Sign in to follow this  
Jason1145

Body post hole protector - lexan disks

Have Traxxas stopped making these, I am sure I used them in the past but I can't find them now, white shaped disks about 2.5cm wide and 2-3mm think.. I know I can make my own from lexan body offcuts but just incase I'm feeling lazy... any other ready made ones to buy?

I just use corn plasters from the local pound shop. They're about the right size, padded and you get loads of them in a packet so they're great value for money. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I just use corn plasters from the local pound shop. They're about the right size, padded and you get loads of them in a packet so they're great value for money. 

That's a brilliant solution!  

• Confused 1

I bought a roll of Tamiya 53469 protection film a while back - just cut some small squares off around 2 - 3cm square and make a hole in the middle for the body post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyForbes said:

Are you talking about Body Washers that go on the inside of the shell? If so, I've used these in the past on a few bodies and have been happy with them.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-foam-body-protectors-10-/rc-car-products/11657

Tamiya have also started to do their own version too;

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/54785/index.htm

Cheers mate yes I got those first ones but they are more for stopping body rattle, the lexan disks are for strength more.

I like the Tamiya ones but not the price for what they are and only 8 of them 

3 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I just had to Google what corn plasters where.... gulp I’m gonna be sick lol!! How can you out those medicinal fungal fighting thingies near your lovely Tamiya?!?! You’re sick!

That aside, are they strong?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

I bought a roll of Tamiya 53469 protection film a while back - just cut some small squares off around 2 - 3cm square and make a hole in the middle for the body post.

Another option, I saw this when Googling the Tamiya body post hole protectors too.

But.... but.... I really want the lexan disks, I found an old one just now it’s anout 23-24mm wide lovely tough lexan... anyone else?

Something just arrived in the post...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Self-Adhesive-Lightweight-Body-Post-Hole-Protectors-1-12-1-10-Tamiya-Xray/112564884474?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=412966760806&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&redirect=mobile

These are ok for now... very thin I have laid 3 of them over eachother to get some thickness ( 1-2mm by the feel of it) and they seem strong... but they can be ripped ( one of) by hand... layering must build strength.

Is it possible that when cutting out wheelarches, can you save the spares to make washers?

My only Lexington trimming experience so far relates to my Kamtec Bowler which has (to me) pretty thick Lexan, maybe too thick for this purpose as it isn’t that flexible?

Of course, you would then need an adhesive...

4 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Is it possible that when cutting out wheelarches, can you save the spares to make washers?

My only Lexington trimming experience so far relates to my Kamtec Bowler which has (to me) pretty thick Lexan, maybe too thick for this purpose as it isn’t that flexible?

Of course, you would then need an adhesive...

Yes that’s an option and I could use ShoeGoo to fix them in place, but I’m rubbish at free hand cutting and they are hard to hold still to make holes in the middle.... excuses excuses I know... I could make a template.. I could hold them in a vice while I drilled Centre holes... I could also build a space shuttle and visit the moon but I’m too lazy lol ;) 

I’ve also got a number of shells Id like to fix with these so it would be too many to make.

13 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Just read some reviews and watched a couple YouTube vids.. impressive but they mainly use for light cutting, paper and materials.. I think thick Lexan might blunt the blades quickly and you have to get the knack of it too. Cheers though it’s a backup plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I just had to Google what corn plasters where.... gulp I’m gonna be sick lol!! How can you out those medicinal fungal fighting thingies near your lovely Tamiya?!?! You’re sick!

That aside, are they strong?

The adhesive usually isn't too strong but it's strong enough to stick to the paint without coming off by itself but it's not strong enough to rip off paint when you decide to remove it. I've been using em for years on almost all of my cars (race buggies are the only exception because their shells are held on by velcro) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supercoolnothing said:

The adhesive usually isn't too strong but it's strong enough to stick to the paint without coming off by itself but it's not strong enough to rip off paint when you decide to remove it. I've been using em for years on almost all of my cars (race buggies are the only exception because their shells are held on by velcro) 

Needless to say, no corns on those cars!  

• Haha 1

Why do they have to be lexan or foam? :) 

If you're gunna glue them on anyway, i buy 3/8" METAL washers and shoegoo under the body... no bodypin in gunna punch through them too soon. Usually brass as it's rust free & cheaper than stainless.

And on cars with 5mm posts... pop on a 1150 bushing! I'm sure we've all got 1000s of virginal white plastic bushes laying about unemployed :D 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Why do they have to be lexan or foam? :) 

If you're gunna glue them on anyway, i buy 3/8" METAL washers and shoegoo under the body... no bodypin in gunna punch through them too soon. Usually brass as it's rust free & cheaper than stainless.

