Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy39

Lunchbox 5th shock using fishing wire

No but I have done the fifth shock mod. Its really easy, just have to cut a small slot out of the gearbox case and drill a hole in the back of the chassis for mounting the shock. I used an old 73mm kyosho shock but you could easily fit anything from 55mm onwards. I removed the side springs to allow better articulation as well. Happy to post pics once home. 

I'd say it works moderately.  

I still prefer 5th shock.  My Pajero 1984 spec (lunchbox chassis but lower), didn't have enough room for the 5th shock.  So I did the fishing line.  The fishing line seems to stretch a bit, so less effective, but it's definitely better than nothing.  

Hi I found the fishing string mod works out best over anything you can buy or the 5th shock.

look at these videos I did I show how it works.

• Like 1

Yep, it's Shenlonco's videos that prompted me to try the fishing line method.  

Your Hornet responds very well to the fishing line method, shenlonco.  Cutting off the spring definitely helped.  So thank you!    

On Pajero, fishing line was not that sturdy. Maybe because of the awkward placing of the lines. Since Pajero doesn't have the height, I have to use the fishing line.  I'll fiddle with it a bit more to see if I can get it as taut as I see on your Hornet.  

32 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Yep, it's Shenlonco's videos that prompted me to try the fishing line method.  

Your Hornet responds very well to the fishing line method, shenlonco.  Cutting off the spring definitely helped.  So thank you!    

On Pajero, fishing line was not that sturdy. Maybe because of the awkward placing of the lines. Since Pajero doesn't have the height, I have to use the fishing line.  I'll fiddle with it a bit more to see if I can get it as taut as I see on your Hornet.  

Hi Thanks In my second video I show it on a lunch box type chassis. with the string you do not want to pull it so tight that the suspension starts compressing you want it just tight enough to take the slack out of the line so it's held up straight. and yes it works great my  hornet worked like a champ new RC's have a bad time running on this rock if you seen my other RC videos showing modern RC's in this same spot they jump and hop and bounce up and over when run on it.

• Thanks 1

Here's a much clearer pic. Kingfisher is also right that the Ampro brace works really well. I have one of those on my Hornet as there is very little room for a shock. Issue with both these set ups is the torque from the motor pulls the front of the gearbox up and lengthens and stiffens the rear shocks, hence why the madbull has a center point location for the gearbox and lay down shocks. 

DSC_0009.JPG

thanks again, great pics. I've ordered oil shocks and found a spare shock in my pit box which measures about 63mm eye to eye which hopefully will be ok....!