Baddon

Boomerang & Super Sabre rebuilds 2nd Boomerang to Winger- Also re-re BigWig build

6 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Could I suggest a dual shock option for the Boomerang.

Now is the perfect time to fit Bigwig front shocks, shock mounts and front arms

4 hours ago, MadInventor said:

How good does this look ????? Tamiya really are missing a trick not releasing this as an off the shelf 're-re' but not really kit. I'm convinced this would sell like hot cakes with that shell and wheels, even with standard oval block or pin spike tires. Maybe do it as a 'high end' hotshot series with dual front shocks, complete roller bearings, replica technigold motor, and front UJs (That fit) as standard. 

Boomerwig chassis as suggested with the Winger body and lightweight wheels would be a sweeeeeet ride. 

14 hours ago, matman said:

Ha , You may need to look again :P . Have link below .  

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TBG-SUPER-SABRE-vintage-tamiya/150625108840?hash=item2311f4c368:m:mQOgVBaiXcaPH0dQa3OxZqQ 

Dual front shock conversion  "No" , BUT you can buy the bits off E-bay . From SuperHOTshot ( rere ) or supershot .

This is the way i got it , for my Boomerang . 

Ha ha! Well, that's me told. Thanks for that. They didn't have one on the website when I looked a while back, but they must have them now.

I will look up the front shock options. Does the Bigwig share a chassis with the Boomerang/Sabre? If so, the set-up from that will presumably fit, too.

17 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Could I suggest a dual shock option for the Boomerang.

Now is the perfect time to fit Bigwig front shocks, shock mounts and front arms

My Boomerang already has this, see my avatar. The Super sabre is as original, the Bigwig is twin front shocked so will leave the winger as single (for now!)

3 hours ago, Yalson said:

Ha ha! Well, that's me told. Thanks for that. They didn't have one on the website when I looked a while back, but they must have them now.

I will look up the front shock options. Does the Bigwig share a chassis with the Boomerang/Sabre? If so, the set-up from that will presumably fit, too.

TBG dont have a website its a EBay shop so not all items are there all the time. If you email them directly they are VERY good at coming back to you. Also if your getting more than one body email them as they will give you some discount and save some postage?

The Chassis is not the same BUT the gearboxes, suspension are same and as such they mount the same way. SO yes you can put the suspension from the Bigwig on any of the Shot series. The chassis on the Boomerang and Super Sabre is not the same as the Hotshots BUT again all suspension and gearbox parts are a straight fit as the chassis is an evolution.

Series order with stand out facts

HOTSOT (mono shock front and rear) was Tamiya's 1st 4WD buggy racer. A total game changer as Tamiya was first to do this (all other makes rushed to follow)

HOTSHOT II rear suspension now 2 shocks still a sealed tub chassis which was a pain to work on

SUPERSHOT  - last of the SHOT chassis with twin front shocks and silver in box art rather than red and shocks are now standard Yellow buggy colour

Boomerang -(this is where I started with Tamiya) - new bathtub chassis and back to mono front shock

SuperSabre - sister to Boomerang with red parts where Boomerang has Blue and yellow

BigWig - Final evolution on this platform. Fully Ballraced, independent suspension, new chassis designed for better steering (less bump steer) and an 8.4V battery running a stock TechniGold motor (then Tamiya's top motor)

The Winger was ONLY a body option for the series BUT most commonly is seen on the Boomerang as thats what the Tamiya photos at time showed it used on.

My first car was the Boomerang which I still have and is where my collection starts ( I now have all 4 cars in various stages from the Boomerang onward on above list). I also have ALL the Thundershot through to the Terra Scorcher almost done as well, this was the series that replaced the above 4WD buggies(my own highly upgraded Thundershot was the starter on this for me). IF I ever see a Hotshot, HS2 or SS at humble money.......I will likely add to complete this series.

BUT the car a really really want is the Vanquish. In its day it was the poor mans Avante (most metal parts changed to plastic) and was after the BigWig the car I really wanted. As its not been re-re'd its nearly more expensive and very collectable. any I have seen come up ended well over £200 on EBay UK.

here is a black one that I found that is what has made me think its the way i will go with my Winger.

Black Winger.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MadInventor said:

How good does this look ????? Tamiya really are missing a trick not releasing this as an off the shelf 're-re' but not really kit. I'm convinced this would sell like hot cakes with that shell and wheels, even with standard oval block or pin spike tires. Maybe do it as a 'high end' hotshot series with dual front shocks, complete roller bearings, replica technigold motor, and front UJs (That fit) as standard.

