Granddad Stinky

Granddad Stinky's DT03 TRF Wannabe.

A basic chassis and new parts. It doesn't get much better than this! 😁😁

Last night's activities.

rgGkvzt.jpg

I've decided not to fit these lovely hubs yet. I want to run the standard ones first, so I can appreciate the difference. They're ready to go though.

Z08e2S1.jpg

rkulfRi.jpg

It should be quite quick with 19t and 3s. 😂

jtG6i6z.jpg

XrsZYVr.jpg

bzMbDPN.jpg

3Racing HD swing shafts. 😍

zM1rBvF.jpg

yIuaPVN.jpg

PQzYw80.jpg

• Like 1

Coming along nicely @Granddad Stinky Hoping to get some of those rear hubs myself at some point. Seem to recall that @ThunderDragonCy runs a spacer under his ball connector. Might be worth finding out if there’s a reason or if it’s just personal choice. Possibly gives a better angle on the connection. 

Keep looking at those motor/esc sets on eBay. Are they good or have you no experience. 

• Like 1

Thanks.

If you space the ball connector up, it lowers the roll centre of the the car. Whether that's good or not depends on your driving style and track conditions. It'll also give a little camber gain.

The motors are nuts! 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Thanks.

If you space the ball connector up, it lowers the roll centre of the the car. Whether that's good or not depends on your driving style and track conditions. It'll also give a little camber gain.

The motors are nuts! 😂

Interesting. Something to look into. 

Yep, motor looks mad. Added to the list of options. Where did you get yours from?

• Like 1

Motor cooling is required with any DT02/03 chassis - especially when using anything more than a torque tuned.

here are some of my gearbox cutting for cooling and so a large heat sink can be fitted

050613 005.JPG

29.05.14 018.JPG

10.05.13 018.JPG

2 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Interesting. Something to look into. 

Yep, motor looks mad. Added to the list of options. Where did you get yours from?

The combo is about £36 on eBay, including the program card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Granddad Stinky said:

The combo is about £36 on eBay, including the program card.

Cool. Probably the same one(s) I’ve seen then. 

• Like 1

I was going to hold out until I could afford a set of TRF shocks but that may be quite a while, with all my other stuff on.

I'll fit these for now and make some new damper shafts and TRF style close fitting damper plates.

FRvPfaC.jpg

14 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I was going to hold out until I could afford a set of TRF shocks but that may be quite a while, with all my other stuff on.

I'll fit these for now and make some new damper shafts and TRF style close fitting damper plates.

FRvPfaC.jpg

Making your own? Stop showing off 😂 

This might be worth bearing in mind however as it comes with all the seals/o-rings/rods/clips etc and you should already have the plastic caps at least from the kit...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262965884470

Although if you do make your own, I’m already impressed but not surprised!

What are TRF close fitting damper plates? Off to google!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Making your own? Stop showing off 😂 

This might be worth bearing in mind however as it comes with all the seals/o-rings/rods/clips etc and you should already have the plastic caps at least from the kit...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262965884470

Although if you do make your own, I’m already impressed but not surprised!

What are TRF close fitting damper plates? Off to google!

I have some spare red O rings and a box of springs to choose from. The TRF plates are as thick as the centre boss in the CVA shocks and have a closer fit to the bore. It makes for a more predictable suspension when all of the oil goes through the holes instead of bleeding around the edges.

I'll make them out of PTFE, the material with the lowest friction co-efficient.

Why, do you want some?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I have some spare red O rings and a box of springs to choose from. The TRF plates are as thick as the centre boss in the CVA shocks and have a closer fit to the bore. It makes for a more predictable suspension when all of the oil goes through the holes instead of bleeding around the edges.

I'll make them out of PTFE, the material with the lowest friction co-efficient.

Why, do you want some?

Ah right. I just call them piston caps! I’m with you now. 

I wouldn’t turn some down but equally don’t go out of your way. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Ah right. I just call them piston caps! I’m with you now. 

I wouldn’t turn some down but equally don’t go out of your way. 

Nah, damper plates. 😂

I'll order some PTFE bar and knock up a couple of sets. I've nominated you as product tester, so you get to report back and keep the samples. 😁👍

I have a few of those leopard brushless setups. They are great for the money and have good range of settings via the card. 

The motors however are smaller than 500 size internally, and as a result don’t have the outright power one might expect if you’ve been using a stock traxxas or vaterra brushless setup in the past. 

