Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

TB05 Announced

Saw this earlier.

Never owned a TB chassis but always fascinated by the engineering. I look forward to seeing the manual - @Mokei Kagaku will probably be all over it!

Very interesting.  I'm guessing it'll be a plastic version of the TB EVO 7 which eliminates the center gearbox from the EVO 6 / TB04.  Basically, going back to TB03 / TB03VDS roots...

RCTech have a little thread and some blurry pictures.  It looks like a TA07 style chassis which makes sense I guess since thats Tamiya's latest plastic TC

I'll be a little disappointed if the chassis has those elevated stiffening rails like the TA07 and M07 Concept.  It's not a question of function; I'm sure the car will drive very well.  I just like the look of a low-slung plastic tub, or a conventional dual-deck design.

Edit:  Just saw the grainy rendering pics.  Basically a cross between a TA07 space frame and a TB EVO 7 with multiple motor location options.

• Like 2

Official info from tamiya.com:

58658 1/10 R/C TB-05 PRO Chassis Kit
This assembly kit creates an efficient shaft-driven 4WD chassis. Its composite structure with integrated lower deck and side frame sections facilitates a largely symmetrical design for balanced steering. Choose between 2 layouts, with a front motor position for superb stability, or a rear motor for dynamic drive. Steering linkage components are bulkhead-mounted to eliminate effect upon chassis roll. With full ball bearings, universal shafts and gear differential units, the drivetrain is as smooth as silk.

tamiya-58658.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Saw this earlier.

Never owned a TB chassis but always fascinated by the engineering. I look forward to seeing the manual - @Mokei Kagaku will probably be all over it!

OK, I admit it! Whereas I ignore all manuals for new mobile phones, fridges and whatever gadget I buy, although I should study them carefully, I admit having a strong addiction to and passion for Tamiya manuals. OK OK, it's a fetish! :blink:

This means that you sometimes have to endure lenghty and boring posts like the one I wrote recently, comparing the Manta Ray 2005 and 2018. On the other side, my mental issue offers you a benefit! You can exploit me! And it's easy and profitable:

I desperately need the manual for the Tamiya 58033 Ford C100 RM Mk. IV. And I don't mean need as in "nice to have". I need it to breath properly and get rid of the blue skin colour I've had since the 58033 manual suddenly was the only manual I don't have, except for some 2017/2018 releases. A fellow TC member sold me his 58031 manual a couple of years ago, making 58033 the only one missing in my "collection". So you can surely appreciate how desperate I am.

I'm prepared to pay a premium for it and you don't even have to worry about getting a bad conscience for exploiting me. Embracing the 58033 manual will create a permanent silly grin in my already stupid, but innocent little face. :wub::wub::wub::wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Truck Norris said:

Official info from tamiya.com:

58658 1/10 R/C TB-05 PRO Chassis Kit
This assembly kit creates an efficient shaft-driven 4WD chassis. Its composite structure with integrated lower deck and side frame sections facilitates a largely symmetrical design for balanced steering. Choose between 2 layouts, with a front motor position for superb stability, or a rear motor for dynamic drive. Steering linkage components are bulkhead-mounted to eliminate effect upon chassis roll. With full ball bearings, universal shafts and gear differential units, the drivetrain is as smooth as silk.

tamiya-58658.jpg

Thanks for sharing, I'm liking the look of this one. I saw the RRP was 29800yen or something, so a pretty reasonable price for what you're getting, it looks to me like a competitiveclub racer

Looks like a shafted TA-07. I wonder how many parts they share? Probably most if not all of the suspension components are common. 

That looks cool. Interesting forward facing motor position!! Wander if that will help torque steer during hard acceleration. Thumbs up from me !!

James.

47377 TB-05 PRO Titanium Screw Set
54800 TB-05 Aluminum Servo Mount
54801 TB-05 Aluminum Steering Arms
54802 TB-05 Aluminum Steering Bridge

One thing I noticed from the photo is the battery connector. It looks like Deans, is that right? Have Tamiya switched to Deans in their high-end ESCs? (or maybe they have for ages, I don't follow those kits at all!)

37 minutes ago, dc-arena said:

One thing I noticed from the photo is the battery connector. It looks like Deans, is that right? Have Tamiya switched to Deans in their high-end ESCs? (or maybe they have for ages, I don't follow those kits at all!)

their LF battery comes with "high current connectors"... let's just call 'em "Dean-san" :lol:

13 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

their LF battery comes with "high current connectors"... let's just call 'em "Dean-san" :lol:

:D

On 4/11/2018 at 12:20 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

Basically, going back to TB03 / TB03VDS roots...

I'm just curios if a TB03VDS can be converted to a racing car...  Maybe with lttle mod like Gears diff on rear, direct on front, limited angle of steering... some fixs here and there...

1 hour ago, vodka said:

I'm just curios if a TB03VDS can be converted to a racing car...  Maybe with lttle mod like Gears diff on rear, direct on front, limited angle of steering... some fixs here and there...

So the answer should be 'yes.'  Tamiya released an Ackerman steering set for the TB03VDS so it would have the steering characteristics of a regular touring car instead of the characteristics of a drift chassis.   Also, the gearbox casings for the front and rear diffs have not changed since the TB03.  In theory you can drop in TB03 ball diffs/spools/one-ways, or TB04/05 gear diffs/spools/one-ways.  If you put a TB04 gear diff in a TB03 setup, then I think the pilot shaft needs to be modified slightly so it doesn't strike the gear diff casing.  There is a gearing difference - 39T ring gears on he TB03, 40T ring gears on the TB04/05.  So you want to make sure the gearing is the same both front and rear for a touring application (typically).

I have no idea how well a VDS might perform in a racing environment.  The lower CF chassis plate is only stiffened with a center aluminum spine; there isn't a top deck nor are there any side stiffening ridges.  It might have a lot of twist.

The other thing to consider is the stock TB03/04/05 kits are somewhat limited in their pinion/spur gearing options; some racers have overcome his by switching to 64dp pinions and spurs.  This lets you get to lower FDRs like 3:1 or 3.5:1 for 17.5T or 21.5T motors.

Is very similar to evo7 design, unfortunately is still to pricey to give a try.

Sorry, still in my queue.

10 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

anyone build a tb05?

11 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

anyone build a tb05?

Check out rctech.net if you want to see more, there is a pretty big thread on it with a lot of people racing them

• Thanks 1