I think I had a thread or something about this idea. I totally agree. Tamiya could have some of that old magic back in a "new" form for very little investment. The Winger body on a Boomer chassis, the Super Dragon body on a Hornet or Thundershot chassis and a Dash-1 Emperor body on a Thundershot chassis all kitted up with new boxart would be awesome. But, we'll probably get a TT02B or DT03 with a different body in shoebox-sized kit box with a kit photo on top instead.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 8:56 PM, Baddon said:

TBG dont have a website its a EBay shop so not all items are there all the time. If you email them directly they are VERY good at coming back to you. Also if your getting more than one body email them as they will give you some discount and save some postage?

The Chassis is not the same BUT the gearboxes, suspension are same and as such they mount the same way. SO yes you can put the suspension from the Bigwig on any of the Shot series. The chassis on the Boomerang and Super Sabre is not the same as the Hotshots BUT again all suspension and gearbox parts are a straight fit as the chassis is an evolution.

Thanks Baddon. I ordered a Marui Hunter bpdy from TBG a little while ago and they were super-cheap, super-good and super-quick, given that they are in Canada and I am in the UK. I conflated their eBay listings with the MCI site, as they get a mention on there. I probably should have said that they did not have an SS body listed on eBay when I looked.

Cheers for the chassis info. I will get the Hunter out of the way and then look at recommissioning the Sabre after.

• Like 1

Update, Bodies and decals are here for the Winger and also so I can do a new body in Box art for my old Boomerang.

Shells and decals

Shells and decals

Shells and decals

Shells and decals

Oh and of course the BigWig re-re. I have ordered original BigWig decals from MCI so I can sub out the new sponsors for Original.

• Like 1

Been working on the winger body this week

From the red boomerang :- and the plain TBG as it arrived WInger body.

base car as it arrived

Instructions from Tamiya Base

20181127_185102

Shell as ready to cutting out......have to admit I HATE DOING THIS PART...

20181127_18505620181127_185921Winger shell

Boy cut out and sanded, now for fitting...another fun bit the holes for the body posts and slots at the front. - First trail fit, then check locations and 

Winger shell

then cut, ream, drill, sand, re fit, adjust refit, adjust........ok nearly there

Winger shell

Winger shell

Now for the Wingers WING...

Winger shell

Test fit -

Winger shell

drill out and sand holes and refit with screws 

Winger shellWinger shell

Now it just needs paint....going to do all the bodies first so I have 4 more to get ready (Boomerang, Thundershot, Fire Dragon & BigWig)

Winger shell

And this is the colour I have decided on. Wheels as they are.

Black Winger

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

love that body. Almost makes me want to get a boomer chassis to put one on! 

First time I say it was Glenn Barkleys in cream with white decals......was not impressed with it at all.

Then I seen a platinum one........got me thinking. BUT the black......huba huba. so I just kept a saved search on Gumtree and bought the red one I started with for £60. Body and decals and fresh wheels will take it to £100. Lets see if its worth it?

• Like 1

Looks great!  I tried to buy a NIB Winger body shell a few years back on Ebay but lost the auction.  Seeing this thread has revived my interest and I took a leaf out of your book and ordered a repro.   Will be building it as a basher over the Xmas break as I have a Boomerang kit ready to go together :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quandry said:

Looks great!  I tried to buy a NIB Winger body shell a few years back on Ebay but lost the auction.  Seeing this thread has revived my interest and I took a leaf out of your book and ordered a repro.   Will be building it as a basher over the Xmas break as I have a Boomerang kit ready to go together :)

I see from your location your from Ireland, a big hello from up North. Do you know of any Tamiya vintage events? as you may notice from above i have one or three!

17 hours ago, Baddon said:

I see from your location your from Ireland, a big hello from up North. Do you know of any Tamiya vintage events? as you may notice from above i have one or three!

Cheers and hello back! :)

I am not aware of any Tamiya vintage events - although most of the year I am RC Flying, I mainly pickup again on Tamiya builds and bashing over the Winter.  There doesn't seem to have been much Tamiya stuff going on in the ROI back in the day, I have successfully infected a few friends with the Tamiya virus though and we have a Tamiya R/C Ireland group you're welcome to join, maybe it might be possible to get a vintage event going through there as there's a few guys from all over the country, I'd definately bring a couple of ReRe buggies to run anyway :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TamiyaIreland/

There's a carpet indoor track at Naul which could be fun, I wonder if there's anything around Newry or even closer up your direction?  Indoor is great because there's less cleaning!! haha

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quandry said:

Cheers and hello back! :)

I am not aware of any Tamiya vintage events - although most of the year I am RC Flying, I mainly pickup again on Tamiya builds and bashing over the Winter.  There doesn't seem to have been much Tamiya stuff going on in the ROI back in the day, I have successfully infected a few friends with the Tamiya virus though and we have a Tamiya R/C Ireland group you're welcome to join, maybe it might be possible to get a vintage event going through there as there's a few guys from all over the country, I'd definately bring a couple of ReRe buggies to run anyway :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TamiyaIreland/

There's a carpet indoor track at Naul which could be fun, I wonder if there's anything around Newry or even closer up your direction?  Indoor is great because there's less cleaning!! haha

I have taken you up on your invitation and I am pending approval. As I type this its approved. Away for a nosy and thanks,

Andrew

no worries !!

