speedy_w_beans

Speedy's "Git-R-Done in 2018" Thread

Wellllll, my employer let me know today that I will be laid off in about a month.  I think those of you in the UK use the phrase, "made redundant."  Now, I don't feel particularly bad about it -- I've been with the company almost 15 years, the severance package and savings buffer will keep me going for awhile, and I'm pretty sure I can find another position or start on a new adventure sometime in the next few months.  What this does for me, though, is it creates some time that I don't normally have for RC.  Sure, I'll tidy up some work and give my employer some token effort, work on a resume and interviews, fix some things around the house, and work on the 1:1 cars.  But here's a great opportunity to reflect on life a little and go after all those tasks I had listed in the "Plans for 2018" thread earlier this year:

So let's see how much of this we can really get done over the next few months...  As time permits I'll pick an item out of the list and post progress on it, then move onto the next one, and so forth.  A few of these are done already, so we'll get them out of the way first.  Then I'll go after the easy stuff, the low-hanging fruit so to speak, and finish up with some of the more involved jobs.

Existing/old stuff, in no particular order (also adding the team build scollins and I are doing):

• Change the electronics in the M05 Mini Cooper and make another speed run attempt.
  • Design front mechanical brakes and reduce the front caster for a modified Sakura D4; add body/tires/electronics.
  • Update the DB01Rs to RR-spec.
  • Do some ball diff maintenance on the Associated B4 Factory Team.
  • Change the electronics in the TRF801XT and make another speed run attempt.
  • Fine-tune the steering on the Super Clod.
  • Make better tail lights for the Wheely King / Dodge Power Wagon.
  • Finish designing and printing detail parts for the GF01 Heavy Dump Truck.
  • Make an interior for the CR01 Unimog.
  • Paint interiors and drivers for the RM01 787B, F104W Lotus 79, and Group C R91CP.
  • 3D print a front grill and rear aero for the F103GT GTR LM Nismo.
  • Build a 3D printer to replace the one I gave away.
  • Install electronics, body, and wheels/tires on a TB EVO 6.
  • Fix the battery tray in a Sakura D3 so it can actually take a battery.
  • Refresh my stock of batteries; some of them are getting old.
  • Finish the CC01 Amarok, in particular the snow tracks, as part of the team build with scollins.

New stuff, in no particular order:

• Set aside some time to practice and learn how to paint driver figures, cockpits, accurately weather hard bodies, and airbrush in general.  Make some attempts to improve scale modeling skills.  Learn how to get some joy from this instead of fearing it.
  • Build a custom Lunch Box -- 70's-style custom van?  Lowrider/slammed?
  • Build a custom Mad Bull -- FAV on steroids? NASA moon buggy?
  • Build a custom FAV -- full tube chassis?
  • Build a TT01E Team Hahn Racing Truck w/ alloy conversion.
  • Build an Associated TC6.1 Worlds Edition.
  • Build a stretched TB03 for a R91CP shell and a Clod shell.
  • Build a TB EVO 7.
  • Build a TRF801X with nitro motor.
  • Build a RM01 with HPI Lancia Stratos shell.

Let's have some fun, because getting a block of time like this doesn't come along very often!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Let's have some fun, because getting a block of time like this doesn't come along very often!

I love your attitude, many people would think thwir world had just ended if faced with redundancy. 

Enjoy the time off, you're absolutely right a block of a few months off doesn't come around very often, if it all, in your adult life. I had 3 months off about 18 months ago and it was amazing, I didn't realise how stressed I was etc and it really changed my perspective on life, I'm so glad I did it.

• Like 2

Good luck with all you plans Speedy and hope it all ends with some majorly completed tasks and a nice shiny new job at the end of it. The economy is always doing badly according to the neews but in reality if you have job you might not see it despite years of inflation being higher than wage rises like here in the UK, but I guess you have felt the hard end of it sorry pal.

I’ve been with my current employer for 18 years now and I think I have career stagnation?!

