ThunderDragonCy

Project Find A Cool Looking Body For The DT03

I love my DT03 chassis, but the buggy bodies available for it are a bit rubbish in my opinion. Always been a bit jealous of the nice bodies that fit the 02.   made it to proof of concept stage today. This is a Team Azarashi Quracca body which was originally released for the Kyosho RB5. I saw it cut to fit a TRF201 and thought it looked ridiculously cool. Did a bit of research on the RB5 and turns out it was a rear motor buggy with 285mm wheelbase, so not far off the 03. Sealed the deal that the UK Azarashi importer has a deal on these right now so took a punt. 

20180417_20195320180417_20201420180417_20202520180417_20203420180417_20205120180417_20210220180417_202210

It isn't cut completely to the cut lines as you might expect. Around the front tower is cut to the most forward cut line. The body is trimmed low. I just took the mould sill off and as little as possible to tidy it up to give enough coverage of the chassis. The rear is cut on and off the cut line to fit up against the shock mount bulkhead. There is the odd bottom corner trim here and there to clear suspension. It is pretty snug in the cockpit for the ESC and Rx but i have pretty large versions of both. 

It uses the L shaped body posts from the kit and was pretty easy to mark the rears first, set the height then do the front.

Wing is from the kit too. You get two different shaped wings. I picked the most interesting shape. Quite excited about this. Got some paint on order and the body comes with window masks and a load of Azarashi stickers if you like them. Very impressed. I'll post up when it's finished.

What do you think?

• Like 5

I really like it Cy. Much better shape. Like you, I think the Sand Viper/Desert Gator are a  much better shape compared to the DT03’s two buggy offerings, hence my current desire to switch to a truck body. 

However, this has got me really interested in staying buggy for the time being but having the wider truck wheels like in your pictures. Think it actually looks good with the wider wheels.  

Like I said in your build the spoiler is the only slight negative for me but maybe it just needs colour. I’m just personally feeling the sides are too high but that could easily be adjusted to taste I imagine.

I’m actually looking at it and thinking how I could do the colour/decal scheme the girls are wanting on this shell instead of the truck body I’ve been looking at!

Where did you pick it up from if you don’t mind sharing?

Nice find anyway and looking forward to seeing how you finish it. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

I really like it Cy. Much better shape. Like you, I think the Sand Viper/Desert Gator are a  much better shape compared to the DT03’s two buggy offerings, hence my current desire to switch to a truck body. 

However, this has got me really interested in staying buggy for the time being but having the wider truck wheels like in your pictures. Think it actually looks good with the wider wheels.  

Like I said in your build the spoiler is the only slight negative for me but maybe it just needs colour. I’m just personally feeling the sides are too high but that could easily be adjusted to taste I imagine.

I’m actually looking at it and thinking how I could do the colour/decal scheme the girls are wanting on this shell instead of the truck body I’ve been looking at!

Where did you pick it up from if you don’t mind sharing?

Nice find anyway and looking forward to seeing how you finish it. 

Don't have to use that wing, or you could chop it right down. It is highest cut line. I am just trying it. Have to say I probably agree on balance.

Hard to get the sides lower unless your ESC doesn't have a fan. Still pretty tight in there but could probably get it down a little more. That is pushed right down for my setup. 

DMS Racing has them. Was 15 quid with the wings or they do it cheaper without them. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Will look into it. Worth going with the spoiler and playing about. I’m not a fan of my current Racing Fighter spoiler anyway so I’d be happy to play about.

Think you’ve got the body sitting well tbh. No need to be lower from how it looks to me. 

Am very tempted by this, was planning on getting another full kit from Tamico as I need another body, to be honest I'm ok with the Fighter Buggy shell, not so keen on the Racing Fighter (have 2 chrome version shells that I need to sell) but this does look very nice :)

• Like 1

20180420_16451820180420_16444820180420_164527

Painted! Tamiya PS18 Metallic purple. Covers so well compared to the oranges I have used on lexan! The protective film was on the outside/underside of the wing which i believe isn't the usual way around. Gave it a go anyway and came out well. I guess other colours might not. 

Window masks were spot on but being so large and over curved surfaces they are really hard to get on straight. I used the last of my core rc metallic black for the windows. Just a light coat to do the windows and back the purple before it ran out. Pretty happy with it. Got some Tamiya stickers on the way. 

