ThunderDragonCy

Tamiya DT02 DT03 3 Degree Toe In Rear Uprights

Hope the group mods don't mind me posting this, but after testing by me and a racer i know have decided I am confident enough in my DT02/3 3 deg toe in uprights to offer them for sale. 

I have opened a Shapeways store called CTE RC (https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cotic-rc) and have put them on there with a few of my other designs. There are fitting instructions on the part links on the store.

No one else makes toe in uprights for these chassis which is why i did them. Hopefully some of you might find them useful, or fun, or just a nice colour (There are about 10 colour options).

Here's a pic of Andy's cool DT02 and DT03 race cars and my DT03 truggy with them installed.

CTE RC 3 deg toe in rear uprights for Tamiya DT02 and DT03 chassis. Now on my Shapeways store CTE RC2018-04-21_06-49-0320180307_18063020180307_175417

There is a full installation and rundown over on by DT03 Build log 

The improvements I wanted was to reduce the size and make the uprights dedicated to the metal driveshafts. The kit uprights are bulky and bind on the wishbones. As you can see in this comparison, the new uprights allow about 10mm more suspension travel, which gives more roll capacity and more grip.

20180219_211039

No one else makes toe in uprights for these chassis which is why i did them. If you race you will find these a big step forward from the kit version. Andy (my tame racer) reports more rear end grip and stability and the ability to get on the throttle earlier out of corners. He was able to dial in more front end grip because the rear was better. Also reported it had a bigger impact on performance in the DT03 on astro than the DT02.

Hopefully some of you might find them useful, or fun, or just a nice colour (There are about 10 colour options).

If you would like to order they are available as individual left and right items. 

Left: https://www.shapeways.com/product/DHAWQ2DWJ/tamiya-dt02-3-rear-upright-3-deg-toe-in-lh?optionId=65301051

Right: https://www.shapeways.com/product/FPEB2TSM2/tamiya-dt02-3-rear-upright-3-deg-toe-in-rh?optionId=65300950

Cheers!

• Like 3

Ive been thinking of adding some rear toe and anti squat to my blitzer chassis. Im not familiar with dt chassis though, any idea what the chance might be of making these dt rear uprights work on the blitzer chassis?

9 hours ago, graemevw said:

Ive been thinking of adding some rear toe and anti squat to my blitzer chassis. Im not familiar with dt chassis though, any idea what the chance might be of making these dt rear uprights work on the blitzer chassis?

I have no idea i am afraid as i have never had one. If you measure the pin centre distance between the chassis side arm mounts, and the arm pin centrea i can compare the to the DT03. 

27 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have no idea i am afraid as i have never had one. If you measure the pin centre distance between the chassis side arm mounts, and the arm pin centrea i can compare the to the DT03. 

What distance so you need to know? Do you mean inner arm pivot to axle pin?

The inner arm pivot to the outer arm pivot and the distance between the inner arm pivots. If you can measure it, the outer arm pivot to the outer face of the rear upright. 

Inner pin to outer pin is 67mm centre to centre.

Outer hinge pin to outer face of rear upright is 23mm.

Opening width in outer of rear arm is 23.5mm but differences there are easily overcome.

12 hours ago, graemevw said:

Inner pin to outer pin is 67mm centre to centre.

Outer hinge pin to outer face of rear upright is 23mm.

Opening width in outer of rear arm is 23.5mm but differences there are easily overcome.

Just had a look and these fall pretty much in the middle of my DT03 and Thundershot 3 deg uprights in terms of geometry. Will be super easy to tweak one of them to work for you with a couple of extra dimensions though. If you can get me the equivalent dimensions on the blitzer to the attached

Thunder Dragon Rear Upright Left 3 deg toe V5 plus spacer.JPG

Additional! Making the upright 23.5mm wide for the rear arm completely knackers my CAD models because that's wider than the body of the upright. What thickness spacers do you have handy? I can easily make it 18mm wide, or maybe 17.5 so you put 3mm spacers either side? Let me know.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Additional! Making the upright 23.5mm wide for the rear arm completely knackers my CAD models because that's wider than the body of the upright. What thickness spacers do you have handy? I can easily make it 18mm wide, or maybe 17.5 so you put 3mm spacers either side? Let me know.

Thanks.

I have a lathe, spacers are no issue 🙂, just leave width as it is. Ill get the other dimensions in a bit, thanks.

• Like 1

Outer face to upper hole 32.5mm

Outer face to bottom hole 22.5

Centre of axle to bottom hole 11mm

Upper hole to bottom hole 35mm

Thats as accurately as i can measure. However, i had another idea last night that i may be able to do with stuff on hand. Let me try that first before you spend time redesigning something :)

thanks.

2 hours ago, graemevw said:

Outer face to upper hole 32.5mm

Outer face to bottom hole 22.5

Centre of axle to bottom hole 11mm

Upper hole to bottom hole 35mm

Thats as accurately as i can measure. However, i had another idea last night that i may be able to do with stuff on hand. Let me try that first before you spend time redesigning something :)

thanks.

All done if you want it. Super easy if I'm not mucking about with the overall geometry. Boss width is 17.4mm so you'd need a 3mm spacer either side and maybe shim. Always better to go a tenth too small. You would have to run camber links as I can't make the top arm attachment 3 deg as well. Or at least I don't know how without it looking like a dogs dinner! 

Blitzer 3 deg rear hub V2.JPG

• Like 1

Great! Thanks :)

its running camber links already. If my idea of an adjustable set up wont work ill see about getting those printed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

They're on Shapeways if you want some:

http://shpws.me/RSRT

😎😎😎

Thanks, i think this will be the way to go. Rear shock mounts are stopping my other idea from working.