There's not much action in the group but I'll post up some more stuff and maybe if you do also it will stir the others from hibernation :)

Geoff

• Like 1

Spent today doing the Boomerang & BigWig shells. Now all cut out and ready for washing prior to masking

• Like 1

My first attempt at a driver. 

I AM IN NO WAY GOOD WITH FINE DETAIL, so i cheated and got a set of coloured Sharpie's so this is a no paint driver, took about 30 min including sanding off the mould lines from the helmet.

20181223_102647

Pro's - MUCH faster and no cleanup

Cons - ONE GO, esp with the dark colours, if you get a black mark anywhere the only way to cover it would be to use paint OVER it.

I started with the lightest colour (flesh) then eyes, then red straps, blue overalls, gloves dark red and finally the black.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

started work on the BigWig re-re.

Shells washed. I have taken the three that have blue and white (so BigWig, Boomerang &Thundershot) and left to dry in my spray booth (a big box under the extractor in the kitchen) I have marked the shells ready to mask.

20181223_19194220181223_191953

20181223_195507

20181223_201814

2018-12-23_08-49-07

Had to stop for the evening as kids in bed (lost my helpers....you know when it takes twice as long with help? esp as I had 2 and making sure they both get the same amount to do or there is war.....)

Finished the BigWig build. Did as much as I could before lunch when I realised it would not steer worth a fig....let me see....back drive shafts have LOTS of slack and front are tighter than a ducks behind........BUT they were in different parts bags? ERM...swap one side and see....seems better so swap other side and definitely much better.

Front wheels have WAYYYYY to much toe out even though built to instructions.....so sorted that as well.

took shell as far as possible without masking. Added a shelf in display cabinet for it and did more prep on my Thundershot shell (both use same colours so will spray at same time.

20181224_111451

home made shock stand to let oil settle out those pesky air bubbles.

20181224_103653

main chassis added gearboxes.

20181224_134208

Shell trial fitted and had to widen the front shock leg holes as they were toooo tight.

20181224_134222

Rather pleased with my marker-ed up driver.

20181224_140534

Now if the paint would just do its self? Oh and the decals. MY LEAST FAVOURITE BITS.

20181224_145819

Shelf added to display case for the BIGWIG. also added another for my Vanquish as well.

• Like 2

Bigwig shell masked ready for blue

20181225_182523

Set up my spray booth in the kitchen under the extractor and run it full blast to remove most of the fumes.

20181225_184052

1st coats done.

Doing at the same time as my Thundershot (using metallic blue with it as I had some over from my Bush Devil 2).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finished the blue, 4 coats. Removed the masked off white areas and rewashed and dried. 

20181226_082601

Masked up the Boomerang windows.

20181226_085702

Stated the white - 3 shells as all have white.

20181226_090712

Between coats I have also washed all the other shells left to paint. Among them is my Winger.

20181226_094505

So painted the Boomerang, Winger & Bigwig. (as well as the Thundershot, ThunderDragon, Terra Scorcher & ThunderDragon)

20181226_151455

Don't worry the red is from the overspray from the newspaper and is only on the removable cover.

20181226_202857

Then settled in to complete the BigWig re-re with MCI original decals. nearly got caught out on the drivers name as the new one (Levy Lancaster is VERY similar to Larry Lancaster, esp in white letters as they are hard to make out)

20181226_153152

Love how sharp the colours are when you take of the protective cover.

20181226_154036

Cockpit black done with a sharpie.  Then driver and instruments installed.

20181226_160111

Graphics took ages BUT spent loads of time trying to get them just as I want them. Only one I am not totally happy with is the red WEBER over the driver as its not quite centred. After this I placed each one with masking tape and adjusted till I was happy before removing the backing and sticking down.

20181226_195204

20181226_195215

Now to add it to the roller for the full effect

20181226_195528

And back into the display case.

20181226_195703

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another shelf filled.

Winger

Winger

have to do another driver figure.

Winger

Winger

Winger

Though I would try a set of BigWig rims, what you all think?

Winger

or stick with Boomerang ones?

Winger

Added to display case

Winger

• Like 2