And on cars with 5mm posts... pop on a 1150 bushing! I'm sure we've all got 1000s of virginal white plastic bushes laying about unemployed :D 

Yes! I did not think of metal washers... wood for the trees scenario... thank you pal, just ordered 50 20mm washers with 6mm Centre holes for £3

Happy now ;)

Furniture feet protective pads work a treat ! they have a bit of give for cushioning, but aren't too spongy; they're self adhesive; they come in various sizes and are quite cheap. Just punch a hole in 'em and stick them underneath the body shell.

132-Sets-Furniture-Floor-Protector-Felt-Pads-Cushion-Mats-Self-Adhesive-Chair-Feet-Legs-Glides-Skid.jpg_640x640.jpg.1601a2eb16a4a8e6872d9172b29f70f2.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Yes! I did not think of metal washers... wood for the trees scenario... thank you pal, just ordered 50 20mm washers with 6mm Centre holes for £3

Happy now ;)

Originally I thought you wanted them for ABOVE the body, so they're better clear... like Traxxas supplies their protectors for putting above the body before the clip.

At least that's what the last TRX manual that I bothered reading said. :) 

• Like 1

@topforcein not quite, those are good for rattle reduction.... not so much for strengthening the shell, not compared to a lexan disk or now a metal washer.

Earlier I linked some vinyl disks on a peel away sheet, this is what 3 of those layered on top look like, these will be better when you need to secure a body post hole that is visable through a window, rather than shoe goo'ing a metal washer in full view

LmWh32a.jpg

• Like 1

tbh jason i never though they where for  rattle reduction. when i use them i want them for paint protection i my self have never ripped the shell around the mount holes even on my revo and believe me i roll that a lot but again i use the traxxas mount sponges on the mount posts and i am still on the original shell then again the mount hole on the rear of my hornet has ripped but that has done that on every hornet shell i have had so i put that onto tamiya design.

if your worried about the washers being on show the why not colour code them so they blend in

58 minutes ago, topforcein said:

tbh jason i never though they where for  rattle reduction. when i use them i want them for paint protection i my self have never ripped the shell around the mount holes even on my revo and believe me i roll that a lot but again i use the traxxas mount sponges on the mount posts and i am still on the original shell then again the mount hole on the rear of my hornet has ripped but that has done that on every hornet shell i have had so i put that onto tamiya design.

if your worried about the washers being on show the why not colour code them so they blend in

Yeah those ones you linked ( the foam ones) are great for both jobs, rattle reduction and paint protection... I’m using some on some cars already ( the same Fastrax ones).

i actually think you might be right... I haven’t ruined a Tamiya shell yet due to body post damage but I think it’s because I’m coming from years bashing bigger 1/8 Truggies and Monster Trucks that weighed a ton and like your Revo can do some damage if a shell isn’t protected and the lexan disks was what I used back then so I guess old habits die hard and it’s followed me here ;)

These Tamiya’s probably don’t weigh enough to rip the body post hole areas but the shells take much longer to get ready, just look so good and are much more scale looking that I don’t want anything to ruin one.... so it’s better safe than sorry why I’m looking to strengthen them here.

then why not have a bashing shell and one for shelf it's what i tend to do tbh but then again out of all my rc's the only one i thrash/bash is my stadium blitzer and that cause of the go faster motor i have in it and at the mo the only damage is to the rear or the shell through wheelies.B) i dont really get the chance to take my rc's out know since i had to took my 1'1 car of the road.i have gotta get my son to take me to the leyland truck club meet hopefully this year witch i really want to do but i will depend on the day its on as its prob a 2 to 3 hour drive from my house and that will prob be the only time i get to take my rc's out this year

• Like 1

Perhaps slightly at a tangent, but I think this is could be used as an alternative adhesive and good for repairs  - something you have mentioned before?

https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/hobby/121-body-armour--5060243901576.html

I saw it on the Pole Position RC page someone linked in another thread. Can't vouch for quality!

17 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Perhaps slightly at a tangent, but I think this is could be used as an alternative adhesive and good for repairs  - something you have mentioned before?

https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/hobby/121-body-armour--5060243901576.html

I saw it on the Pole Position RC page someone linked in another thread. Can't vouch for quality!

meh, I'll stick with what I know works

shoegoofinished@2x.jpg

& has worked for decades :P 

• Like 1