So, cool body for the DT03?

• Like 3

You could always embrace the full body? Dodge charge body actually sits not to bad!

2018-03-17_08-20-43

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

You could always embrace the full body? Dodge charge body actually sits not to bad!

2018-03-17_08-20-43

Nice! That looks cool. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Nice! That looks cool. 

Just laying paint atm, not going as planned, but hopefully won't look too bad! 😕

• Like 1

Random addition to this thread, as I was mucking about yesterday I wondered about the long narrow shape of the 03 and how it compares favourably with modern 2wd race buggies. Out of interest I dropped the Team Azarashi Fascia body off my TRF211 (which is actually for a yokomo YZ2) onto the DT03. I think it works pretty well. It's easily long enough for the chassis and fairly narrow without being too narrow. If it was cut DEEPER at the sides and correctly for the chassis and a rear wing added I think it would be a cool option. If you are looking for a nice body for your DT03 then a mid motor race buggy body could work nicely. Anything from an RB6, YZ2, or the TRF211 body 84368 could be made to work I think. 

Tamiya DT03 / DT03T chassis with a Team Azarashi Fascia (for a YZ2 mid motor buggy) body loose fitted.Tamiya DT03 / DT03T chassis with a Team Azarashi Fascia (for a YZ2 mid motor buggy) body loose fitted.Tamiya DT03 / DT03T chassis with a Team Azarashi Fascia (for a YZ2 mid motor buggy) body loose fitted.

• Like 2

The RB6 body should work too, has a similar long front through the shock tower like that. Thats a nice looking body, less cab forward. Unfortunately I don't need a new body for my RB6.6, its lasted ages and also recently reinforced so should get another season from it.

20 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The RB6 body should work too, has a similar long front through the shock tower like that. Thats a nice looking body, less cab forward. Unfortunately I don't need a new body for my RB6.6, its lasted ages and also recently reinforced so should get another season from it.

Thanks. Team Azarashi do a dedicated RB6 body called the Pholc. Have a look. I like them because they are a bit different and aren't all square edges and super cab forward. 

http://www.team-azarashi.com/Avid_products/page_thumb20.html

• Like 1

Stadium bodies fit quite well

36050219440_675c94f5db_b.jpg

i have a Mantaray shell to try on one as well 

• Like 5

Anyone found any other alternative DT-03 bodies in the last 5 years since this thread was active?

Mine is currently an Aqroshot, but I strongly suspect that my cat has got me a buggy version for Christmas, and I think it is going to remain a buggy - just not necessarily a Tamiya-bodied one. 

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Anyone found any other alternative DT-03 bodies in the last 5 years since this thread was active?

It's the wrong time of year, but...? 

20220208_155245

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Probably already in there, but I saw someone on here made a Rough Rider/Buggy Champ on the DT03. Liked the idea, really.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JimBear said:

Probably already in there, but I saw someone on here made a Rough Rider/Buggy Champ on the DT03. Liked the idea, really.

This has been on my to do list too, the Kamtec (et al) PC ones look quite acceptable. Wheelbase was my concern. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

This has been on my to do list too, the Kamtec (et al) PC ones look quite acceptable. Wheelbase was my concern. 

Apologies to the one who built this, @joeling,perhaps? but I can't remember where I saw it on here:

rough_rider.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/22/2018 at 4:13 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Nice! That looks cool. 

Should have really updated this....🙄

Didn't turn out too bad 😁

20190226_023431

20180716_215028

Bug catcher didn't last long though...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

Should have really updated this....🙄

Didn't turn out too bad 😁

20190226_023431

20180716_215028

Bug catcher didn't last long though...

Thats ace. I might've asked you before but... What are those sand paddle tyres? I was looking the other day and failed to find buggy sized ones. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Thats ace. I might've asked you before but... What are those sand paddle tyres? I was looking the other day and failed to find buggy sized ones. 

Think they're an truck tyre (2.2"). I've nailed them on a FTX Mauler wheel, with a 7mm (if I remember right) wide 12mm hex to clear the rear shocks.

Intimidator tyre :- 

https://www.game-mania.it/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_247_245&products_id=2428&language=en

DSC_0358

These are the wheels I'm using :- 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-mauler-kanyon-22in-wheels-grey-2--422589

• Thanks 1