Baddon

Boomerang & Super Sabre rebuilds 2nd Boomerang to Winger- Also re-re BigWig build

Ok so I had bought a Super Sabre to restore and then promptly decided to sell it on as at the time I had enough to be doing with my Thundershot series.

I also had my old original Boomerang to restore which was on the long finger as I wanted to complete the Thunder series cars first.

I then turned up an un-used TBG Super Sabre body and some decent oval blocks on decent original rims (had to you know how it is?)

Then I turned up a already restore SS with the main body of a Boomerang (new unpainted) with a Terra Scorcher which I also needed and a truck load of parts.......rude not to!!!

So I put the new wheels on and body on the SS and APART from the yellow front shock its done and took me all of ........30 minutes and quite a few ££ but hey ho, no more than any of the Thunder Series cars to date.

So some photos of the finished SS complete with ESC, full ballraces, new near everything and a old school hot brushed motor.

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-16 at 18.43.20.jpeg

• Like 1

The good thing is I have picked up loads of parts now for my original Boomerang - my first Tamiya from about 30 odd years ago.

Heres how it looks now with just a bit of a dust off. I bought this car 2nd hand from the local papers 2nd hand hobby section (remember those days.....)

One of the gearboxes is very notchy (I now have a full diff and gear set so hope I can fix this without buying more parts) I also have collceted a decent number of suspension & gearbox parts so hope to be able to sort all the broken arms and mounts. I do not want a shelf Queen, but a gentle runner so not looking pristine as the SS does.

I have also found a TBG main shell so just need the wing and decals now.

OH and I want a BigWIg......I have again picked up loads parts for this just in case, including 2 complete chassis.

Boomerang & Supersabre.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baddon said:

OH and I want a BigWIg......I have again picked up loads parts for this just in case, including 2 complete chassis.

It's a slippery slope.

& it gets steep, fast :ph34r:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

It's a slippery slope.

& it gets steep, fast :ph34r:

Oh dont I know it.

3 WT01's & 3 Madbulls - the family runners with a spare MB

Midnight Pumpkin

Boomerang & Super Sabre

Thundershot, Thunderdragon, Firedragon, & 2 Terra Scorchers

and I still want a BigWig!!

Parts have started to arrive for the Boomerang rebuild. B parts tree so I am now able to keep the battery tray closed. Yooo.

Nice collection there!  I always wanted a Boomerang and had it in hand in 1987-88 while standing in line I saw the Hotshot 2 so put the BR down and got the HS2.  Wishes I would have stuck to my original intentions for my HS2 had problems after problems after.... lol nice again cheers!

Just ordered a Re-Re BigWig........dribbling while I wait and I am away next weekend so wont get to build it then........patience at what age do you acquire it??

• Like 1

Final touch to my Super Sabre, the red shock for the front arrived. YOOOOOOOOOO

Final touch red front shock.jpeg

• Like 2

This arrived in the post.

Also bought another Boomerang should be here later next week that I am going to use as a base car for a Winger.

arrived in post.jpeg

• Like 3

Got this Boomerang to use as the base for my Winger.

Its vintage in barely used condition. I am wondering if it was built with no grease as its just feels and sounds wrong but is smooth. Body is the only tatty part.

Anyone got some winger photos please?

So far thinking Black.

base car as it arrived.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Cool cars, but you lost me.  What is a Winger???

Type in Google ( tamiya winger body ). This will show you what it looks like .

It's a body from Tamiya for the boomerang super sabre chassis . Would love it get one but $$$$$$$$ . 

I know TBG make one . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, matman said:

Type in Google ( tamiya winger body ). This will show you what it looks like .

It's a body from Tamiya for the boomerang super sabre chassis . Would love it get one but $$$$$$$$ . 

I know TBG make one . 

I ordered a TBG one last night it was $29 add graphics from MCI at another $10 plus window mask $1.50 and postages. All in for under £30. Add paint (I have this already as I am thinking of black. 

Would love a set of vanquish white rims to really set it off as per this one I found on google images. Should look good in Black??

winger.jpg

• Like 3

I've never seen that body before. You learn something new every day :P

6 minutes ago, NWarty said:

I've never seen that body before. You learn something new every day :P

its one of three bodies that were never sold on a kit. They only came as a body kit and were based on a Japanese anime comic range.

The above Winger for the Boomerang range,

the Dash One emperor for the Thundershot range 

& The super Dragon for the Madcap or Saint Dragon.

• Like 2

the super dragon bodyset details installation on hornet and grasshopper 2 chassis and tshot, not seen if the instructions state the madcap etc but its no doubt possible.....

im still keen to find out if the dash 1 bodyset would fit on the gh2 chassis, it may be a better fit than on a tshot

@taffer do you have a GH 2?

If the Thundershot fits it then the Dash One Emp will as well.

the repo dash one has a different rear installation than the original

the original has a frp board, the repo does not, maybe the repo was adjusted to suit

i have quite a few rising fighters (RF) which is the same chassis

the front of the original dash 1 bodyset also has a straight bodypost, similar to the terra scorcher (not sure if they are the same)

to complicate matters, the RF comes with the gh2 bodymounts which are unused but wiuld need to actualky buy a dash 1 bodyset to see what needs to be done!

i was thinking a similar setup as the RF super dragon i did in my showroom with white,or yellow ampro parts

10 hours ago, Baddon said:

I ordered a TBG one last night it was $29 add graphics from MCI at another $10 plus window mask $1.50 and postages. All in for under £30. Add paint (I have this already as I am thinking of black. 

Would love a set of vanquish white rims to really set it off as per this one I found on google images. Should look good in Black??

winger.jpg

Egress re re has these rims now , you can get white , black & pink ish colour .  So look on E-bay .

If it's 33 pounds for you it's going to be about $60 odd for me . Not to bad price . Me have too look

and get a couple . Thanks . 

Sorry getting very slow here as the good weather has caused my other hobbies to take over. Away in caravan or out on trikes.

Will post as I do anything BUT it may be a while.

Does anyone make Super Sabre repro bodyshells, as I found out the other day that I'd bought a scrap SS chassis (minus body and some parts) on eBay some years ago and then forgotten all about it? I have looked at the Team Blue Groove site and although they seem to make a Boomerang, they don't do a Super Sabre.

Also, does anyone still make the dual front shock conversion for the Boomerang/Super Sabre?

3 hours ago, Yalson said:

Does anyone make Super Sabre repro bodyshells, as I found out the other day that I'd bought a scrap SS chassis (minus body and some parts) on eBay some years ago and then forgotten all about it? I have looked at the Team Blue Groove site and although they seem to make a Boomerang, they don't do a Super Sabre.

Also, does anyone still make the dual front shock conversion for the Boomerang/Super Sabre?

Ha , You may need to look again :P . Have link below .  

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TBG-SUPER-SABRE-vintage-tamiya/150625108840?hash=item2311f4c368:m:mQOgVBaiXcaPH0dQa3OxZqQ 

Dual front shock conversion  "No" , BUT you can buy the bits off E-bay . From SuperHOTshot ( rere ) or supershot .

This is the way i got it , for my Boomerang . 

Could I suggest a dual shock option for the Boomerang.

Now is the perfect time to fit Bigwig front shocks, shock mounts and front arms

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, Baddon said:

winger.jpg

How good does this look ????? Tamiya really are missing a trick not releasing this as an off the shelf 're-re' but not really kit. I'm convinced this would sell like hot cakes with that shell and wheels, even with standard oval block or pin spike tires. Maybe do it as a 'high end' hotshot series with dual front shocks, complete roller bearings, replica technigold motor, and front UJs (That fit) as standard. 

• Like 3