tamiya.

• Thanks 1

I really like the Parma Faskolor paints, but you need to either brush or airbrush them on. But they're so nice to work with, easy to mix special colors if you want, soap & water cleanup, and a good tough finish. I think they're basically just artist's acrylics; Liquitex goes on just about exactly the same, and even smells the same, so I've been experimenting with that.

For spray cans, I loved the Pactra paints, but alas they are gone. I've tried a couple Krylon/Rustoleum type spray cans "made for plastic" with varying results: the forest green worked pretty well, but the silver flaked off. I have only ever used actual Tamiya PS cans when I wanted to perfectly match a racing livery, otherwise they're too expensive for too little, as you have found.

• Thanks 1

Pactra paints were brought back under the Duratrax brand a year or two ago.  The spray cans had about 50% more paint in them than the Tamiya cans.  Not sure what will happen to the paint line after Horizon buys Hobbico.

Former TC member Yello recommended vinyl & fabric paint from the local auto parts store a few years ago.  The color choices are limited, but one spray can could probably do 3-4 shells easily.  I've tried the gray and black colors, and they've held up very well.  No problems with flaking, cracking, etc.  "Desert Sand" would be a good color for military vehicles.

I have a few Faskolor colors, so I would love to hear more about experiences with Liquitex.

One of the ingredients in most polycarbonate paints and even the vinyl/fabric paints is MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).  I'm curious if mixing a little with any paint would cause it to etch into the polycarbonate...

• Thanks 1

I thought MEK was used to clean airbrush/paintguns? good for dried paint etc it's plenty aggressive

Solvent welds many plastics incl Perspex 

recently saw it sold at a train diorama supply store... supposedly you cover your landscape with sheet styrene then mist MEK over it all to make it tacky then sprinkle your sand/fakegrass etc texture material into the gooey mess.

i too used to think PS rattlecans etched into the lexan to stick better. But since the arrival of "purple bottle" cleaner that PS can be removed entirely and the lexan hasn't gone cloudy, so the etching is a myth 

• Like 1

I’ve just bought a few Core RC cans as they come in 150ml cans and I often have some left over once finished a 1/10 TC shell and can use it for another part of a shell that has a multicolour paint job.

I’ve not had a problem with them before and just like the fact I know I’m never going to run out of paint before I’ve got enough coverage.... I always feel edgy using Tamiya cans but saying that have never really fallen foul of running out before finished but came close a coupe times.

To save a bit of money long term you can buy the Tamiya for the main colour then buy some Core RC for backing colours as they have more paint so could do more shells.

My Core RC paints came from Modelsport at £4.49 a can

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9950&SubCategoryID=995025&ManufacturerID=1140&CategoryID=9950

One piece of advice, never buy old stock cans from a LHS... I bought 4 for a tenner and they were all past their best with spitting and running out of pressure not even half way through.. nearly ruined some £30 shells 

• Thanks 1

How are you all running out of Tamiya paint before you have enough to finish? I've found that one can is enough to give 3 even coats per car body. Are you holding the can too close and putting it down too thick?

22 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Cheers for the feedback. Ordered some neon carrot core rc with white to back it.

Nice. 

5 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

How are you all running out of Tamiya paint before you have enough to finish? I've found that one can is enough to give 3 even coats per car body. Are you holding the can too close and putting it down too thick?

I appear to have plenty left however for me I find Tamiya’s colours rather muted. The bright Core colours certainly appealed to my girls more. We just need to decided what we are doing now otherwise if they get their own way it’ll be every colour in the range!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

We just need to decided what we are doing now otherwise if they get their own way it’ll be every colour in the range!

My girlfriend is working her way through the Tamiya PS colors. She's determined to try every color. Currently, we have 14 cans waiting to be used. :lol: Every time I order something, she says "oh, can you get some tamiya paint? I know which color this time".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

My girlfriend is working her way through the Tamiya PS colors. She's determined to try every color. Currently, we have 14 cans waiting to be used. :lol: Every time I order something, she says "oh, can you get some tamiya paint? I know which color this time".

Good excuse to keep buying cars/shells!

“Ive seen this colour you will love, so I just bought this kit for you to use it on!”

• Haha 1

I always seem to end up painting in the wind (not on purpose) so most of the paint wanders off into the ether! Atleast I have more paint in the Core cans.... speaking of which, these just arrived.

BtmNB0j.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Nice. 

I appear to have plenty left however for me I find Tamiya’s colours rather muted. The bright Core colours certainly appealed to my girls more. We just need to decided what we are doing now otherwise if they get their own way it’ll be every colour in the range!

This is based on a sample of one. The only lexan shell i have painted recently is my terra conqueror in the summer. The neon orange on half the shell took nearly the whole can to look even vaguely opaque, than a whole tin of white to back it/do the rest of the shell/wing. I think my issue is that i like bright oranges and such and they don't cover well, then need a lot of backing. I thought the neon orange was properly loud, but my next shell is all orange so figured i woukd probably need 2 tins for that plus white for backing and black for the window. Lots of paint. 