I’m very pleased your see your M05 Speed Run was listed first in the no particular order list... I keep looking at my 3 x M03’s with a view to take your M Chassis crown off you but that’s about to get harder by the sounds of it!

• Like 2

An excellent attitude like yours will see you back eventually, on your terms - and with some sweet projects completed in the meantime! I really look forward to seeing what you come up with ;)

Go get 'em, Speedy!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I’ve been with my current employer for 18 years now and I think I have career stagnation?!

I think when you've been in prison that long they call it 'Institutionalised', which seems like a very appropriate phrase. I've been in the same job for 20 years this year.

@speedy_w_beans

Re your to do list, some ideas from my stuff:

Some useful chassis mods for a Mad Bull: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83627-3s-lipo-mad-bull-mod/

Clod Buster Steering Mod (I made my brackets in Aluminium, but the tech drawing is in the thread for it and you could 3D print them instead): https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78578-yet-another-clod-buster-steering-mod/

NASA Moon Buggy is really crying out to be a modified G6-01, front and rear steering built in, and big enough to get solar panels, radar dishes, etc, mounted on top of it.

Looks like you've got 6 months worth of model making to get done in 3 :o, but I shall look forward to seeing what you post.

and finally, good luck with the search for a new job.

• Like 3

I've been made redundant 3 times so far, and it's not a nice experience, although, each time I've been better off!

I don't know what the rules are where you are, but as soon as we are officially told we are getting made redundant, we get paid time off for interviews, so hammer that, getting paid to goto an interview! 👍😁

Interview wise, apply for a few you don't want first, brush the cobwebs off your interview skills! (Also, in one case, they offered me a different job than I went for, and also one phone me back months later to offer me one)

I know it's not what the thread was about, but, if you walk into another job, all the redundancy pay can be spent on RC bits 😎😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'd say let's pool our Forces together and send your way, so your experience mirrors Wooder's experience and land a better job.  

In the mean time, enjoy RC projects you couldn't do (only for a while, until that new job steals your time again).  

• Like 3

Thanks all!

So, some updates to the list...

• Build a 3D printer to replace the one I gave away.

I posted about this in the "So, What Have You Done Today?" thread a few months ago.  It was a bigger pain to build than expected; details and pictures are below.  Scratch that off the list.

As it stands today:

IMG_3054.JPG

I've been discharging, charging, and storage charging LiPos today to cycle the chemistries and make sure none of the cells have gone flat.  I don't think I've driven anything in a year, and I don't think I've checked the batteries either.  They were all given a storage charge before they were laid to rest on a shelf; they normally see 20-25C temperatures so with a 50% charge and no extreme temperatures I haven't been too worried.  So far the smallest of the batteries have been fine, and the larger packs haven't given me problems in the past.  I have special plans for the four thin soft packs in the top right corner -- more on this later.

IMG_3051.JPG

• Update the DB01Rs to RR-spec.

I have the parts to do it, but it makes no sense to break into the NIP bags since these two buggies don't need maintenance yet.  Since I'm not actively driving these days I'd rather wait for the right time.

img37537_1152016110337_1.jpg

img37537_1125201661516_2.jpg

• Build a TRF801X with nitro motor.

This needs to move into the "new stuff" category; I haven't even started the build.  Better to get the partially-complete stuff done first.

Those DB01Rs look lovely. You probably already have this, but i bought the hop up to coated 48.5mm suspension shaft set in error a while back. Got nothing it will fit. Part 54388. If it's of any use PM me. 

I had a helluva time finding work here in North Carolina in 2017 - it took all of my willpower to stay motivated.  I've been living out of my car for 2 years almost and it has allowed me to take care of a lot of things, a few health issues popped up - mainly some teeth issues I am trying to resolve but I started my mortgage process today or getting preapproved really - I kinda wanna stay in my car until it gets hot so I bank some more cash.  I have a large list of to-dos like you do.  But much weirder stuff like get new glasses, go to Costa Rica to get my tooth fixed, etc.

Stay motivated it's not easy I know.

