MadInventor

Thundershot fitted with 53200 One Way unit

I've been promising to do this for a long time, so here it is, some pictures of how I fitted a one way unit in my thundershot:

First, the runner vehicle:

img33435_411201855710_1.jpg

It's fitted with a  4000KV EzRUN 8.5T motor which I run on 2S LiPo (Core RC shaped packs). The one way handles the power without issues (So far)

img33435_411201855710_2.jpg

I've used standard unmodified drive cups both sides of the gearbox:

img33435_411201855710_3.jpg

img33435_411201855710_4.jpg

Externally, the diff housing looks almost identical, apart from the use of 2 plastic spacers which are included in the 53200 kit, I put one each side of the one way unit:

img33435_411201855710_5.jpg

img33435_411201855710_6.jpg

The 53200 unit fits straight into one side of the diff housing without any mods:

img33435_411201855710_7.jpg

and the only mod required is to remove enough plastic from the gear side of the housing to allow the square part of the one way unit to slot in where the 3 small bevel gears used to sit:

img33435_411201855710_8.jpg

img33435_411201855710_10.jpg

That's it. Dead simple and an easy mod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I guess only front otherwise no more reverse driving.

• Thanks 1

Noticed @MadInventor asked me to add to this with my experiences so here goes. 

I fitted mine a couple of weeks ago. Went smoothly but I had a bit of head scratching working out the orientation of a couple of things so I wanted to add this to the conversion thread.
20180414_120243It wasn't obvious at first, but the metal shim in the spool kit goes here.

You install with the "lock directional engraving this way up.

I general run in wide open space in a grass field. For this the one way is great. Turn in is really good and i can see the front dragging the car straight when i pin the throttle after making a turn. 

Yesterday I ran on a track for the first time. Quite a tight indoor fine astro surface. The setup on my car became very obviously "on the nose" and twitchy on turn in. I kept tipping it over! A change of springs really helped but I suspect the one way was making it more of a handful. I did adjust my driving to be less binary on the throttle and it worked a lot better when staying smoothly on a low throttle through fast turns to keep the fronts engaged. I didn't have time to tear down the front end to try a geared diff too, and it was my first time so i had a lot to learn. I suspect much lower ride height for smooth astro will help everything next time I go to the track. 

So, in conclusion, for fast open driving it is a lot of fun and I can imagine in low grip conditions the combination of crisp undriven front wheel turn in with locked axle drive would be great. It is certainly a very easy mod to do. Squaring out the diff casing was a 5 min job with a Stanley knife.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Noticed @MadInventor asked me to add to this with my experiences so here goes. 

I fitted mine a couple of weeks ago. Went smoothly but I had a bit of head scratching working out the orientation of a couple of things so I wanted to add this to the conversion thread.
20180414_120243It wasn't obvious at first, but the metal shim in the spool kit goes here.

You install with the "lock directional engraving this way up.

I general run in wide open space in a grass field. For this the one way is great. Turn in is really good and i can see the front dragging the car straight when i pin the throttle after making a turn. 

Yesterday I ran on a track for the first time. Quite a tight indoor fine astro surface. The setup on my car became very obviously "on the nose" and twitchy on turn in. I kept tipping it over! A change of springs really helped but I suspect the one way was making it more of a handful. I did adjust my driving to be less binary on the throttle and it worked a lot better when staying smoothly on a low throttle through fast turns to keep the fronts engaged. I didn't have time to tear down the front end to try a geared diff too, and it was my first time so i had a lot to learn. I suspect much lower ride height for smooth astro will help everything next time I go to the track. 

So, in conclusion, for fast open driving it is a lot of fun and I can imagine in low grip conditions the combination of crisp undriven front wheel turn in with locked axle drive would be great. It is certainly a very easy mod to do. Squaring out the diff casing was a 5 min job with a Stanley knife.

Cheers!

Glad you're happy with it and that I haven't caused you to feel it was a waste of money. Your description of the change in handling sounds exactly like what it should be doing in theory. (Apart from the tipping over!, but I've always this problem with my thundershot.). You can see why I use one in an unwieldy monster like the TXT-1 in preference to a locked front diff.

If you're going racing and want to do a quick comparison it might be worth having a whole spare front gearbox from another machine with suspension / etc attached, so that you can just swap out the whole front end quickly.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't have anywhere near enough parts to build another front end. I am going to do more work on the setup. Maybe look at options for lowering the ride height when i next go back to the track.