30 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

This is based on a sample of one. The only lexan shell i have painted recently is my terra conqueror in the summer. The neon orange on half the shell took nearly the whole can to look even vaguely opaque, than a whole tin of white to back it/do the rest of the shell/wing. I think my issue is that i like bright oranges and such and they don't cover well, then need a lot of backing. I thought the neon orange was properly loud, but my next shell is all orange so figured i woukd probably need 2 tins for that plus white for backing and black for the window. Lots of paint. 

I’m with you on the bright orange...

Orange Clockwork 29erMK2.5 Ford Focus ST225

😁 Bikes long gone now mind but the car remains...draining my funds!

What shell are you doing or is it a watch this space job?! 

Can see the girls new shell taking a load of paint, but only because they’ve picked about 6 colours they like and want all of them!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Can see the girls new shell taking a load of paint, but only because they’ve picked about 6 colours they like and want all of them!

I have been sooooo tempted by an ST. I am a big fast Ford fan. Got Transit through work now but my last car was a mk3 Mondeo V6 Titanium X Sport. Basically an ST220 in all but name. That cost me a fortune to run too!

The shell is a TBG Thunder Dragon to replace my ratty original. Finally decided to go non-box art after having it about a year. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have been sooooo tempted by an ST. I am a big fast Ford fan. Got Transit through work now but my last car was a mk3 Mondeo V6 Titanium X Sport. Basically an ST220 in all but name. That cost me a fortune to run too!

The shell is a TBG Thunder Dragon to replace my ratty original. Finally decided to go non-box art after having it about a year. 

Great car. Plenty of character and the sound is fantastic. Test drove a mk3 too. More modern inside but just didn’t have the same emotion. Felt too normal.

Capable family car too, in 5dr at least. Swallows the 5 of us easily enough with two kids still on booster seats. 

Sadly attracts attention from boy racers in that colour though but then I could never have chosen any else!

Very nearly ended up with an ST220 a few years back. Still wish I had gone for it. 

Look forward to seeing the shell and how you get on with the Core paints. 

• Like 1

Lovely car Manic, and for reference on the Core RC paints I’ll soon post up the Spearmint Green paint job I just finished backed with white.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Lovely car Manic, and for reference on the Core RC paints I’ll soon post up the Spearmint Green paint job I just finished backed with white.

Cheers Jason. 

Look forward to seeing the finish and your opinion on the paint. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

I had a 58 plate in grey.........loved it:wub: and I know totally what ya mean about fund draining around town I was getting around 19mpg and it had to go about 2 years ago coz it just wasn't viable on my long working commute! it wasn't shy visiting petrol stations  how I have a 64 plate "evil" diesel S which is still pretty quick and 70+ mpg but still has the ST look about it:)

• Like 3

Other than PC or Fascolor I just stick with PS 'cos it works. Although price here is A$12-15ea these days which is kinda crazy, that's cost of a nice meal for lunch :unsure:

Then again if one is particularly parsimonious (not shelfqueen shells), it's possible to stretch it quite far :) 

1can Orange 5 half shells!

rUvRS2l.jpg

AsvlHJk.jpg

Filled in & backed with 1can White

Quick squirt of gunmetal for window frames

Quick squirt of black on rear wing

Mist coat of Smoke

7XwIygl.jpg

Stickered, Done! :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moffman said:

I had a 58 plate in grey.........loved it:wub: and I know totally what ya mean about fund draining around town I was getting around 19mpg and it had to go about 2 years ago coz it just wasn't viable on my long working commute! it wasn't shy visiting petrol stations  how I have a 64 plate "evil" diesel S which is still pretty quick and 70+ mpg but still has the ST look about it:)

Yep. I love this car. It was an itch I had to scratch thing and glad I did.

For me however the fuel costs are somewhat of a moot point. Yes it’s high but then I do maybe 4000miles a year so I deal with it!

Averaging 18 at the minute 😳 

3 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Cheers Jason. 

Look forward to seeing the finish and your opinion on the paint. 

Well this is a teaser as it's not finished yet.... this shell got 4 good coats on it out in the wind and also did a rear wing (not shown) -  I have 1/4 can left to use elsewhere if I can find the right scheme.

Quality wise I can't really tell much difference between these and Tamiya PS paints, I wuold edge Tamiya as the better as the finish on the inside of the shell is often smoother.... but I rarely look inside the shell, so I will mix and match according to bargains I find, how flush I am and what colour grabs my eye on a given purchase day ;p

RjqSAjE.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, Jason1145 said:

Well this is a teaser as it's not finished yet.... tis shell got 4 good coats on it out in the wind and also did a rear wing (not shown) -  I have 1/4 can left to use elsewhere if I can find the right scheme.

Quality wise I can't really tell much difference between these and Tamiya PS paints, I wold edge Tamiya as the better as the finis on the inside of the shell is often smoother.... but I rarely look inside the shell, so I will mix and match according to bargains I find, how flush I am and what colour grabs my eye on a given purchase day ;p

RjqSAjE.jpg

Looks good and as long as it looks good from the outside like you suggest it doesn’t matter if it’s not as smooth inside. At least not to me!

I too will be buying on colour, it’s just this time the girls are choosing and Core have what they want. Good to know they are fine. 

• Like 1