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts.  I'm still in a weird it's-happening-but-is-it-really-happening frame of mind.  I'm still logging in and generating work product each day; I should probably get more serious about generating leads.

RC-wise I'm still cycling some batteries, but once those are done I want to take care of a few more things on the list.  It's easy to let the chargers run while I'm working.

• Like 1

Some updates for today...

It's taken forever to cycle all the batteries with IMAX B6 chargers; I'm down to the last two finishing their storage charges now.  I really should look into a charger that has a higher discharge current.

• Fix the battery tray in a Sakura D3 so it can actually take a battery.

I posted about this before, but when it was "done" I left some nubs sticking out the side of the chassis because I didn't want to damage the finish on the tub itself.

However, the nubs were really bothering me so I worked on them tonight and went from a 90% result to maybe a 99% result.  I'm done messing around with this now.

IMG_3056.JPG

Also, I got around to installing the electronics in my M05 speed run car, so Jason1145 has now been put on notice...  :D

The speed run will come later.

IMG_3057.JPG

• Like 2

Shocked to read what you're going through, Paul. Hopefully you will find something as good or better than the job you were doing.

Oh, and by the way that is one beast of a racing machine you're building!

Best wishes to you and everyone over there buddy! :)

• Like 1

Thanks, Erich!  I know you've been through some challenges as well; I guess we all get a turn from time to time!

I took a day off and did some chores around the house this morning; in the afternoon I dug into the Associated B4 and the TRF801XT.

The B4 Factory Team is essentially equivalent to the first TRF201 -- rear motor layout, slipper clutch, reinforced plastic tub, nice shocks and other alloy bits.  I went through mine and refreshed it -- it's good to go again.  I know these aren't competitive on current high-grip tracks, but I still really like the look and the way it drives in general.  It's more valuable to me to keep it than try to sell it to someone else.

IMG_3058.JPG

Then I moved on to the TRF801XT.  Here's a build thread from a long time ago:

When Jason1145 started his speed run thread some time ago, I managed 54 mph with the original ESC and motor, just with a larger pinion.  Then I tried to go for broke by splurging on a 150A ESC, 2400kV motor, and 6S LiPo pack.  Well, the car would pull wheelies on command at 40 mph, and it was just too uncontrollable to get a decent run out of it.  In a moment of weakness I cut loose and did donuts, wheelies, and non-stop hard driving for ... all of 2 minutes!  It didn't take long for the ESC to pop and let all the smoke out, and it was game over before any real speed was measured.  All I can say is, for those 2 minutes too much power was simply glorious!

Since then it seems like the speed run thread doesn't have any sort of 1/8 scale category, so I'm opting to skip a speed run and simply put the original motor and ESC back in the chassis.  Here it is back to a 4S, 120A ESC, with 2100kV motor and 13T pinion.  This is the best $99 closeout kit I ever bought!

IMG_3060.JPG

• Like 2

Back at it again...

• Fine-tune the steering on the Super Clod.

I built this Super Clod, #58518, a few years ago.  It's box stock except for ball bearings.  I left the large decals off the side of the body and focused more on a clean paint job and some small details.  The steering was close, but not quite right as it needed some trim and then it would still slightly crab.  It's been bugging me off and on since I built and tested it, now I have time to troubleshoot and fine-tune it.

As it was first built:

img37537_952016100709_1_1100_.jpg

The kitchen floor is the flattest surface in the house, and it has a nice grid pattern, so it's easy to see how the steering is biased while driving the model around.  It might be a little difficult to see from this photo, but the front axle is steering straight ahead while the rear axle is steering slightly to the left.  This causes the model to drift to the right while driving forward.  The answer is to shorten the linkage between the servo horn and the rear steering arm to align the tires between both axles.

IMG_3066.JPG

Disconnecting the four shocks from the main chassis tub makes it easy to get to the linkage adjuster.

IMG_3067.JPG

Two twists on the adjuster was all it took to get the steering nearly perfect.  Compare this photo against the one above, and now the rear tires are aligned with the front tires.  I also checked the alignment of the chevrons with a yard stick.

