Any commercially available sealed gear diffs for WR02? 

Any that will fit, with or without modification?

Anyone try sealing a stock one with gasket sealer or anything?

(I started a couple of these as an experiment, project interrupted- will share results)

How about a real spool? (not locked)

Thanks in advance

would've thought CC01 style locker insert should work, if you wanted something cheap (minimal new purchase) & reversible

_vyrp11_28IMG_8193a--Large.jpg

Or use diff putty or shoegoo to do same for a more messy/permanent job :) 

Havent heard any 3rd party making that size/style gear diff yet. Usual suspects are Active Hobby & SpecR, they concentrate more on what racers want though.

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

would've thought CC01 style locker insert should work, if you wanted something cheap (minimal new purchase) & reversible

It fits unless Tamiya has made some changes to the WR-02 diff in recent years that I haven't noticed. I locked both diffs in my Wild Dagger using the CC01 locker in the late nineties, but haven't done it since. So although I've built many WR02 diffs since then, I've never cared to check if the locker still fits, but I can't imagine it won't.

As for aftermarket sealed diff, I'm fanatic for WR-02 and GF-01 (compatible) parts and like Willy, I've never seen any gear related parts except the High Speed Gear Set from Square.

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

As for aftermarket sealed diff, I'm fanatic for WR-02 and GF-01 (compatible) parts and like Willy, I've never seen any gear related parts except the High Speed Gear Set from Square.

Ya same here! I've been holding off on the G6-01 to look for a spool (centre) and diffs with thick oil (front & rear) before I bother building it. Or balldiff.

Was even dreaming of perhaps making a bigger gear for a balldiff, bought some 3Racing M03 balldiffs to measure but it looks like there's extra width between outdrives that also needs figuring out. 

19 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Was even dreaming of perhaps making a bigger gear for a balldiff,

I have thought of placing a TA03 or DF01 balldiff inside the WR-02 diffgear, but never tried. Would of course require some modifications to the WR-02 diffgear, but doesn't seem infeasible to me.

5 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

I have thought of placing a TA03 or DF01 balldiff inside the WR-02 diffgear, but never tried. Would of course require some modifications to the WR-02 diffgear, but doesn't seem infeasible to me.

I was thinking of either making a new larger balldiff gear, or if it's easier make a adaptor donut/ring gear with teeth on both inside (size of balldiff gear) and outside (size of WR02 gear that we need). 

Also waiting for arrival of some HSP diffs to see if it's easier to put a shaftdrive/bevelgear type diff in that donut adaptor instead. 

Trouble is there's 1150 bearings (limits diff choice, most use 1510) & they're wider apart than TA03 diff can span afaik... haven't quite fathomed how to adapt that :) wondering if I use TA03 gear diff outdrives into the TA03 balldiff can gain the extra width.

I have some ridiculously heavy silicone material in my GF01's. Made/sold by Gravity RC. Work really well. No mess. No leaks. It acts like a viscous LSD.

21 minutes ago, 808da6 said:

I have some ridiculously heavy silicone material in my GF01's. Made/sold by Gravity RC. Work really well. No mess. No leaks. It acts like a viscous LSD.

No you've just made a gunked Zero Slip Diff :lol:

LSD acts "open" at small actions but stiffens up towards "locked" at bigger actions.

A balldiff is different again, by design from the view of input shaft there's less leverage between left & right axles that drive can be lost to. It's not really designed to be "limited slip" via friction.

Postie brought HSP diffs today. Sadly they need 1510 at outdrives. Hunt continues.

Diff putty is what you need. You can vary the LSD effect massively by the amount you put in. I put just below the recommended amount in my thunder shots front diff & is will still move quite easily. I packed the diffs in the G6-01, that is bending & now snapping drive shafts the diffs are so tight!

There are links to the difference kinds of putty half way through this thread:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84553-silicone-diff-oil/&tab=comments#comment-692177

(Don’t be fooled by the title silicone oil won’t work!) 

Edit: I should add I put the recommended amount of 45 hardness ride putty in my Blackfoot xtream & that is about perfect for an LSD effect. 

The 45 hardness diff putty works very well, but you need to be careful not to overdo it, or you’ll just lock it. 

Its not a lsd, but more precisely you can control the level of friction inside the diff. It’s very sticky stuff. It’s not really easily reversable but you can take some putty out if it’s too stiff.  It does free up after a little use as well so keep that in mind.  With a little fiddling you’ve got a lot more adjustability with the right putty than you’ll ever have with a sealed diff and silicon. No leaks either. 

Cheers

Juls

Thanks for the responses.

Surprised there isn't a spool, especially with the GF01 popularity as a cute crawler.

Lockers are fine but I prefer the dedicated spool for mechanical simplicity/ slop/ rotating mass (I know its low performance but, well you get it)

Putty = leak free is something worth considering. Would still like it sealed though- I mean why not.

Ball diff isn't what I want, but there seems to be demand for it- surprised there aren't some on the market.

Guys, I think the 53200 one way roller will fit quite easily in these, which would be potentially suitable for the 4wd and 6wd chassis:

Here's how I fitted in my thundershot which uses the same diff guts, so it should be compatible with the other diff housings with little or no modification:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/86362-thundershot-fitted-with-53200-one-way-unit/