speedy_w_beans

What Are Your Themes When Collecting?

For me it's only m chassis and ta chassis. Loads of variations in chassis design and bodies. I have at least one of each up to the M06 and TA06. It' the 7's next. 

Just finished this. 

20180214_151451.jpg

9 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

For me it's only m chassis and ta chassis. Loads of variations in chassis design and bodies. I have at least one of each up to the M06 and TA06. It' the 7's next. 

Having just got a TA07 I can see the attraction of the TA series, I would like the 3 - 6 now.  What about the TB cars?  They are really the successor to the TA01/2 right?  And the new TB05 looks amazing!  (trying to work out how to add a TB05 when there is no realistic way I can do it)

I seem to go in waves. At first it was just a matter of whatever looked interesting that I didn't have.  At one point the Grasshopper/Hornet chassis became really cheap here in the states and I was able to find them on Ebay and sites like Craigslist for under $20 sometimes even running so I ended up with about 12 of them.  Figured since I had those I might as well get the GH2 and Super Hornet and throw in a couple of Super G's for good measure. 

Next came my obsession with the ORV chassis so I ended up with the Frog, Brat, Blackfoots, MB etc.  Still looking for a nice Bush Devil but so far no luck. 

At this point I'm focusing on Hard Bodies. I have a pretty extensive collection of them already but my goal is to obviously have them all :)

• Like 1

For me it has to be completely Tamiya components including hop ups and the bodies have to have box art motorsport liveries only.

Sven

Mainly going for 4wd buggies. At the moment trying to complete the Optima Mid series.

Hmm, i guess my theme would be the Avante and Top-Force family.  I have decided to keep my focus on Avante and Top-Force and try to get hold on special parts and build special editions of the models. For all my favorite cars I try to have the nib, shelf queen and a runner, and I’m trying to make a black special for each of these models. Also I do mostly have buggies.

Hopefully I will get back into the hobby again soon, and not just buying stuff but also building and customizing. Moving house for the second time in 1 1/2 year, don’t give much room for RC. 

• Like 1

My  theme ? 

Oh that's right , Mine is I WANT THAT THEME & that & i woud like that or may be two , " etc " "etc " .

:D Simple really .  

Interesting question, and one I asked myself a few years ago when I looked at my shelves and realised I had almost no theme :D

When I got back into the hobby around 13 years ago, I started with a 4wd buggy (DF03).  I'd always wanted one as a kid but never had one.  That ignited a passion for more, so I sort of wanted one of all the common types: 4wd buggy, 2wd buggy, 4wd monster truck, 2wd monster truck, 4wd touring car.  After setting on that path I found there was a lot more to Tamiya's collection and I could indulge my hoarding instincts by collecting anything and everything that came up, often by convincing myself that it was 'better' than what I already had.

At one point I met some fellow TCers for a bash and got talking about making an RC movie.  Being a writer, I immediately set about writing a script about some street racers getting caught up in a heist (this was in the height of F&F fever).  I realised we were woefully short of hero cars for the movie, so I set about listing all the cool street cars I could build and started adding them to my collection.  Unfortunately my painting skills didn't lend themselves to F&F-style graphics so the results were a bid lack-lustre.

Around that time the scale offroad craze was getting underway too.  I figured I had to get in on that, so I bought a TLT to turn into a scale truck.  That was back when the TLT was still a current model and the Stampede transmission was the gearbox of choice for scaler builds.  I still haven't finished it.  The axles, transmission, body and chassis have each been used in various different models since then but the actual TLT/Pede combo has never been finished.  Once I got as far as strapping in a battery, clipping on a body and driving it around my lounge before I realised it needed more work.  That was about 10 years ago.

So I ended up collecting all sorts of everything without any real aim.  Some stuff I'd buy on a whim and love to bits, other stuff I would get bored with or sell on fairly quick.  My shelves were completely random, with no real direction.

A couple of years ago I got frustrated; last year I organised my entire fleet into what I call Collections.  I've documented this elsewhere recently but basically, a collection is any group of cars that have something in common (all Japanese street cars, all black, all Nissans, all 4wd buggies, all vintage buggies, all VWs, all painted in my race livery, etc...)  A car can be in multiple collections.  I rotate my collections once per month, so I get to have different cars on my limited shelf space.  It helps me feel that I have a more coherent fleet and I enjoy owning cars a lot more now.

I've tried to get the ones which were totally out of reach when I was a kid, whilst trying to have in my mind the best representative of any given family of cars. Super Hotshot, Avante, CAT XLS, Hornet, Lunchbox.. Etc. Newest one being a Dancing Rider, it's genius - 3 wheels, Willy at the helm and the ability to right itself!.... I'm thinking a Wild One next and then the Egress for its August release (if I'm correct)... 

I've never really been much of a theme guy, I simply buy whatever turns my crank at the moment, they pretty much are all runners too.

Bwsu9Oph.jpg

UGiOtgkh.jpg

tsk7t7Mh.jpg

• Like 2

See shiny thing, want shiny thing, hopefully get shiny thing.   Mmmmmm shiny thing :D   

• Haha 2

On ‎17‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 3:47 PM, racer1 said:

Next came my obsession with the ORV chassis so I ended up with the Frog, Brat, Blackfoots, MB etc.  Still looking for a nice Bush Devil but so far no luck. 

I have a Bush Devil for sale. Most plastic parts are brand new except frame, gears and wheels, which are in very good condition, but used. Body is in good condition, but needs to be stripped. The (applied) stickers are in good condition and I believe they are complete. New and unused original additional "devil" Stickers included. The model is box stock, and of course complete except for the MSC.

I have a couple of themes going on. The two main ones however are:

Toyota's!:lol: I don't think I have more than 5 nice bodyshells that are not a Toyota (or Lexus/Scion). I currently have a Mazda RX7 FC as my main RC drift car and it feels very weird after having driven Toyota's for at least 8 or 9 years.

Alternative colour Tamiya. I have a thing for oddball cars. Boxart was never my thing, and neither was building chassis according to the suggested hopups in the manual. At the moment I have a clear plastic M03 and TL01 (still need the TA03), an all white DF03, Lunchbox and TT02, a moss green M01, a TBevo3 Surikarn (red instead of blue) and a bunch of white or neon coloured TA01/2/FF01 parts bolted onto my cars. I an also slowly hoarding more parts for feature projects, such as the purple Jun Watanabe Hornet parts, a white WR02, smoked clear GF01, blue TT02, green TBevo4, smoked clear DF03, clear blue TA05 and many more.

• Like 1