IMG_3068.JPG

So that's another one off the list...

• Like 2

Another update...

• Install electronics, body, and wheels/tires on a TB EVO 6.

So I built this TB EVO 6 Black Version chassis awhile ago and put it on the shelf.  It's basically a carbon fiber/aluminum version of a TB04.  I even had the electronics sitting on the shelf next to the chassis, but just didn't make the time to finish it for some reason.  Today's the day!  The decal sheet that came with this chassis is very nice; most of the decals are shiny foil.  Note the 40th anniversary and EVO 6 decals on the top deck; I just like the idea of seeing this when doing battery changes.

IMG_3069.JPG

I have to admit the electronics installation is far from perfect.  The motor wires, sensor harness, ESC power wires, servo leads, etc. could all be shortened quite a bit and tucked closer to the chassis.  There are any number of hardcore racers who would go to that length for good reasons.  I'm a bit more casual and figure the electronics might eventually migrate to another chassis, so the wiring stays longer for future convenience more than anything.  In the meantime, zip ties keep things under control.

IMG_3072.JPG

I've had this Protoform P56N body for several years, and it's not been on a chassis for a long time.  Originally it was painted and installed on a TB03, but that chassis now has a Ford GT shell on it.  I like the Pactra Lime Ice, Pearl White, and Silver color combination.  Protoform supplied window masks but no window trim; I made my own using vinyl sheet material from the arts & crafts store and using an Xacto blade to trim it on the shell.  It's an improvement over seeing the paint/window tint mask lines directly.

IMG_3075.JPG

I might leave the body posts long for now; it's not a certainty this Protoform body will stay in use forever.  For today it's convenient to use a shell that was just lying around.

Next up is some work on the F103GT.  This is another model that's nearly done; it just needs the rear aero designed, printed, and installed.  The front grill is already done:

IMG_3004.JPG

Let's see if we can knock that out next...

• Like 4

Starting to make some progress on the LM Nismo...

Researching the back end of the car I realized Nissan must have experimented with several fin configurations.  I opted to take some creative license while making a model to print...

nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-marshall-pruet

Nissan-GT-R-NISMO-LM-P1-rear-3-4.jpg

Nismo_Rear_Aero_Model.JPG

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Following! Good luck with everything mate

Thanks!  I saw your post in the "how many kits do you have waiting" thread; I hope things turn out well for you too.

• Like 1

The Nismo is now all done!  I posted a similar update in my build thread just for completeness.  Finishing this car has made me very happy; it's probably the highlight of my entire past week!

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

:wub:

• Like 9

The custom piece looks fantastic and adds realism to that incredible Nissan racer! :) 

13 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Thanks!  I saw your post in the "how many kits do you have waiting" thread; I hope things turn out well for you too.

Cheers mate

Starting to make some progress on the driver figures for the 787B, Lotus 79, and R91CP...  Larry, Curly, and Moe?  The heads are glued, sanded, and primed.  I used Q-tips with one bud cut off, and a block of wood, to hold the heads upright while drying.  The cockpits are primed with PS paint.  More to come...

IMG_3086.JPG

• Like 1

@speedy_w_beans is this your last day at your old job? Have you been looking for work or decided to take some time off? I met someone today whos had 6 months off now and os loving the time off with his young daughters. He is lucky because his wife is earning enough so he can choose when/if he goes back to work. We got talking as I am working 20 - 30 hours per week now and thats all I want to do, being self employed is awesome - last week i told my biggest client I couldn't do Friday meetings as my son starts school soon and Fridays are his school visits. Not surprisingly it wasn't  a problem and our meetings are Mondays now. I love hearing stories where people prioritose differently and enjoy life much more!

• Like 1

Top class work on your GTR LM body!  If your willing to make another set I would like some 🤩

What's your plans for the M05's Electronics and Motor?  I'm planning on taking your record on the weekend if all goes well!  I wouldn't worry though as there is at least a 90% probability of a spectacular crash 😁