Though they lack outright punch and sheer brute force, it’s actually not a bad thing in a lightweight 2wd buggy, makes it a lot easier to drive in loose conditions. 

These cheap brushless setups are simply great for small 2wd vehicles. But if there is grip I’m left wanting more.

also, loving the build.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

I have a few of those leopard brushless setups. They are great for the money and have good range of settings via the card. 

The motors however are smaller than 500 size internally, and as a result don’t have the outright power one might expect if you’ve been using a stock traxxas or vaterra brushless setup in the past. 

Though they lack outright punch and sheer brute force, it’s actually not a bad thing in a lightweight 2wd buggy, makes it a lot easier to drive in loose conditions. 

These cheap brushless setups are simply great for small 2wd vehicles. But if there is grip I’m left wanting more.

also, loving the build.

I agree, they're more of a 380 plus fins, no need for extra heat sinks. The other advantage is the reduced weight at the back, that helps keep the front wheels on the deck.

Glad you like it. 👍

6 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Nah, damper plates. 😂

I'll order some PTFE bar and knock up a couple of sets. I've nominated you as product tester, so you get to report back and keep the samples. 😁👍

😳 product tester? Me? But, but..!

Happy to give me completely amateur and novice opinion on them. Best get those electrics sorted then. 

17 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

What are the tyres?

Standard four rib fronts and dual-block rears.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:07 PM, Granddad Stinky said:

I agree, they're more of a 380 plus fins, no need for extra heat sinks. The other advantage is the reduced weight at the back, that helps keep the front wheels on the deck.

Glad you like it. 👍

I had one of mine apart once, the rotor is 380 diameter but longer so more like a 390 motor. 

I like them and use them a lot. They don't have quite the same brute force of a full brushless 540 but still more powerful than most brushed 540 motors and runs cooler and more efficiently all else being equal.

For example, even a 3000KV one is far more more powerful than a 27t silver can but consumes less power and runs significantly cooler.

The slightly lower power is also kinder on the gears which is good for older stuff or anything that simply wasn't designed with brushless power in mind.

@Man1c M0nk3y

I'm still waiting for my PTFE bar. I had a senior moment and ordered it from China. 🤦‍♂️

While I wait, I've put the shocks together as a dry build, just so I can get it on it's feet and set other stuff up.

xndLvnh.jpg

The Stabiliser bar kit arrived from Hong Kong. I've put the heavy blue one on the rear and the light red one on the front. The front one is really just to see the difference when I take it off.

I've swopped to stainless grub screws, of course. 😁

W6grNDu.jpg

mveiOCk.jpg

wazalGC.jpg

80m0lQi.jpg

Now it's on, it doesn't really do much but I might experiment with clamping the blue one in position and use it as an adjustable torsion bar to help the front springs. It could be turned on and off just by turning grub screws. I'll have to ponder over some kind of clamp bracket.

3LJU871.jpg

8GCVNCg.jpg

• Like 2

No worries. In your time is perfectly fine with me. 

Things are really moving along now. Soon be up and running by the look of things. 

• Like 1

Hurrah, it lives! I have flashing lights and beeping things. (I'll work out what they do later)

I'll have to tidy up the wiring quite a lot, otherwise @martinjpayne will be giving me an OCD lesson. 😂🤣

usbTDE9.jpg

• Like 2

Hello my friends. 
The time has come, a little earlier than anticipated and I need some advice.
As you can see, my blue and white Plasma Edge has a new playmate. The DT03 (MS TRF) is almost done, It's sitting on some old wheels until the official unveiling.

My problem is with decal decoration. I've altered the rear wing decal, put a couple of sponsorship names at the back...... and stalled, it was in danger of becoming too fussy.
I don't like the Frog theme or the Neo Fighter stuff either.
Do you think I could get away with putting TRF graphics on it? Or some other race oriented style?
I can invent bits, make stuff and mend most things but I think I was at the back of the queue when artistic talent was handed out. 😂
"When in doubt, put a Shelby Stripe on it!"
Any help or/and opinions will be gratefully received. 
If you have spare decals hanging around, I'm always up for a deal.
Thanks.

L1t4ueh.jpg

hfGxeiw.jpg

dlI5GiH.jpg

stFxzLU.jpg

mYNbyB5.jpg

• Like 6

Looks pretty good as it stands: maybe just some Tamiya legends along the side and wing, and a racing number on the nose or roof.