Sign in to follow this  
Jason1145

Alturn AAS-700STD Waterproof Servo issue

I bought 3 of these servo's, they are cheap and waterproof with a 25t spline which is what the OCD in me likes across my 30 odd cars.... no one likes change right?

What I didn't spot at the time of receiving them was that 2 boxes had the word ANALOGUE on them and one did not.

wUok0bI.jpg

So I opened up one (with ANALOGUE - unknown to me) and went to attach a Tamiya servo saver as normal and then looked for the screw to go into the spline....... um...... there was only 1 screw included in the attachment bag, it looked like a M3 and 4mm long  .... ok let's try that...... no.... it's too big to go into this smallish spine hole.... looks like the spline hole is really small... like M2 size maybe?

I tried a few of my spare screws but they are all M3 size... I don't have any M2 screws :(

Next I try opening up a second Alturn servo box to see what's inside and this has got a different bag of attachments and now includes 4 x M2 looking 10mm screws.... but this second servo (the one without ANALOGUE on the box) has a 3mm servo spline hole.... meaning these 4 included screws just slide in and out of this spline.

However.... these 4 thinner screws can now be used in the spline of the first (ANALOGUE) servo... which I have duly fitted to my TT01 now.

This second servo now has a Tamiya tapping screw in the spline (m3) ready for when it's to be used somewhere

God I've bored myself typing this so well done if you are still with me..... long story short, the ANALOGUE boxed ones take a 2.5mm screw in the spline, and the servo in the box without ANALOGUE on takes a 3mm screw... easy when you know how.

Rg2GTNV.jpg

‘ANALOGUE’ boxed one on the left

E3Arqov.jpg

PFyV66q.jpg

Below photo - the screw on the left is one of the 4 that came in the servo without the ANALOGUE on the box, the screw on the right is a Tamiya screw I have now used on this servo.

5GRifpZ.jpg

It was one of these I fitted to my M03 yesterday but I have no idea whether it was badged analogue or not without checking the box.

I followed the M03 manual and used a 2.6mm Tamiya screw (that or a 3mm self tapper depends on number of splines for the Futaba /Sanwa(?) fitment.

I have ignored what came in the box!

2_AD4_BACD_3_BE3_4_DB3_8_FC2_D3_B8927281

• Like 1

I've got a couple of Alturn low profile servos and they use 2.5mm screws, albeit they are metal geared, I assume the plastic geared versions will be the same.

ahhh ok it must be those 2.5mm screws  that came with one of my two Alturn ANALOGUE BOXED servos, still doesn’t explain why the other one came with a single 3mm wide screw.

Good to know the 2.5mm screw is purpose made... felt puny screwing it in.

I have had this issue before with a cheap servo I bought for my nephew's FTX Carnage from my local hobby shop. I guess you get what you pay for, this was after all a £12.99 servo - I don't know what the Alturn ones cost?

Are they genuinely USA-made or is that just a brand name that is put on there for marketing purposes? I ask because that servo casing looks like some of the very generic Chinese stuff. There's nothing wrong with it of course in principle, I'm just curious whether it has anything to do with USA at all...

1 minute ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I have had this issue before with a cheap servo I bought for my nephew's FTX Carnage from my local hobby shop. I guess you get what you pay for, this was after all a £12.99 servo - I don't know what the Alturn ones cost?

Are they genuinely USA-made or is that just a brand name that is put on there for marketing purposes? I ask because that servo casing looks like some of the very generic Chinese stuff. There's nothing wrong with it of course in principle, I'm just curious whether it has anything to do with USA at all...

They are made in Taiwan - the stickers on the top of the Servo tell you that. :D

Yep the box says made in Taiwan too... these were under £10 each too.

I think the best budget waterproof standard type servos with 25t splines and known 3mm spline holes are... 

HPI SF10 

Traxxas 2075

But I want even cheaper so I’ve just ordered a Etronix ES045 Waterproof servo 25t spline for £10.99 delivered - hoping it will have a ‘normal’ 3mm spline hole.... what I’d give for a 3mm hole matron!

since 2003 ive only ever used a waterproof servo a few times, id only use one now if i knew its use was to be submerged under water..

So now and since 2012 ish ive been using hobbykings futaba copy HK15138, approx £2.50 each, analogue, non waterproof and plastic gearset, 25t spline

apart from clod and txt chassis its proven to be a reliable purchase and suffers no ill effects from driving through puddles or normal driving in the rain

its one fault is if you have a crash the gearset can skip out of centre alignment so trim controls are needed to enable straight running again.

at this price, if one fails, just swap another in! 

regarding spline holes, on this servo i always have used a tamiya 3mm self tapper

• Like 1

Hobbyking 138 is great value, got dozens & haven't killed any yet... but mostly in not-RC projects :) 

For steering onroads i'm now using HK's 269 it's noticeably faster & stronger; slow off-roaders get the 288A or 328A.

Both are only slightly dearer than 138, worth paying the extra. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered a couple of those Hobbyking 15269’s... 25t spline and waterproof. Check check... @WillyChang can you confirm they use a 3mm self tapper or machine screw up top?